What's new

Rotel pre/pro: is this a good deal? (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I have the opportunity to purchase from an authorized Rotel dealer the RSP-976, a demo unit, for $800 plus some shipping. This pre/pro lists for $1,200. Is this a good deal? Thanks in advance.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
That is a good price for the RSP-976,however let me share a little story with you about that model.I had purcased one about a year ago and it would have trouble holding a DTS lock.I used JAWS DTS,SEVERAL IMAX DTS DISCS,AND T2 DTS DISC as test discs.Way too many audio dropouts in DTS.I returned the unit to the dealer and took another one home.Same problems.I then thought it might be the DVDplayer,so I took the above mentioned discs in to the dealer and he let me try them on different players.Same dropouts.I then thought maybe its the discs themselves.I returned JAWS and got another one.Same problem(in the store)so I thought I would call ROTEL.They said that they havent heard of any problems and that DTS is bug ridden anyway.I was now mad.My dealer called a Rotel rep in to the store and he gave him my discs.The Rotel rep then called the factory in Japan and had them recreate the problem on the assembly line.They did recreate the problem and fixed it.Ask your dealer when the unit you want came off the assembly line(the serial# should tell you)and buy it if its a High serial#.It sounds fantastic in two channel and Dolby Digital.Dts sounds great too if its working.

Alvin_L

Auditioning
Robert, I am also looking at the 976 and what you raise is very interesting. Question: How do you know that the fix was incorporated into production and not just your unit? (Your story raises questions regarding Rotel's QA big time). Could you please provide us with some shopping metrics regarding bug free units; i.e., earliest date of manufacture where bug should not be present and lowest serial number with the fix. Thanks.
[Edited last by Alvin_L on August 26, 2001 at 02:30 PM]

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
First I must clarify that I never did purchase a 976 after all this happened.I went with the RSP-985 and have had no problems.I only know that they fixed it on the production line because my dealer/owner of my local hifi store told me they did.I believe him since I have been dealing with this store since 1996.The units serial#s that I had were in the 500s.Those are low so a higher number might get you better luck.Rotel does offer a five year warranty on all of their gear which is why I stick with them despite a few QC problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks