Rotel or Aragon for my 'digms?? SVS or 'digm for sub?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by alfredo, Sep 30, 2003.

1. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

This is what I have:
    Speakers: Reference v.3 for a 7.1 speaker config: Studio 100 v.3 as fronts, CC570 v.3 center, ADP 470 v.3 sides, Studio 40 v.3 rears.
    Processor: Lexicon MC-1
    DVD Player: Rotel RDV 1060
    Projector: NEC HT-1000

The two pending things to buy are the multi channel amp(s) and the sub(s)

Based on diferent local factors (I live in south america)I have these options:

i.-For multichannel amps:

option 1. Aragon 2007 (7x200w)

option 2. Aragon 2005(5x200w) for center and rears + Aragon 3002(2x300) for the fronts.

option 3. Rotel RMB1095 (5x200w)for center and rears + Rotel RB1090 (2x380w) for the fronts.

ii.- For the sub(s):

option 1: Servo 15 by Paradigm, 1 or 2?
    option 2: Powered Cylinders by SVS, any model, 1 or 2?

Please you opinion on the above options.

I would take other options only if price is within a limit budget of US$ 5K for both amp(s) and sub(s), the amps are no larger than 16" in depth,and the equipment is 220 volt compatible.

Yes I know, I should go an audition and buy what I like the most but I can not go to another continent to do that!!, so I will have to buy those items WITHOUT pre-audition, based 100% on expected performance as per your valuable advise and/or my personal guess.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are looking at amps in this price range, why not Anthem, since they are the same company as 'digm (not sure about 220V, but I'm sure they will be).

Sub, I'd have to say SVS. A single 16-46 PCI, maybe dual 20-39s. I have yet to hear a PB, but you may want to consider one of them. SVS should be able to help you get what you need in terms of sub(s).

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Rotel and Paradigm is a match made in heaven. I think that Anthem amps might be a little bright for the 'Digms, but I have not heard the v3's so they might have toned done a bit of the brightness from the v2's of the reference series. Also, the Rotel is a little more refined, ie air, soundstage, imaging, etc., than the MCA 50, which I believe is the top of the line 5 channel Anthem amp. You could also take a look at some offerings by B&K and Parasound, though they are a little more on the warm side than the Rotel.
    As for your considerations, I dont think that any of the amps you, I or John has listed are less than 16" deep and/or available in 220v. You would have to look at their product pages to find this info out

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Any other good matches for Paradigm? How would a Parasound compare?

5. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

Many thanks for your opinions!!!!
    The amps I listed have alerady passed the 220 volt and depth size filters [​IMG] That´s mainly why I picked them over other brands like Parasound. I will check B&K web site to look for dimensions and voltage

Another question. Do you guys have any idea why the Rotels are approx 25% cheaper than Aragons? (I am comparing MSRP to MSRP). Thats what worries me about teh Rotels, because in this price range more expensive shoould mean more cost and better performance, particularly if we are talking about companies with good reputation, with distributors, dealers, etc..

Thanks again

Alfredo

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Alfredo,

I'm running a Rotel RMB-1095 with Paradigm Studio 40,20,CC470(a;;v3) and the sound is awesome. Its a match made in heaven. As far as price goes, be rest assured, Rotels are built like tanks and last forever. Higher prices don't necessarily mean better.

Kevin

7. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

not being a fanboy of rotel or having any experience with them, i would think the rotel would be a better value than the aragon amps you listed primarily because the aragon amps you listed aren't "true" aragon but rather a dolled up version of their acurus line which while great in it's own right, doesn't hold up to the standards which used to warrant the "aragon" name. that's just my opinion. take it for what it's worth. also, don't think i'm just trying to steer business away from aragon as i own an aragon soundstage, a pair of palladium ii monoblocks, and an 8008x3b. i'm a diehard aragon fan but the lower end aragon amps are really just an acurus in aragon clothing.

kevin t

8. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

Thanks to all again!!

Based on your comments I think I will go with Rotel's

Now comes another question:

What would be a better config to achieve best 7.1 HT AND stereo music performance:

a) To use a couple of Rotel 1095, that is 10 x 2watt total, wich would permit me to bi-amp the 2 main fronts and the center?.

OR

b) To use one Rotel 1095(5 x 200watt): 1 for the center and 4 for surrounds + a Rotel 1090 (2 x 380watt) for the fronts.

In other words, would my Studio 100 'digms sound better being powered by one channel of the 1090 (380w) or bi-amped by 2 channels (400w) of the 1095?

What do you guys think?

Thanks again in davance

alfredo

9. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Alfredo:

No te compliques la vida, comprate los Rotel y luego experimenta con ellos.

Saludos,

JaimeB

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul Agent

I would recommend the HSU Research VTF-3 subwoofer highly. Very musical and accurate. I listen to a lot of classical. Currently on auction for around $600 at www.audiogon.com. Check out www.hsuresearch.com. Service is exemplary. Rave ratings.

For an amp i am biased by the Sherbourn 5/1500A a $1000 5x200W monoblock construction amp that won The Perfect Vision's editor's choice. Currently they have a 7 channel version. www.sherbourn.com

Are you afraid to live in S. America and own this kind of equipment? Your house must be barricaded like a fortress. I bet you even have body guards !? Just kiddin' man [​IMG]

Bob

11. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

This may sound dumb, but...

Is there a problem using 380 watts per main with the 1090 and 'only' 200 watts for the others with the 1095?

I guess you just level match everything with the pre/pro, and the mains would be 1-2 dB less on the trims, right?

12. Darren Lang

Darren Lang Extra

Alfredo - I am in the same situation you are in. I have the studio v.2's - ( 100's, cc, adp, 40's, servo 15 ) and I am also looking for a great amp(s) to match with them. I have listened to BRYSTON and it sounded very nice but it sounds like I had better give ROTEL a good audition as well.
    If I do go with the ROTEL I too am confused about the setup. Should I go with one RB-1090 and one RMB-1095 and have 380 watts to the 100's and 200 watts everywhere else or get two RMB-1095's and bi-amp the front left, right, and center at 200 by 2 thus giving them each 400 watts and have 200 watts going to each of the 4 surrounds. It would seem to make more sense bi-amping and giving the front speakers equal amounts of power but I don't know.
    Is there anyone out there bi-amping their 100's with ROTEL ( or any other amp for that matter ). Is it better or worse than just giving them one BIG amp and bi-wiring?
    Will 200 watts be sufficient power to the center channel if I do go with the 380 watts to the 100's and only 200 watts to the center (will the front soundstage be uneven or will I have to worry about the center speaker distorting when I give the system some good volume?)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated !!!!

13. alfredo

alfredo Auditioning

well, I decided to believe in the limitations of "passive bi-amping" explained in one of the posts, and have ordered a Rotel 1090 for the mains and will use a 1095 for the rest, no bi-amping at all, just bi-wiring.

I will let you know about my level of satisfaction after receiving my units at the end of October, or maybe I will wait until break-in is finished arround mid november.

Thanks to all

alfredo

14. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Alfredo
    I'm a little late to the party but it doesn't matter because you made the right choice.
    I have a Rotel 1075 5X120 and a Rotel 1055 reciever. I tried bi-amping my mains (Studio60 V2) with the 1075 and was unhappy with the results.
    It did SEEM to add a small amout of dynamics at high volumes but somehow the music seemed to lose some of its cohesiveness.(sorry my audiophile vocab is limited)

I think the following is the reason but I'm not sure and was not prepared to spend extra trying to find out.

I went to some trouble in getting interconnects I liked in my system before biamping and then had to add a splitter to the L+R pre o/ps which IMO totally negated the quality of the interconnects. They were not cheap splitters but they were not matched to my Heros.

Anyhow I went back to single amping each speaker and will stay that way.
    Steve

15. Vito/D

Vito/D Stunt Coordinator

For subs I recommend SVS! I have a single 20-39cs powered by an old Onkyo TX-5000 receiver. I have a fairly large room for HT and this thing just shakes like an earthquake! My guests were actually frightened out of their wits! I'm planning to get another one and power them to a Behringer 1500 amp. Now I'm scared!

You can't go wrong with this baby![​IMG]

16. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I used to have the Paradigm Studio 100's/cc450/adp's/Active 20's with a Servo 15a sub. I mated them with a MC-1 and Parasound 2205a and 2003a in a 7.1 system. The sound that I had was very good for both Music and Movies. I sold my Servo15a and went with an SVS and the bass dynamics rerally increased! My room is 8,000x3. I don''t think 1 servo was enough. I would suggest the SVS subs like the PB2+ or the upcoming Ultra. You have a very nice system. I sold my Digm setup and went with Von Schweikert Audio all around and traded the MC-1 for the 8 and for the sub went with the PB2 Ultra. It is an improvement with VSA but I still miss the Paradigms. Where the improvement comes in is the MC-8 and the PB2 Ultra. TheRotels and the Parasounds sound very close both having a warm type sopund which mate very well with the digms. Enjoy the amps!
    Steve

17. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I would use the rotel 5 channel and 2 channel. with 2 unpowered svs with a good amp. that is what im doing later on. im just running my current set up and build off that.....

18. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

So Alfredo,

When do you get the new amps? I'm very curious as to your impressions with them, as I too am interested in the 1090 for my studio 60's.

19. Darren Lang

Darren Lang Extra

Alfredo - all I can say is that I am very confused and frustrated right now. I have the Paradigm Reference studio 100 v.2's (as well as all the other matching surround studio's to go with them ) and I am currently running a Yamaha RXV-992 digital receiver with them (nothing too amazing). After reading this thread as well as several others concerning Paradigms and amps to go with them I decided to go out and audition a Rotel amp and pre/pro. Everyone has said how great they sound together because the Rotels are so `warm` sounding and they are a `match made in heaven`. I went to the store and they hooked up a pair of studio 60 v.2's with the RB-1090 and a Rotel pre/pro. All I can say is it sounded overly bright to me. I then asked the guy if it sounded bright to him and he said that it did too. He looked at the interconnects and speaker cable and said the problem was not in that area as those weren't bright cables in nature. The store does not deal in Paradigm (he just happened to have a set of 60's there at the time). He told me the problem was probably due to the speakers themselves. He took the grille off and said that the problem was with the metal tweeters.
    The store had an RB-1090 there for $2000 (Canadian), it was a trade in, so I thought, "What the heck - I'll take it home and try it out with my system in my own room." My 100's are 3 years old so I know that they are broken in and won't sound too bright. I took the big amp and a Rotel RSP-985 processor home just to see how it sounded in my environment. HOLY BRIGHT ! I'm telling you it strained my ears to turn it up. My girlfriend left the room after 20 seconds because she didn't like the sound. She said it hurt her ears. She never complains when I turn up the Yamaha (and I have read other threads where people complain about Yamaha receivers being too bright when mixed with Paradigm). I then got rid of the Rotel processor and went back to my old Yamaha. This time I used the pre-outs from the mains of my Yamaha into the big Rotel amp. The sound was definitely more powerful but it was STILL bright. I could turn it up but it was uncomfortable to listen to.
    So I'm a little P O'd right now. For years I have been reading review after review in magazines about how great my speakers are and for three years I have been satisfied with only a Yamaha reciever. I have been just waiting for the day to upgrade to separates and when I did the sound was no where near as good as I thought it would be. Thank God I can take the Rotels back and get my money back.
    I'm sorry guys but I just don't know what to think. The guy at the store thought they were bright sounding, my girlfriend thought they were bright sounding, and I thought they were bright sounding. If Rotel is supposed to be such a warm amp and be a great match for my speakers, where am I to go from here? I know my interconnects and speaker wire is not the best but at the store they were using good stuff- not bright in nature and the cd player they were using was a very good quality source( I even asked the guy about that too, the problem wasn't there either).
    Alfredo - when you get your gear hooked up let me know what you think of the sound. I am definitely not in heaven right now.

Is there a warmer, smoother amp than the Rotel?

20. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I would try the Parasound amps. There are some good buys for used 2205a's and if you get lucky you might find a couple of 2003a's for a 6 channel set-up.
    Steve