What's new

Rotel Opinions please (1 Viewer)

Steve_Barrow

Agent
Hi Folks,

I have found a 5 channel Rotel Amp used I have some interest in and during my scouring of the web it appears good value. I was hoping some folks could provide me a few opinions as to wether I should go down this road
  • Opinions on the Rotel RB-985 MK2 THX 5 Channel Amp?
  • What should I consider a fair price for this piece?
  • Any known issues with this amp? Problems..compatability?

Thanks much in advance folks

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
Rotel makes great stuff. I would check Audiogon.com for a reference on a good price.

Steve_Barrow

Agent
thanks, currently none listed on audiogone, in fact I can't find any used for sale anywhere. dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing :)

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
You can find a review of an earlier model, Rotel 985, at
These are generally reliable, good sounding amps that often do not last long on the used market. I have seen them offered for sale in good condition for $600 to $700.

Steve_Barrow

Agent
Great thank you, based on the review it appears good value and the price I have seen for it is under the numbers you listed.

I guess it spawns a couple other questions.

Any idea on what it takes to convert this to 110 from 220? the manual from rotel only states it's recommended to have the change done at an authorized service center.

2nd any idea what the difference between this amp and the MKII might be? from spec alone they appear quite similar.

Again thanks for the input

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I have a 985mkII and am very happy with it. It powers my center and surrounds. I paid $400 for mine, which was a great price.

What kind of speakers are you using? The 985mkII sounds great with my Klipsch 5.2's.

Check out Home Theater Guide for a great Rotel forum.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
The 985MKII was THX certified, but my understanding is the 985 was very similar in performance and construction. I would be surprised if someone could distinguish these two models in a blind test.

If this is a 220V unit, I would expect a deeper discount in the U.S. You may have to have the power supply modified to operate on 110V, which could be costly. Such a change is beyond most users skills. Someone at the Rotel forum linked in the post above may have an idea of the cost.

I lived in Europe for several years and ran a 110V Carver amp from 220V using a transformer without any problem. The 985 is rated at 800 watts, so another alternative may be to purchase a step-up transformer (110 V to 220 V) with a 1000 watt rating or more. You can find these for under $100. Transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks