What's new

Rotel/Marantz/B&K (1 Viewer)

ChrisVenaccio

Auditioning
What are the opinions on
B&K5125
Rotel RMB-1075
Marantz MM9000
for an amp. I am an 80/20 music/video user and have a Boston Acoustics speaker system (VR40's, VR12, VRS Pros).

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I own the Rotel RMB-1075, and I can tell you I'm very satisfied with it. It's rated at 125 watts per channel, more than enough for my listening area. I have an all B&W speaker setup. The speakers are very efficient, negating the need for 200 watts per channel.
B&K and Marantz are also quality manufacturers. My suggestion, try to demo these units with your speakers, in your home. Good Luck.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Ultimately it comes down to the sonic characteristics of your speakers. I am not familiar with them so I cannot make a judgment.
I would second the advice to try and demo each unit in your own setup. This will allow you to find the unit that best suits your needs.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Gordon C Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Enlighten me... What would be the disadvantage of having a bright sounding speaker with a bright receiver.. Or a warm speaker with a warm receiver..
I currently have Marantz and B&W... And was considering upgrading to B&K and B&W.. Why would Rotel be a better fit sonically...
I guess what I'm asking is for an explaination of the advantages and disadvantages of the warm vs. neutral vs. bright interactions between speakers and receivers (Or amps)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Enlighten me... What would be the disadvantage of having a bright sounding speaker with a bright receiver.. Or a warm speaker with a warm receiver..
For most people, the goal is to end up with as neutral a system as possible, which is why you usually hear recommendations of matching bright equipment with warm equipment. Of course, this assumes you like neutral sound too - if you prefer bright sound, by all means go ahead and combine bright components together, there's nothing wrong with that. In my experience, too much brightness is initially attention-grabbing, but becomes tiring pretty quickly. Too much warmth bores me. But like I said, those are my tastes, yours will obviously be different.

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Contrary to the opinions of some others here, I think the Bostons are a more neutral sounding speaker, and the B&Ws are a tad harsh (don't get me wrong, I own B&Ws). I do agree with the fact that the Rotel can be a little bright, but I just love that clarity. Bottom line, my recommendation is for the Rotel, but all three are fine choices I'm sure.

JohanK

Second Unit
I would also go for the Rotel out of those three listed but would pick the Parasound 1205A over all three of them.
I, personally, would never buy a B&K amplifier as I was sorely disappointed in the B&K AV5000II when I did an in-home audition a few years back.
I don't have enough experience with Marantz to really comment about their amps.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
With the somewhat bright, to my ears, Bostons, I would personally go with the B&K as it's on the warm side while Marantz and especially Rotel are on the bright side.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Andre Perusse

Auditioning
I auditioned the Rotel RMB-1075 about 8 months ago and ended up buying the RMB-1095 (why compromise, I thought).
I did read a review on the 1095 (in The Perfect Vision, I believe) and the reviewer raved on about the 1095. However, he said the 1095 seemed to roll-off the high frequencies just a teensie bit. Also printed was a comment from a Rotel VP who confirmed that the amp was intentially designed this way to sound better with most of the speakers out there. This would indicate that this particular Rotel amp is not bright at all, but in fact is somewhat warm. I would assume the 1075 has the same sonic characteristics.
Anyway, I'm using Klipsch speakers and you don't get much brighter than Klipsch. The sound is very pleasing, even with CD music which is an area that Klipsch sometimes doesn't sound so good with. I do not find the combination of the Rotel 1095 and the Klipsch to be fatiguing at all. With movie soundtracks, the combination absolutely ROCKS! (The Phantom Menace is quite the ride with this system and my Energy eXL-10 sub).
Anyway, those are my thoughts. :)
Cheers,
Andre

Luis A

Second Unit
Chris and Gordon,
If you go with a B&K amp definitely go with thier Reference Series. Don't get me wrong the ST Series is good, but all Reference Series amps absolutely KILL! :)
L

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks