What's new

Rotel, Lexicon, or Meridian (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
You can get some excellent used gear. Most audiophiles take very good care of their equipment and there seem to be a lot of guys with more money than they know what to do with that have a constant case of upgraditis. Fortunately, Audiogon provides an outlet for them to give us good deals on last years model. You might also find some good deals at Audioshopper.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Vicky,
I agree with alot of what Rich Wenzel is saying...don't worry too much about the receiver/amp thing. Or the latest and greatest features. Did someone mention "used gear"? I'm all over it :)
You can easily buy a nice used receiver on this forum. For example, there's a Denon 3801 now for $400 and a Marantz SR8200 for $1100/obo; and more come every week. If someone sells you a lemon or takes your money, I'm sure HTF members will track that person down and administer proper punishment :)
Audiogon.com and ebay are also great places to find used receivers, used amps (best value in audio IMO), and used prepros. One option is that used Denon 3801 for 400, the N805s, and two new Outlaw 200 watt monoblocks (299 each?). Or you can get Marantz MA500 125 watt monos used for about 130 each.
The most important thing IMO is getting the speakers that you want and would keep for years. The used combinations are endless....and quite easy to buy and sell later (ie, on this forum or ebay) when you want to upgrade.

Paul cbc

Stunt Coordinator
Vicky,

Go to the forum jump menu. Scroll down to "HTF Marketplace"
-Hardware for Sale/Trade-

Good Luck!
paul

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Vicky,

The Marketplace currently has gear that would work nicely with N805s: Acurus Act3 prepro for 500 (retail 2k), Acurus A250 amp for 400, Acurus 200x3 amp fo ~650, Sherwood 9080 120x5 for 500 (70 lbs with 3 power transformers). You can start with the Act3 prepro and any of these amps; if it's a 2 or 3 channel acurus, you can also get another one after you move and utilize 5.1. Or the Denon 3801 and an Acurus amp.

Vicky

Agent
Oh, so I can sort of daisy chain the amps. One 2 channel amp for the rears LR, and a 3 channel amp for the fronts LR and center. What about the sub? Oh that get connected through the receiver or prepro right? Am I getting it now? :emoji_thumbsup:

Vicky

Agent
Shoot. I thought I was getting it. :frowning: Question. Would anyone purchase equipment from a seller who does not have any history? We are talking zero feedback here... Kind of scary, I think.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator

Well, maybe... I have mine set up that way because my 2 channel amp is better than my 3 channel amp. But IMO the front sound stage is the most important in HT. It would be better to have a good 3 channel amp across the front (L & R and center). The surrounds can be run off a lesser quality amp.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Vicky,

If you don't feel comfortable purchasing from HTF members, you can buy on ebay and pick sellers with 15+ feedback. The items you'd be going after should cost less than 600 each.

Here are some 5.1 combos that would work for you (most of this gear is currently here on the marketplace, but also available on ebay):

1) Acurus Act3 ($500), 200x3 ($600, for front 3 speakers), A80 ($200, for rears).

2) Acurus Act, A250 ($400, for mains), 100x3 ($300, center and rears)

3) Act3 ($500) plus sherwood 9080 120x5 amp($450)

4) Denon 3801 ($400) plus Acurus A250

A powered subwoofer would be connected straight to the prepro or receiver, and has nothing to do with external power amps.

gregD

Second Unit
Vicky

Sounds like you're still trying to nail the basics (receiver vs separates, where the sub goes, speaker size and placement etc). For that reason alone I'd suggest avoiding used or Ebay purchases. Unless you're VERY sure of what you want AND what is expected of this kind of equipment, assessing what you've got can be problematic. Even with good intentions, things can go wrong and you can get stuck with faulty merchandise. Maybe down the road, as you become familiar with the hobby and feel the urge to experiment or upgrade, buying used (amps, anyway) makes more sense.

Since you're an admitted newbie, you'll likely have a more comfortable experience (trials, warranties, returns) with a reputable retailer... and that may be worth the 10-30% more you'll spend. Think 'peace of mind'. And visit more than one retailer (sounds like you weren't getting good advice when you were told to consider separates, with no mention of necessary power amps). Make sure they're clear on what you want to accomplish.

I still think you should identify your goals of fitting this into the house first (do you REALLY want the separates - i.e., 3 big boxes - that were suggested above?) Then figure a budget (leave some wiggle room). Then consider gear... speakers first; they are the critical subjective link in the chain... the above-mentioned 2:1 speaker / electronics expenditure ratio is sensible.

THEN go shopping...enjoy.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne....

Why have an idle channel when Listening to 2-ch music. If you listen to 2ch music, then, IMHO, I'd put the best amp up front for the L&R channels. Having your best amp for the surr's is a waste as I see it. To each his/her own!!

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Will, we're saying the same thing. I put my best amp on the mains, and my three channel amp on the center and surrounds, as would any sensible person.

The point I was making in the previous post is that I would have preferred that the three channel amp were the better or equal, so that I could have used it across the entire front soundstage.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Vicky,

Brand new outlaw 950 - $899
Brande new NAD C270 - $450ish
Total - $1350 and you have separates and plenty of power for 2 channel... When you are ready for rears, center, etc. you can get a better 2-3 channel amp and put that up front...or you could save another $75-100 and get the adcom 5300, at 2x80 you should have enough power...

however, i wouldnt worry so much about the front end (receiver/prepro/amp etc right now)...I would go out and listen to speakers in the 2k range, a pair that is, find the ones i like and then see what happens..

I would check out the thiel 1.6s if i were you, they are front ported and rather nice, and depending on finish, $2k to $2.3k....

Rich

Vicky

Agent
I auditioned the Dynaudio Audience 82's and I liked them a lot. Maybe even just a little more then the B&W's... I'll check out the Thiels... Thanks...

Vicky

Agent
Oh I have another question. I was going over the specs on the B&K 505 & 507, out of curiosity, and noticed the 505 was THX Ultra 2 certified. Now, how is that possible if the 505 is only a 5 channel output? I thought to be THX certified the unit has to have the capabilities of 7.1 ...
Please explain... :confused:

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I am not sure of the THX certification rules, and i really dont care to be honest, but if it requires 7.1, and that seems reasonable for THX highest certification (the creator of THX is working on 10.2), it could just mean processing for 7.1, amplification could come from other sources. Look at it this way, there are THX ultra 2 pre/pros, and they dont have any amplification. I am not that familiar with the B&K's, but I am sure that they are 7.1 capable from decoding perspective.

As for listening to speakers, do you bring the same music each time? you should try and do that. You should bring something acoustic, something with lots of ranges of vocals, and something with many different octaves playing at the same time.

Some of the things I use"
Paco De Lucia/Al Dimeola/John McLaughlin- A Night in San Francisco (the opening track is good enough)
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (the song phantom of the opera has a bass, and two guitarists playing the same scales all at different octaves, really gives you the ability to see how well the music separates the instruments very well)
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (in the lap of the gods, the latter, has maybe the best male vocals ever, Freddy Mercury is incredible)
The entire Overture of 1812 conducted by Leonard Bernstein (just gives you a great sense of the ability to replicate different instruments, incredible masterpiece)
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC (lets you know how punchy the speakers are)
Diver Down - Van Halen (see above, Fair Warning is an acceptable substitue)
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (i just listen to shine on you crazy diamond, if it makes me want to leave and go home and play music, then i like these speakers, a lot)

Don't go by what I use, go by what moves you, just bring a large range.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks