What's new

ROTEL dealers that discount and mail-order? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in the new Rotel RSX-1065 receiver. According to Rotel's website the expected availability is September, so it may not be available quite yet.
Does anyone know of a Rotel dealer that will actually discount off list price, and ship out of state?
My local dealer is useless.... they wouldn't even hook up a Rotel receiver (RSX-972) so I could listen to it, even though I was the ONLY customer in the store and 3 salesmen were sitting on their butts. I will not support them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I am not sure if Rotel authorizes mail-order sales of its merchandise. By searching the Internet, you may find smaller dealers that do sell Rotel by mail (as opposed to the larger electronics retailers like J&R Music World, which do not sell Rotel). However, I am not sure if you will find Rotel discounted by mail. Some high-end dealers will likely discount in the store. Again, I would search the Internet. Another source is Stereophile. You will not find dealers advertising specific Rotel products with prices, however, you will find dealer ads with lists of brands they sell. You might then call Rotel dealers to see if they will ship by mail and if they will discount.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Philip

Grip
Paul, I bought a Rotel receiver within the past year and while I might be hard to please, I am very pleased.
I purchased my Rotel from Soundex in Willow Grove, PA. I will not go into the specifics of pricing, but as with most everything in life, there was some room for negotiation.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip, I was just in Soundex last Friday. The store is huge! I've been told on Audio Asylum that Soundex will discount as well. While in the store, I only asked for the price of the Rega Planet 2000 CD player, and I was quoted $950, which is full retail. In any event, I don't know if Soundex does mail order to help out Paul. Some of the high-end dealers will only offer discounts to serious customers in the store.
People on Audio Asylum have also said that Audiolab is a good store in the Philly area for product selection and pricing. I don't know if they carry Rotel though. You can go to their web site (www.audiolab.com) and get discounted price quotes via e-mail. For example, they quoted $799 by e-mail for the Rega Planet 2000. You can also buy merchandise online. Paul, if Audiolab sells Rotel, you may be in business.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
My impression, from talking with several Rotel dealers, both here in California and in other states, is that Rotel is very adamant that its products not be sold new through the internet.
Rotel dealers, like B&W speaker dealers, seem to obey the edict, although there are occasional rogues out there who will sell out of their territories. For any type of deal (say more than 10 percent off list), you should look to demos. In your case, that would mean waiting, since the model you're interested in is only now shipping.
I managed to get a Rotel dealer to give me 15 percent off list, but I purchased two units (one a demo). This negotiation took a month to complete. How's that for a stubborn dealer?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Paul,
I would send an email to Rotel describing the problem you had with the dealer and that your consideration of their product(s) is very much dependent on auditions. If they truly are anti-internet and depend on B&M dealers to move their products, they should be dissatisfied with the service you received.
If there are other dealers near you that have Rotel, try them out. You can also ask Rotel to suggest an alternate dealer in your area. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they're unwilling to provide you with an alternate dealer or some other means of purchasing their stuff if there aren't other nearby dealers, they're history in your book (and they should be if they are not responsive to your email on all these points).
Good luck.
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
wow, thanks for your reply everyone!!
Doug, I actually wrote a letter (email) to Rotel's marketing department last night when I started this thread. I explained to them exactly what happened at the store in Buffalo yesterday. The next closest store is 1 hour 20 mins away in Rochester. I've never been there, but might go sometime.
again, thanks for all your posts.
Paul

Jerry_S

Auditioning
I live in Rochester and unfortunatly the dealer does not budge much from list price (at least my expierences). I was looking to buy a receiver, Marantz SR-7000, they would not for any reason budge from list.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
There goes my Rochester plan! :)
Since they make a much larger profit on a $2,000 receiver, you'd think they might discount on the Rotel. However, at other stores I've noticed the opposite is true. The lower priced items seem to be in more of a competitive market segment and so there is a discount, and with higher priced items they must figure the customer has the money to spend so why not maximize the profit by charging full list. I'd rather pay full list price for a $200 item, but get 20% of a $2,000 item.
I called NorthamptonAudio today, and asked if they could ship me one out of state. I told them about my situation, and how I wrote a letter to Rotel. They said they'd have to receive written permission from Rotel to be able to sell me a receiver. I respect that, but it doesn't help my situation. I forgot to ask them what their price would be.
Well, I ended up taking advantage of the special pricing on the Onkyo TX-DS898 recevier at Circuit City this evening, and I put down a $200 deposit. It lists for $1500 and the price is $999 (until someone figures out the mistake).
I think I would have enjoyed the more detailed and refined sound of the Rotel, and I'm not even interested in the 7 channels of amplification and DTS-ES Surround EX the Onkyo provides. But it's hard to spend twice as much, and not know for sure if I'd be able to hear the difference in sound quality.
The RSX-1065 is a really hefty beast at approx 48lbs, and would be better at driving more difficult speaker loads. My speakers are pretty easy to drive, though... so the Onkyo should perform well-enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks