Rotel CD player opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

My local dealer has the Rotel RCD-951/61/71 models on clearance. They are demo units, but they will give me the full warranty. Does anyone here have one of these players and would like to give me the [​IMG] or[​IMG] Thanks for any help.

2. Greg Zinselmeyer

Greg Zinselmeyer Auditioning

That wouldn't happen to be the HiFi Centre would it? =D I was looking at those as well, but I'm not really in the market.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I seriously considered the 971 a few years back, but instead went with a Cal Audio Labs Icon MkII. I thought the 971 was a bit overpriced at full list (the few Rotel dealers here in the SF Bay Area aren't much for even a miniscule discount), so I went with the Icon.

I seem to recall the 971 retailing at either $599 or $699 US. If you can get a decent discount on a demo, and the dealer is reputable, go for it. The 971 is a well-built, quality player if you're interested only in Redbook CDs.

Mark

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wayne, Rotel makes good CD players. However, as always, be sure to compare comparably priced players. Arcam and NAD make quality single-disc players, for example.

5. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to have a listen on the weekend. Greg, are you spying on me?[​IMG]

6. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I'm very happy with my Rotel CD player, I don't recall the model number at the moment (at work) but it is a single disc unit at around the $500 price point.

I did blind A/B tests with it and the next model up ($700, I believe), and I could not tell any difference, so I went with the cheaper one.