What's new

Rotel and Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I'm considering purchasing a used amplifier to power my Studio 100's... From what I've read, Parasound is a great match, but I want to broaden my options. Does anybody have any feelings on a Rotel/Paradigm combo? Is there any reason why they wouldn't mate well together?

Thanks,
Martin.

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,

I love my rotel RB-1090 and Studio 100s setup.
Hopefully you can demo different amps and decide what you like.

Andy

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Currently running a Rotel RMB-1066 with my Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350. Martin, what Rotel amp are you looking at?

Kevin

John_W_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Martin, I'm using an RMB-1075 with Paradigm Studio 40's, CC, and 20's--GREAT sound IMO. I've owned the Studio 40's for a little while and was only considering the Rotel when I discovered a review in Stereophile on the RB-1070. The reviewer tried the Rotel with a few different speaker systems, but found it worked best (in his opinion) with his Paradigm speaker set-up. So, I purchased the 1075 a couple days ago and I'm lovin' it! :)
BTW: the price of the 1075 has dropped since last year--from aprox. $1200 to $999.00.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I've been running Studio 40's for about (2) years and have powered them with Yamaha, Denon, and HK receivers, and B&K, HK, and now the Rotel 1075 amp and I think that it is a great match!

Brings out great midrange and upper frequencies, without becoming harsh at all.

Phil

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Thanks all! That's encouraging. Any other amps make a good match? What about ATI?

Kevin,

I am not really sure. Whatever comes along. I guess ideally I'd like to find a used RB993, or perhaps the RB991.

Martin.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Martin:

Be aware that the new RMB 1075 and RMB 1095 and I'm assuming their 2 channel counterparts may sound alittle different on the top end than the 991 or 993. Rotel evidently changed something in their amps which almost gives them a slight roll-off on the top end in order to mate better with "brighter" speakers and to sound better on "brightly" recorded movies.

I've never really cared for Rotel amps until these new models came out.

I've listened to the 991 and preferred the sound of the 1075 with my Paradigms.

Phil

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Phil,

Thanks for the warning. I don't think it will be a problem for me however, since I'd prefer a flatter response. If I could find a used Anthem MCA-2, I'd grab it.

Martin

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I run the 1095 and Paradigm Ref 60's.... with a Marantz AV9600 (or is it 9200??? Whatever)

For the most part, I like it. It is a bit bright to my taste- I notice an emphisis in the higher, female vocals, high horns and cymbals.

Had a bit of a problem with the first 1095- it blew itself up. Rotel was good about replacing it, but it was only 2 weeks old, so that should be expected.

So, yes, I would recommend. Pretty well balanced, with a bit of extra top end...

dave

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Martin,

Just a heads up but I have been told by many that the Studio 100's are very power hungry speakers. If you looking for amps I recommend to stay in the 200w or more range. This has been noted from many HTF members here.

Either the Parasound 2205AT or the Rotel RMB-1095 would be best with your 100's.

Amir

Agent
I agree with with Greg. I have studio 60's front and studio cc center with 20's in back. I tried the 100Wx5 Rotel amp in comparison to the receiver's amp (Denon 2800) and there was little if any noticeable change in sound quality then I bought the Parasound 2205 and the difference is unbelievable. With the 100's you need evern more power and the Parasound can deliver. Good luck.
Amir

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Martin, I home demoed the rotel 1095 and parasound 2205 with my studio 100s and both awesome amps I felt the parasound complimented the 100s better. Imo, but you can get a hundred opinions and the only one that counts is yours so if you can demo these amps you should and you decide:D
good luck Bob

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
To add another selection to the mix, if you can demo a Sherbourn, that too might be a good comparrision.

I have the 100's bi-amped (passive) with 2 X 200 and I am very happy with the setup.

The only other amp that has been mentioned that I was able to compare was a Parasound 855A bi-amped (passive) with 2 x 85. I prefered the Sherbourn over this particular model, even though it did a fine job.

I wanted to demo the Rotel, but the local dealer's price was more then I wanted to spend on the Model 1095. As Greg has mentioned, the 100's are power hungry.

I've heard nothing but positive comments on the marriage of Paradigm and Rotel.

Much luck Martin. Please update us on your final decision. All of these recomendations are good ones.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I'm currently consider an RB990BX. It's 200Wpc and made in '97. Price seems pretty good (for Canada, anyway). The current owner has it mated with Studio 40's, and thinks they go well. I really don't want to get into the costs associated with a current line Rotel, so I think this may be a good compromise. If I ever find another, I could passively bi-amp for a bit more oomph. What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Martin.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
There's also 2 HCA-1000A's on eBay. They can be bridged to 300Wpc or 350Wpc, depending on the mood of Parasound's marketing department that day. I noticed that that they these amps don't use their popular mosfet driver section, so would likely not sound as nice as higher end gear. Any thoughts on that?

Another question: bridging or passively bi-amping? Or better to just a bigger amp?

Thanks,
Martin.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I at one point tried the Rotel (991?) with my Studio 100's and returned it the same day. Just didn't like the front Sound Stage reproduction. A tad thin for my tastes. I find my new Parasound HCA 1500 to be warmer, and more dynamic. The fact of the matter is we all hear sound differently, so one may like one particular amp better than another. I suggest a demo of both Parasound and Rotel if it's possible at your audio dealers.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Martin,
Since you are in Toronto, you should be able to find Anthem MCA amps for a good price. My neighbor and I bought brand new Anthem MCA-3's last month for $795 CND. I'm using it with Paradigm Studio center and surrounds.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I didn't realize that your in Canada. I have heard that the prices for Parasound are not that good in Cananda which is ashame since its such a fantastic sounding amp.

You might want to consider what Wayne suggested with Anthem. It seems like a popular choice in Canada.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I am using an Anthem MCA-5 with my 100v2's. I have had this amp for two years or so. I am very pleased with the sound/performance and will be looking into the MCA-20 soon. I will use the 20 for L/R, and will use the 5 for the remainder of this 7.1 system.
Check out www.canuckaudiomart.com/ or www.audioeden.com/ if you are interested in the used market. Most of these vendors are in your end of Ontario and of course everything is in Canadian dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks