What's new

Rotel and Klipsch?? (1 Viewer)

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I am pondering the idea of adding an amp to the setup, like the Rotel RMB 1095, a nice 200w x 5 should wake up the system :D Right now I am using a Pioneer Elite 53TX to drive my Klipsch RF-7 mains, RF-5 rears, and RC-7 center. I LOVE the sound the Pioneer puts out, I like the crisp bright highs with all the detail to eat up :emoji_thumbsup: Does the Rotel have that same match as the Elite does? I know some amps are more warm than others, what amps keep that clean brighter sound? I would like the 1095 in the silver finish, I love that look, but am open to other options in that price range. I have seen the 1095 for $1400 area, is that a good deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jay McC

Agent
I run Rotel and picked it because it is NOT bright. The dealer i purchased it from sells both Rotel and Pioneer Elite and i really felt the two were on opposite ends of the warm/bright spectrum.

I love my Rotel but from your preferences, its probably not the type of sound you are looking for.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You should give the rotel a listen and see if its the sound you are looking for. That said the 1095 is way too much power for those klipshe speakers given their efficieny. The 1075 at 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms would easily be more then enough power for your speakers.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

I have been running the Rotel 1095 with my Klipsch Fortes, Academy, and RS3's for about a year now. The sound is definitely NOT bright... it is more neutral to warm-sounding.

I am not very pleased with the two-channel music listening from the Rotel; I went from a McCormack DNA1 Deluxe to the Rotel, and the Rotel is not near as revealing or live-sounding as the McCormack.

The Rotel is very solid, however, with 5-channel film material, and does not strain at all with my very efficient Klipsch speakers.

I have been sold on more-power amps, even with these Klipsch speakers, for a few years now. Primarily because your's and mine still have those big cone woofers that need a lot of power to move enough air to give a good bass slam.

The fully horn-loaded Klipsch (Klipschorns, Belles, LaScala) are another matter entirely; they can do just fine with just a few quality watts. I believe that's also the reason I am disappointed with the 2-channel music performance with the Rotel unit: the midrange and tweeter horns on my Fortes need a higher-end amp (like the McCormack) to really sing.

My biggest problem with my 5-channel amp decision was that many of the best contenders were not available to audition; not only not locally available, but there was no way to listen to the units that were local on a 15-year-old speaker; no local dealers are willing to give a full refund if I got an amp home, and didn't like it.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with movies on my Rotel; I just don't enjoy music as much as I did before.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Jay - Thanks for letting me know they are more of a warm amp, not what I like perference wise.

Andrew - If I had a local dealer that could couple the two (Rotel and Klipsch) I will check it out. I am not sure about the too much power thing though, I know my Klipsch are efficient, but they are capable of handling 250w a speaker. Most pepole that I know that have Klipsch say they don't really come to life until 200w or so each, and the bass response is TREMENDOUS then, right now I am not pleased with the bass output of the big RF-7's at all, hence me owning 3 SVS's :D I am putting out 100x7 right now with the 53TX, so 20 watts more per channel isn't worth the money to me, another 100w per channel, yeah that would be worth it ;)

Lee - Ah Heritage Klipsch, nice :) sucks that it's not bright though, I really like to hear all the detail and not feel like I am missing stuff, I doubt you miss anything if it's warm, but I have grown to love that brightness. I had a HK AVR 520 before the Elite, and it was more warm, I liked that at the time, but after switching to the Elite, ah I love that clear high end. I would hate not being able to enjoy 2 channel music though, is it just dull sounding or something?? Looks like I may have to look at other amps, I guess I could look towards Parasound or Sunfire, have you auditioned those at all?? I would like something that looks as well as it performs too, the Halo series are beautiful :)

Thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it!!!

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

My Rotel isn't exactly dull-sounding; but it does lack the brightness you're looking for; and I have never, ever, felt like the performance is in my living room, like I did with my McCormack DNA1.

That amp, along with the same-brand TLC1 pre-amp, Nordost interconnects, and Kimber speaker cables, helped music nearly bring me to tears more than once....

I have read some very positive user comments about the Halo series with Klipsch; I nearly went with Parasound, but the fact that I had to mail-order it without ever auditioning it, and the close spacing of the speaker terminals (my Kimbers are terminated with large spades), kept it from final consideration.

If I had it to do over, I would just bite the bullet, and somehow convince Mrs -M to consent to allow me to buy the McCormack 5-channel amp.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
Lee - thanks for the info, are the McCormack amps expensive or something? Is that why you didn't get another one or did you want to try something different for the 5 channel? I have heard good things about the Halo and Klipsch too, not sure where I can get a good deal on the Halo though, I bet they are pricey too ;) Does McCormack have a website?

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Last time I checked, the website was McCormackaudio.com... I think Conrad-Johnson distributes the McCormack components these days, although the components are still based on Steve McCormack's design philosophies.

And yes, price was the issue with not getting the 5-channel McCormack (HT5); it retails for about $3700, and I couldn't quite justify that to the Mrs. at the time...

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Scott,

The Rotel is very warm...one of the warmest brands out there...Not bright at all. If you can't test rotel and klipsch together, go to a place that has the pioneer and the rotel, and cross test them on the same speaker, see which sound you like better. Make sure that they are played at the same SPL (not volume number on the receiver)...

If you friends are using 200 watts with almost any speakers, never mind klipsch in a normal enclosed environment, they don't need to worry about quality sound, they will have such hearing loss it wont matter....

Rich

Scott,

You might just consider sticking with what you have, particularly if you like the sound quality. With a hundred watts out now, 200 out will increase the maximum system output only 3dB all other things being equal, which is just noticeable.

Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks