Rotel 972 is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Young, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Mike Young

Mike Young Auditioning

I was auditioning some speakers yesterday and finally came across some B&W speakers (602 s) and I really liked them. The same store had a Rotel 972 receiver for 1450 bucks Canadain.(is this a good deal) The package that I put together was somewhat out of my price range but I am considering it. Is it worth it to buy this receiver now or should I buy something less expensive now and maybe buy an stand alone amp later?
    The setup consisted of 2 602 floorstanding speakers 2 600's for surround a LCR 6 for center a ASW 1000 sub and the Rotel receiver which was about 4700 bucks Canadian.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mike I'd recomend you not get the B&W sub and save some money that I'd put into the receiver. While the B&W sub isn't bad there's no reason why you need to buy one that's the same brand as the other speakers and there's cheaper units with equal performance to that model such as some of the Paradigm models (PW2200 is very good for the money). For receivers I have owned the 1066 pre amp and now the 1055 receiver which is the model above that one and IMO its worth the jump to the 1055 since it will get you into the newer DD-EX and DTS-ES modes but more importantly it gives you the ability to flash the firmware which will greatly extend the life and quality of your purchase. Rotel is firmly standing behind these models and has already released several new firmwares to address a few things that the user community wanted changed.

I realize that you said the package you looked at was already stretching your budget so my suggestion to jump upto the 1055 might be unrealistic but I still think it would be a wise investment. Looking at your speaker choices you might consider not buying the towers for the mains and going with smaller bookshelf speakers instead. Since you'll be buying a sub anyway you will want to run all your speakers as small anyway so some of the 'benefits' of towers will be lost. Also with the way the Rotel handles its bass management the crossover point is global in that what you set it for rears is what its set for the mains so having small rears and large mains doesn't gain you anything when you cross them over at 80 hz. For music some arguments can be made for larger mains but again with the Rotel 972 and the 1055/1065 and 1066 in their present form this doens't gain you anything either since you're still best off setting them to small. anywho feel free to email me if you like regarding the Rotels etc

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I would say that the biggest determinants for sound quality are room accoustics, speaker placement and the quality of your speakers.

Therefore, I would not spend more on a receiver than I would on my speakers.

Also i believe the 972 is an older model and may lack some features. Also, I think it has very few digital ins. The price he quoted you seems to be fair though.

If it were me, I would choose a cheaper receiver as they depreciate fairly fast especially compared to speakers, and spend more on the speakers.

Good luck,

Rich