ROTEL-1098 need advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt Zielinski, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Matt Zielinski

Is it worth to spend all that $$ on new Rotel 1098 or should I consider something else.
    Thank you for suggestions
    Matt

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Matt:

Everyone's opinion of what something is worth is directly related to how much one can afford.

How much money do you have invested in HT? Do you have a dedicated theater room, a projector, big-ass speakers and a killer amp?

Do you watch movies any chance you get?

The 1098 retails for about $3,000. There are many fine pre-pros at that price and even a few that cost less. Me, I own the Rotel RSP-1066, which lists at half the price of the 1098 (I got it for even less than that). I'd buy it again in a heartbeat even at list it's that good. But what I want in a pre-pro may not be what you want.

I'm sure others will offer their opinions on the subject.

3. Matt Zielinski

I use it for music and allot of movies, I have about 300 dvd's in my collection.I have about $3000.00 for it. I have 2 separate amps first is 5 chanel and second is 2 chanel. I like upgradibility option from Rotel and unique disign. I curently have Integra 7.1 chanall reciver. I also have seperate theater room which is 22' by 14' sound proof. I curently have invested about $30k in the theater. I like the looks and the clearity of the sound 10 times beter than my Integra, is it enaugh to go on it.
    Need sugestions.
    Thank you
    Matt

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Matt I made the jump from a 1066 and then a 1055 to the 1098 and I LOVE it. The flexibility and improved sonics were astonishing. This question comes up quite a bit on the Club Rotel so you might want to read some of those threads too.

5. Matt Zielinski

Hi you all,
    I'm picking up my 1098 tomorrow, I can't wait. Starting to make room for it. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope I made a right choice.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well you'll need to write a nice check for it but yes you made the right choice[​IMG]

7. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

Matt, the 1098 is a nice unit but you should also listen to the B&K Ref. 50. It is now $1000 lower than the 1098 and is more flexible and upgradeable. I A/B both of these units and I (IMO) thought the B&K was a mucher nicer unit than the Rotel.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Ref 50's a nice unit as well. I didn't realize it was that cheap now? That said here's what's on the B&K site regarding upgrading...

"Through software and hardware upgradability the Reference 50 redefines value. Upgradability is not a guarantee, it is a methodology of designing, engineering and manufacturing products that allows us to offer future upgrades if the enhancements to the processing of audio signals and changes in technology have widespread support in the industry and are economically viable."

Given that you could easily argue the Rotel is upgradeable as well. We know for a fact Rotel has already released a new firmware for it and given its card based design upgrades to the hardware could be possible as well if as B&K says the market warrents it.

How is the B&K more flexiable then the Rotel? I looked though the online documentation but didn't see much that indicated it had much more then the rotel. I do see ballenced connections, at tuner and the THX decoding (Rotel has its XS processing that is very similar) I don't see the abilty to upconvert video signals to compontent like the rotel can and the rotel obviously has the TFT screen which is handy for DVD-A etc. I'm not trying to put down the B&K just pointing out that they're both top tier processors that are fairly similar with each offering some features the other lacks.

9. Matt Zielinski

Ok, I got it it is in place, Its looks very nice on my shelf. I will watch a movie with the wife in 10 min, she likes it too. I also bought new 1075 Amp wich gives out more power that my old no name amp.
    I will let you know my first impresion in 2 hrs.

Matt

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Matt that's the same combo I have. You might want to make sure there's something soft on the floor just in front of where you're standing b/c your jaw is going to hit the floor[​IMG]

11. Matt Zielinski

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is good, What a seperation.
    This is my new baby, My jaw whent throught the floor and it blew me away. I know, what I was missing in my H/T a good sounding Sestem and now my serch was over. What a diffrence from what I had and what I have now. Sound is Amazing we watched The Cradle of Life. My wife told me " this new whatever you got it makes the movie this much better" and to hear this from her thats good, that meens that she really injoy it. I read allot on Rotel last week and found the new 1098 the most upgradible processor on the market for my pocket. I had 2 choices right from the start Rotel and Krell they both sounded to me semilar in the store but Rotel was allot cheaper. This is the choice I would recomend to anybody. this pre/pro is I think the the most sexy looking on the market and the LCD makes it for me the best product on the market for years to come.
    I think this is it for me, it is time to go and watch X2.
    See you soon
    Matt
    [​IMG]
    Andrew what speakers are you using

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

13. Dan Magnin

Dan Magnin Stunt Coordinator

Matt, I'm looking at making purchase of the Rotel 1098 also. Would you care to mention how much you paid for yours and where from? I'll understand if you don't wish to. Anyways, after reading your thread, i'm even more eager to complete my dedicated room and start watching some good dvds. Do you know if your Rotel is equiped with the latest software? Now don't take my word for this, but I remember reading somewhere (forgot where) that you can check what software your pre/pro has by pushing in the mute button on the front face plate and holding it. If I'm not mistaken, the latest software should be 1.1.6. And, whatever that means I don't know. Like I said, don't take my word for it. I'm just looking for confirmation. Thanks. Dan.

14. Skip

Skip Auditioning

Dan-

Typically a Rotel dealer will give you 10% off. Some will give more but 10% is normal. Even if it doesn't come with the latest firmware, the necessary cable is included and the latest firmware is always posted on the Rotel website.

-Skip

15. Matt Zielinski

Dan,
    Like Skip told you, It depends on the dealer and how much stuff you buy from him. Yes I thin I got good deal on it with the trade in of my 7.1 chanal reciver for it which I bought from them. I aso bought TV from them and the speakers. The more you buy the better deal you will get. People are deal with is Canadian Sounds in Brampton but I do shop around. If you are in Toronto Area I would recomend Canadian Sounds The next one on the list Would be Audio one in Vaughan and than Bay/Bloor radio in Toronto. My 1098 came with old software and it took me 10 min to upgrade it. Its so eassy like a walk in the park.
    Holp this helps
    Matt