What's new

Rotel 1095 with Klipsch... (1 Viewer)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
This amp is on the short list, but I do not have the opportunity to audition is with a setup even similar to my own (Klipsch Fortes, KLF-C7, RS3's).

I have read that this amplifier can be a bit on the "bright" side, which may not be a good thing with my horny speakers; anyone with experience, please feel free to comment (please, not about my horny speakers)...

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I run a Rotel RB-985mkII and a RB-1070 with Klipsch KG series speakers(5.2's,4.2's, and 2.2v).

Sounds great to me, much warmer than when I was using Acurus amps.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've heard many very satisfied people commenting on how they loved the sound of Rotel amps with Klipsch. Parasound amps (which I use) are reported to be warmer and, consequently, a better match for some. Personally, I think both would probably match up fine and a lot depends on the particular sound you like. There's nothing wrong with a bright sounding system, but we're talking about degrees of brightness. By the way, I haven't heard (or at least don't recall hearing) many describing Rotel amps as bright sounding.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I added a Rotel 1095 to my Klipsch Forte', C-7 and 3.1 rear speakers.

Nothing like good power for good speakers.

What are you planning to hook the amp to? Receiver, Pre/Pro?

I used Monster PowerLine2 speaker cables to the front and center. They sounded very good. But, I got the upgrade bug and bought some Cardas Crosslink. Both cables worked well with the amp and speakers. Cables can help tame the horns in my experience.

I've since sold my Forte' speakers. But, kept the C-7 (a very good center speaker) and still use the 3.1 for my rear speakers.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel,

I will temporarily be using the HK AVR520 Receiver as a pre/pro, but plan to upgrade to a more serious processor in the (hopefully) near-future (looking at B&K Reference 50,
Anthem 20, and Rotel RSP-1066).

So what mains did you replace your Fortes with? I plan to keep mine longer than the 14 years I've already enjoyed them... if I swapped them out with anything in my current home, it would be for Klipsch Cornwalls (sort of hooked on horns...)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Warmth wise Dana is right about Parasound. It would be a better match to Klipsch. Rotel tends towards warm to neutral so it might bring out some of Klipsch's brightness. B&K amps are also a great match to Klipsch due to their warmth. I would never go with Acurus, Anthem, ATI, Outlaw or Bryston if I were using Klipsch.

My 2 cents.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i'd look at my room if i was displeased with the performance of my speakers. after that i'd look at myself and wonder why i chose them.

Yogi

Screenwriter
i'd look at my room if i was displeased with the performance of my speakers. after that i'd look at myself and wonder why i chose them.
That would infact make the biggest difference in how the speaker sounds, but a lot of times room treatments are not the best way to go about taming speaker brightness, mostly due to our significant others. I would love to carpet my walls behind and on the sides of my speakers but my wife would kill me if I dare mess with her room treatments. We have a lot of black metal statues and glass tables around our house that would contribute to the brightness of my speakers but moving them away or installing rugs on the walls is not the option for me and so I have to go with the amp route so I can tweak my system to my liking. I got myself a B&K amp (mmm love its silky smooth sound) and now I love the sound of my system.
I spent a little more $$$ compared to going with room treatments. Saved a lot of time compared to tinkering with room treatments. Lastly and most importantly made myself and my wife happy as this was a win-win situation for both of us. I let her take care of room treatments (of course I dont let her put statues in front of my speakers) and I take care of my AV system. Now if I can only find a tube pre for my 2-ch music listening:).
Moral of the story: if you have the ability to tinker with your room and speaker placement do that first as it will make the most improvement in how everything sounds Once you have done that start playing with components that mate well with your system and give you a sound that you like.

rob-socal

Agent
Yogi: Are you still running the 3802 as pre/pro or did you upgrade ? which B&K do you use and how does it sound vs. the internal amps ?

I've got the upgrade bug wanting to warm up my 3803/B&W600 setup.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Lee-M,

I bought the Forte' back in 1988. But, really wanted the Cornwalls. Budget came into play at that time.

I liked Klipsch for two reasons. One, they sounded really good compared to what was out there. And two, you could really crank them and sound really good.

I didn't want to sell the Forte. But, did want a more musical speaker. As I've said before here. It took me two years to find a speaker that really made me want to replace the Forte's. I found the Vandersteen 3A Signature and thought (and still think) that they just sound wonderful. But, after hearing the Revel F-30. I bought the Revel. There is no fatigue when listening to the Revel and a midrange that is something special.

I still think that for HT Klipsch is very hard to beat. They sound good and can really crank.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Lee-

I was also looking at Rotel for powering my Klipsch (Ref3s), but was concerned that the Rotel would be a tad "forward" for me, so I took Yogi's advice and started to look seriously at the Parasound. The great thing about the Klipsch is that you don't need 200W/channel, so a nice 80-120W SS amp will do very well. Don't fall into the trap, Bigger does not necessarily mean BETTER, especially when Klipsch are going to use only the 10-20 W. In the end, I ended up getting a Parasound HCA-1205A for a reasonable price. I'm still using my Denon 3801 as the pre/pro as my Acurus ACT-3 is still out for repair (ARGH!!!). I found that the Parasound had the same warmth of the Denon, but with a bit better detail, clarity, and base response. Also, after calibration the front soundstage seemed to be more centered. However its not complete nirvana, I have several problems/grips about the setup. First, when I power on the system (via Monster 5000 MkII) and listen for a while, I hear a crackle in the right speaker. To "remove" the crackle, I cycle the power to the pre/pro & amp and it "fixes" the problem. (I'm waiting for the ACT-3 to verify it is a problem with the 3801 and not the amp). Second, I was expecting a larger boost in performance as compared to the 3801 Amps, better clarity, better and more stable soundstage, etc, but it was only a slight improvement. I listen to mainly classical CDs and the perceived location of an instrument tends to fluctuate or emanate from one speaker or another. I don't know if its a result of the recording or part of my setup, yet when I was watching LOTR in Stereo (by accident), boy was the imaging dead nuts on, I couldn't believe that there wasn't a center speaker, it was excellent. I'm still doing critical listening to clarify my opinion about the amp, but overall, its not a bad amp...I'm dying to try it with the ACT-3 to see how things improve!!!

-Dave

Yogi

Screenwriter
Rob,

I am still using the 3802 as the pre and I dont plan to upgrade for atleast 2 years (crossed my fingers on that). The amp I use is Proceed Amp2 for mains and Ref 7250 for the rest. I have also tried the Ref 7250 on all the channels without the Proceed and it sounds quite a bit better than the 3802's internal amps. Much smoother esp. at high volumes, and a midrange thats seductive compared to the 3802, not to mention the rock soild bottom end. When I first switched the 3802's internal amps with the 7250's I only noticed a slight difference. Nothing to swear by. I kept using the 7250 for about three months. I was in the process of building a rack for my equipment and I unhooked the 7250 and put the speakers back on the 3802. When I then turned it on to watch a movie I was shocked at the flatness and lack of smoothness on the 3802's amps. Man did it sound different! If anyone is not convinced of the benefits of separate amplification I suggest they listen to the amp in their system for atleast a few months and then go back to their receiver's amp and see what I am talking about. I think hooking up a separate amp to your receiver is the best way to upgrade and hear the most immediate difference (after a speaker upgrade ofcourse).

Your B&W's sound excellent with Rotel amps. Have you considered it?

Best of luck.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
DaveLenhert,

Are planning on upgrading your Act-3 to the Stage One through the Klipsch/Mondial offer?

I've been waiting for sometime for Klipsch/Mondial to finalize the details of the trade in.

I also have the Act-3.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel-

Yes, I plan on upgrading (not trading-up) the ACT-3 to the StageOne. My experience with the ACT-3 has been an entire fisaco! I purchased it new and Digital board was DOA, so I got an RMA to return it to JMP Electronics (The maker of the ACT-3). No big deal right??? WRONG!! Apparently, they didn't have a replacement Digital board and are waiting for new boards, that was around the 1st week of SEPTEMBER and I'm still waiting. I have called Klipsch/Mondial numerous times as to the status of the repair, to no avail. I have finally told them to do whatever is going to happen first, repair or upgrade, but its still taking forever. From the last conversations with Klipsch/Mondial they will announce the upgrade/trade-up program at CES and start doing the upgrades soon there after (Feb 1st seems to stick in my mind, but don't quote me on that). If I may be frank....Taking 3 months to repair a part is simply UNACCEPTABLE and I'm to the point knocking heads off if I don't hear "We will have it too you next week". The real stinker is that there are atleast 4 other units at JMP with the same problem as mine and some have been waiting longer then I. Hell, I have an $100,000 instrument being made for us (at wrk) that is taking LESS time then this simple repair that I could have done in 5 minutes IF I had the Digital board.

Sorry for the rant..been simmering since the 1st since I was told we would have info on our repair units.

Time to call Klipsch/Mondial again.......

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
The Rotel is on my shelf now... I tore everything off the rack to get it in, and finished up just in time for wife and daughter to go to bed, so no intense listening until tomorrow night.

After re-balancing my speakers and playing one selection (LOTR:FOTR, "Journey in the Dark" chapter), I can say with just the one small listen that:

A. The Rotel did not seem "bright" at all; rather warm, actually,

B. My front soundstage sounds soooo much cleaner, as does the surround atmosphere (I was formerly running a two-channel McCormack DNA-1 to mains, and HK520 receiver amps to center and surrounds), and

C. I seem to have a hum in the system (God, I hate troubleshooting that one...), even with all components through the Monster HTS800, exept the Rotel amp, which is plugged straight into the wall (hospital-grade outlet), and a cable ground filter doo-hicky. I had a hum in my mains through my McCormack amp previously; now it's through all five channels. Any advice would be welcome...

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
where is your monster HTS800 plugged in?...if you are on a different circuit or even just a different outlet from the rotel, you probably have a simple ground loop....

try it once with everything, including the rotel, plugged into the monster HTS800....

russ

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Lee-

Try as Russ has suggested. This sounds like the std ground loop problem. I found that when I plugged my Parasound Amp & Sub Amp into the Monster 5000MkII the ground loop humm was much lower as compared plugging the Parasound directly into the wall (into the same outlet as the Monster). There was also a noticeable reduction of the hiss created by crummy power due to the filters in the Monster. Anyways, the quietest humm levels were achieved by using cheater plugs on BOTH the Parasound & Sub amps while still connected to the Monster. Monster naturally says "Don't Do THIS" but all they are trying to do is protect themselves from lawsuits. The quietest background is paramount to me and has caused continual upgrades and tweaks to my system. Guess that is what happens when you like the highly efficient Klipsch speakers......

Good luck
-Dave

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I've never heard Rotel's amps being described as bright or even forward. Their amps have always been described as neutral or warm, with a gradual high frequency rolloff, and my ownr RMB-1095 confirms this. Its a beautiful amp :)

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Sihan Goi,

Yes, that's how I'd describe the sound; in fact, the high-frequency roll-off is a little unexpected, and unfortunately, not quite as realistic sounding as my McCormack.

I'm wondering if a little silver in my interconnects might help? (i.e. DH Labs Silver Sonics). Formerly, silver interconnects I tried made for an excruciating high end...

RobertW

Supporting Actor
!!!). I found that the Parasound had the same warmth of the Denon, but with a bit better detail, clarity, and base response.
that's exactly the impression i got. they sound almost identically, except the parasound is so much cleaner and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks