Rotel 1095 vs Sherbourn 1500a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Mollura, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

OK, I finally have narrowed my choices down to 2 amps (well, really 3 but besides RAF I don't think anyone has heard the Outlaw 755). So what do you guys think? Rotel 1095 or Sherbourn 1500a? 60% music 40% HT, B&W 604s2 up front, LCR6S2 center and surrounds.

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Joe,

All I can tell you is from my own experiences...both are solid amps. I had it narrowed down to those two and the Parasound 2205. My setup is more like 95% HT, so that is mainly what I demoed for. For HT, the Parasound and Sherbourn just sounded a little bit cleaner to me. So it came down to those two, and I was able to get the Sherbourn for $600 cheaper than the Parasound, so I went with that. Your experience may vary, as you use your system for much more music than I do. The Rotel may be better suited for music, I don't know.

Scott

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Joe,

I think you going to get good reasons to go with both amps. Here's my take. I demoed the Sherbourn 5/1500A, Rotel 1095, Parasound 2205, and ATI 2505(great amp, but exceeded my $2000 limit so I had to exclude it). I bought the 1095. I've read several post from people that have said Rotel and B&W are a perfect match. Kind of the way people say Parasound and Paradigm are a perfect match. The Rotel might be a better match for the B&W speakers your looking to get. I can't say anything bad about the Sherbourn. It's a great amp. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I am also using B&W 604s with a Rotel 1090. Perfect fit. I love the sound for music, that's what I bought it for. I'm getting ready to make a leap into the SACD world and will be picking up a 1095 next month for my center and surrounds....LCR6, 602s, DS6s.

I don't know if you've gotten a chance to check out the Rotel 1080 review in the new Stereophile. They hooked it up to Revel Salons and B&W Signature 800s as well as a pair of Paradigm Studios. The Rotel was OK with the Revels, but did a very nice job powering the $20,000 B&W Sigs. It's a good read and a great testimony to the matching up of Rotel and B&W, IMO.

FWIW...I've never heard the Sherbourn amplifier, no one sells them in Alaska. I did compare the Rotel to Krell and Macintosh on the higher end...Marantz, Adcom, B&K, and HK on the mid-priced front.

Jeremy

5. Joe Mollura

Legairre,
    That's what I have been hearing. It seems like either amp will do my system justice. I think I am leaning toward the 1095, I actually got to hear the Rotel/B&W (Shelbourn dealer did not have B&W) combo and it sounded sweet![​IMG]Any other happy 1095 owners out there????
    Now if I could just get my hands on a Outlaw 950[​IMG] (to bad I didn't register until Feb)[​IMG]

6. Legairre

Joe,
    I've been waiting for my dealer to get in some of the new B&W 604 S3s. Their supposed to be a sweet match with the 1095. If they sound as good as everyone says. I'll be a B&W owner as well.[​IMG]

7. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Jeremy, I would love to know how you think the B&K compared to the Rotel? I am contemplating B&K 7250 Vs. Rotel 1095 for about the same price.

Thanks.

8. Jeremy Hegna

"Jeremy, I would love to know how you think the B&K compared to the Rotel? I am contemplating B&K 7250 Vs. Rotel 1095 for about the same price."

Aslam,

The B&K was a good amplifier, a little more expensive than the Rotel...I think they wanted $2500 if my memory serves correct. The B&Ks use Mosfet circuitry in their amplifiers so they tend to be pretty warm sounding. The Rotels seemed to have more of an edge on the B&K in the highs and in the lows. The Denon 5800 is pretty neutral, IMO, and my speakers (B&W, 600 series) tend to be neutral to warm...so the Rotel was my choice. It does sound very good with the Denon/B&W combination...where I thought the B&K (I tried both the 7250 and the 2220 2 channel amp) was pretty laid back, almost too mellow with this combination that I was using. If the speakers were brighter, maybe the B&K would be a good match for a system...say Klipsch, Paridigm, etc. Also, specs are tough to find for the B&K stuff. True specs, like damping factor...8ohm/4ohm comparisons, and all of the electrical measurements necessary to determine the quality of a power amp.

The reviews I have read on the B&K seem to be pretty good, especially matching them up with a B&K pre/pro or receiver.

Rotel, on the other hand, has readily available information on their amps. They consistently put out very potent power supplies...whether it's a multi-channel amplifier or stereo. They also come very close to doubling down their power when you drop the ohm load. Low distortion, great reviews, and the fact that they are so hard to find on the used market were also determining factors in my decision to go with Rotel. I A/B'ed the Rotel 1090 with a Krell integrated (350A?) with the same speakers and processor and I was very hard pressed to tell the difference.

Jeremy

9. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Page-11 amp Spec's
    I have a B&K guide that has the Spec's for all the current B&K amps, I still have not found it online.
    Also here

10. Jeremy Hegna

Thanks Jerry...first time I've seen them.

Seems weird that B&K only supplies power ratings at 1khz and almost 1% distortion. Otherwise similar specs between Rotel and B&K as far as damping factor. The S/N measurement on the Rotel was significantly higher 116db compared to the B&Ks 95db. Also, the B&K sucks some serious juice...nearly 1900watts and almost 18amps! That is a seriously hungry power supply.

I wonder why they aren't readily available on line???

Jeremy

11. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

12. Legairre

B&K really should publish the specs for the 20hz-20khz frequency range and not just at 1khz. I'm not accusing B&K of anything, but a lot of receiver companies only publish the 1khz rating because the receiver's amps don't maintain the same power over the entire frequency range. Lots of them make peak power at 1khz and drop off either before or after the 1khz mark. If your really interested in the B&K you could always ask them for the figures for the enrite range.

13. Joe Mollura

I finally decided on the Rotel 1095[​IMG] Due to a prior engagement I didn't get it up and running until 2am. My initial impressions... WOW!!!!! My B&W 604s2 sound like totally different speakers (85 watt Yammy was obviously not getting the job done. Plenty of bass, and crisp clean highs. Can't wait to sit down tonight and see what this beast can do for HT. To say the least I am very happy with my purchase.[​IMG]

14. Legairre

Joe,

Thanks for the update. I'm waitng for my dealer to get me a Rotel 1066 pre/pro and B&W 604 S3 speakers. When he get everything in. He's letting me demo everything at home with my 1095 amp. It's sounds like I might be real happy with the B&W speakers. I'm dying to hear the setup at home.