1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

rotel 1095 vs. parasound 2205

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertW, Jul 14, 2001.

1. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i just visited the parasound website, and see they've lowered their prices substantially on their products. i've auditioned the rotel with paradigm studio 100's, and a lower line parasound, the 855 with studio 60's, and while they have different sonic characteristics, i love the sound of each.
    i haven't been able to compare them head to head in the same room, so i'm wondering, which of these would you guys recommend for a system of all paradigm reference, studio 100's, cc, and 20's? my local dealer carries parasound, and i could probably get a better deal on them than the rotel.

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Personally, I would pick the Parasound 2205AT over the Rotel 1095 but both are quality amps, IMO.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

3. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Johan,,
    Why would you choose the Parasound over the Rotel..
    I thought you were a big fan of Rotel.
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Trevor
    http://www.joey6p.com/trevor
    Equipment List updated
    New digital pictures!
    June 12,2001

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Robert the 2205t mates fantastik with the Studio 100's and CC450/ADP450's / Active 20's. This was my setup until 3 months ago.I tried the Citation 7.1 but found it a little lacking in the bass depatment. The 2205 really takes control of the 100's and brings out the bass they are capable of.It is also airy in the upper end.Crisp not bright.Rotel are nice amps but I am a Parasound/ John Curl fan.I have the 2205at and the 2003.You can't go wrong either way.There is lots of headroom in the 2205 and you would hardly have to worry about clipping.
    Good Luck,
    Steve Morgan
    ------------------

5. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

well, that's my dilemma. as i said, they both sound terrific with the studios, just different. the rotel seems very neutral, good bass and a fairly airy treble, but not harsh. the parasound sounds a bit darker, warmer, more lush, however you want to describe it, also with great bass and treble. it's gonna be a tough decision, perhaps with much listening time in my future. the 855 i heard sounded much like my denon 3300, which will probably serve as pre-pro for the time being, but with more substance and heft to the sound.
    perhaps i'll just try the parasound two channel, and maybe see if i can demo a rotel against it in my room. a fairly inexpensive start, and i could pick up a five channel in the future and bi-amp the fronts, plus leave the option open for 6.1. all parasounds have a family resemblance to their sound, i'm assuming?
    i thought johan was a rotel guy also. the parasound must have converted him. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by RobertW on July 15, 2001 at 08:37 AM]

6. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I recently got the Parasound 2205 which replaced my beloved Rotel RB-985. I have only heard the RMB-1095 at the dealer but my dealer also sells parasound so I have compared the 1095 and the 2205. I didn't choose the Parasound because it was the clear winner. These two amps are both built well and sound as good as anything for much more money. I just happened to get a better deal on the Parasound. Cost being equal(or not a factor), you've got a hard decision. I really can't comment on the fit of these two amps with Paradigm as I have B&W speakers so only listened to them.
    Good luck,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

7. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    I polled a little ways back what amps Paradigm owners were using and I would say Rotel and Bryston are the leading candidates. I have not heard any Parasound amps so I can not comment on them. I was at a local dealer earlier this week and listened again to the Studio 40's with
    Rotel RB-991 (discontinued 200x2) and LOVED them! I personally leaning towards going with a Paradigm/Rotel/ Denon set up. Denon 4802 w/ Rotel RMB-1080 (200x2) for the mains and Studio 40's up front/center and Studio 20's as side and rears.
    So this is my experience with them. By the way how do the Mountains look this summer? This is the 1st summer I will not be going up to N.Conway. [​IMG]
    Michael

8. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Trev, I do like Rotel gear. However, since my new Parasound amp, I've switched gears a little. Circuit board seemed of higher quality while wiring was of thicker gauge and shielded; soldering was about the same (not great but serviceable), connectors about the same but Parasound has variable gains.
    However, I'm comparing a 110x5 Rotel to a 200x3 Parasound so my POV is a bit skewed me thinks. The Parasound seemed to be better suited for my speakers and room (which yield a 'bright' sound). The 200 wpc helped also. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

9. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

hey mike, the mountains are still there! the weather's been a bit unpredictable lately though, we've had showers just about every day for the past week. trying to get myself back into shape on the bike, so looking for better weather the rest of the summer.
    i may buy the two channel parasound; with my dealer and trading in a small thing or two, i might be able to get it for around $600. the warmer parasound may be my best option, as i am in an apartment at the moment, but contemplating the move to a house sometime in the near future. this warmer sound may be a better match for any future rooms. still plan on listening to the rotel more, as i do like the sound. but i'll probably be able to get the parasound(and any future ones) at a better deal. plus i get to support my local dealer.

10. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

just found out today that the parasound hca-1500a has been discontinued. that was the two channel i was looking to pick up. anyone know of any online places to get parasound, preferably authorized dealers? or a brick and mortar that will ship?

11. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Robert-http://Audioadvisor.com/default.asp
    ------------------
    It was like that when I got here,
    Chris B