Rotel 1095 vs Aragon 8008-5X

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Cerfolio, Dec 8, 2001.

1. David Cerfolio

David Cerfolio Auditioning

Anyone with thoughts on which of these amps would best work with a M&K S-150 THX system? I'm a little worried about over-brightness with the Aragon....

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Aragon's are not bright. They are however revealing. So it's important to have quality components in the signal path.

The choice between a Rotel and Aragon 5X is a no brainer. The 5X is a real amp not a toy, 106lbs. Something that you can use for decades.

The Rotel is a price point built, corners cut to meet that goal. It's not bad, but it's certainly not in the same league as Aragon products. Acurus products are on par with Rotel.

If/when you upgrade the rest of the system you'll sleep soundly knowing that the Aragon is a world class amp. They are frequently called 'the poor mans Krells'. Personally I think they sound better than Krells. They have a tank like build, are stable driving any load, and offer great sonics.

With the current 'closeout' pricing, 5X's are a steal.

Get the Aragon........

PS, I have 2 tri-amped systems, combined they're driven by 3-8008BB's and 4-8008ST's. Recently I did hear an amp that sounded somewhat better than the BB's, that was the $4000 Ayre V-5.

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The aragons were originally designed by Dan D'agastino of Krell. How much of the later designs were done by the same people or followed the same design path, nobody knows.

Krell probably had 3 - 4 complete redesigns since the 4004. If Aragon keeps the name the same, it would seem like there is no big change in the newer ones.

4. David Cerfolio

David Cerfolio Auditioning

Thanks for the comments....cheers.

5. Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

At twice the suggested MSRP of the rotel, the aragon better be much better. If you can get them at the same price, the aragon is a steal. I also heard some rumbling about aragon going out of business, so consider that when making the decision.

BTW the rotel amp weighs almost 90 pound, being fairly massive in its own right. It is not a toy. It is a fine amplfier at the 2k price point, and will likely give you years of excellent service.

6. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

While the Rotel might not be in the same league as the Aragon, I think its quite a bit better than what Acurus can muster. The Rotel RMB-1095 IMO is a better amp than its Acurus equivalent, the A200x5. I personally have the 1095, and its definitely also built like a tank, sounds like a champ, and all the reviews of it have been glowing.

7. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Reasons to get the Aragon 80008 5X, current price $2399
    http://www.yawaonline.com/amplifiers.html
    http://www.audioholics.com/Staff_rev/Aragon5.htm
    BTW, according to the Rotel website the Rotel 1095 weighs 75lbs. The power doesn't double when the load is halved, and it can't drive anything lower than a 4 ohm load.
    The 5X runs 26 watts class "A"/channel. Above that it switches to A/B, 200 watts/channel 8 ohms. The power doubles down with each halving of the load, and it can drive 2 ohm loads 24/7 without batting an eye. There's a reason it weighs 106 lbs, part of that is monsterously 'stiff' power supply, and the large heat sinks.
    Mondial was bought by Klipsch last spring. Two of the three original Mondial execs are still with the company. Mondial is on rock solid financial ground . The Acurus name has been dropped and a new component line up has been previewed.
    Here are photos of the new product line
    http://www.klipsch.com/newscenter/ph...ONDIAL-DESIGNS