Rotel 1095 Owners - PLS HELP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DexS, Apr 12, 2002.

1. DexS

DexS Extra

Hi All

I have just bought a 1095. I am all ready and excited over this monster amp. However the protection LEDs kept coming on after about 20mins of usage. I initially suspected that it is overheating or wiring issue but I have checked all the speakers and RCA interconnects. The protection is erratic, sometimes all channel is shut down sometimes only 4. Center channel survives sometimes. I am using some low end interconnects for the time being and all my speakers connections are going through banana plugs. Or could be my current supply that is having problems.

Can you advise what could be the reason ? I am greatly disappointed.Guess that I will send it back to the dealer soon.

Regards

Dexs

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Dex,
    If you are able to get it up and running for a while, as you said...then it protects, you may have a faulty unit. You mention that you are using some low quality interconnects....may want to go back to your dealer and borrow a pair of good ones...see if this solves your problem. If all else fails, I would take it back to your dealer and have them put it on the test bench for some time.
    I know it's a bitch moving it around. I have the 1090, similar in weight to the 1095...but at least yours has wheels on it[​IMG]
    Jeremy
    BTW, Don't give up on the 1095. It really is a great piece of gear. Rotel and their dealers are very quick to respond to problematic units. They'll take care of you.
    Jeremy

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

The 1095 is very good at sensing a problem. I've had my 1095 go to a safe mode and later found it to be due to my stupidity.

Are you using a Pre/Pro or a receiver? You may want to unhook the amp from the processor and see if it still goes into a safe mode after some time. Are you using the Amp directly from the wall or plugged into something else? I see your in Singapore. How's the power over there? I wouldn't think that's an issue but worth consideration. And of course a call to the dealer may be in order to see if it is in fact the Amp.

Jeremy, How's the 1090 holding up. Broken in yet? How's it performing for you?

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Dex,

As you probably already know from all my post praising the 1095. It'a a great amp. I run mine for hours at high volumes on full range speakers and it hardly even gets luke warm. If the protection lights come on at anytime other than at startup then the amp is faulty(granted you don't have it in a closed rack and it's getting hotter than hell). If it was the outlet then the circuit woudld trip. Definately take it back. You paid a lot for it. Your dealer shouldn't have a problem. Besides it has a 5 year warrenty.

5. DexS

DexS Extra

Hi Guys

I am very appreciative for your advices. This is a very good forum and I have no regrest since joining last week. You guys are great !

I have since changed the power supply cable, interconnects and double checked all the connections again and again.

Thanks vm

Dex

6. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

DexS,

Make sure you aren't overheating the unit. Make sure it is getting plenty of ventilation. If this is not the problem, I have found that the 1095 is very sensitive to other devices on the circuit you have it plugged into. A dimmer switch or bathroom fan with heater can cause it to trip its internal protection circuits. Try plugging it into another circuit and see if the problem persists, before you bring that heavy thing back to your dealer. I'm going to install a separate 20 Amp circuit eventually for my 1095. I think this is the ultimate solution. If all else fails, I would call your dealer and let him swap out the unit for a new one or have Rotel service it.

Jeff

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I also recommend a call to the dealer for some input from them. Other than that start by just having your pre/pro and speakers hooked up. Play the radio and see if it trips. If it does, remove one speaker at a time to see if its a certain channel thats causing the problem. If it turn out not to be the speakers or pre/pro then add back the other componets one at a time. Question: What speakers and pre/pro are you using?

Kevin

8. DexS

DexS Extra

Hi Kevin W

I am using Denon 3800 ( ancient one ! ) as my processor and using Q50 as my DVD player. Very simple setup. I will try putting the amp in the open as it is in a shelf right now. I did not know that 1095 heats up pretty quickly and very much. The heating may be tripping the circuit to cut off the operation.

thanks

Dex

9. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

Dexs,
    Do you have all five speakers connected to your amp? I just bought my 1095 and had problems like you described. A forum member was gracious enough to let me test my amp using his gear [​IMG] It works nicely and didn't even get warm after about half hour. Because I have only 3 speakers right now, several people here think that it was the problem. Here's thethread that I posted awhile ago.

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Jeremy, How's the 1090 holding up. Broken in yet? How's it performing for you?"
    Real well. It made me buy a new pair of speakers...crazy amplifier[​IMG] It's performing well, sounds great, and runs nice and cool.
    Thanks for askin'
    Jeremy

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter