What's new

Rotel 1095 Hum (1 Viewer)

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I have a ground loop hum coming from my cable TV line. I can defeat the problem with a 2-prong cheater plug, but I'd like to have my amp properly grounded. Can anyone point me to some devices that fix a cable grounding problem?

I've found this on partexpress
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=180-075

Does anyone know if this device would interfere with my Time Warner Digital Cable?

If this wouldn't work, any other suggestions? Thanks,

Rob

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Before you start shelling out money to solve the problem get your cable company to come out and properly ground your cable. This may solve the problem. Another option maybe to run a piece of wire from your cable box if your using on(ground screw or screww on box) to the same on the amp. Then running a piece of wire to the center screw on your socket.

Kevin

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I did the same thing Kevin suggested about 3 yrs ago when I got my 1095. Worked like a charm.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I think Time Warner in NYC is notorious for for it's poor customer service....so getting them to properly ground the cable line in an apartment building may be a non-starter.

Just so I understand your other suggestion, I should run a wire from a screw on the cable box to a screw on the amp. Then I should run a wire from the middle screw on the wall power outlet to where?

If I'm using two cable boxes, do you think I'd need to do this for both?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Check and see if your cable box has a ground screw on it. If so run a piece of wire from that to a screw on the frame of the amp. From the same ground screw on the cable box run another piece to the middle screw on the wall socket. This should hopefully ground everything.

Kevin

BobSc

Auditioning
FWIW, I just installed the exact same isolation transformer. It completely eliminated the hum I was experiencing with no discernable impact on my digital (or analog) cable, or my high speed internet. I installed it right near the service entrance, right before the first splitter. I am on the Charter Cable system.

In general, I'd rather fix stuff like this myself than rely on the cable company. For less than $20 (inlcuding S&H), I don't have wait around to meet someone (assuming they show), provide education, and then hope they have the parts and/or expertise required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks