What's new

Rotel 1090, opinions on this 2 channel amp? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hi folks,

I've been auditioning several amplifiers over the past couple of weeks. I've tried a Parasound 2205, Marantz 9000, Krell (250?), and the Rotel 1080/1095. I have fallen in love with the sound of the Rotel 1080, but I'm looking for a little more power, hence auditioning the 1095, bi-amped to my mains.

I ended up ordering the 1090 from my local B&M. They don't have it in stock, but it'll only take a couple of days to get it in. Do any of my fellow HTF'ers have experience with this amp? I liked the 1080 alot, but the 1090 has a bit more umph, it's dual-monoblock design is appealing, and it really does draw a ton of current.

Anyone with experience with this piece or other Rotel amps, I value your opinions.

Jeremy

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Been using the 1090 for about three months. I'm using it for my Revel F-30 main speakers. It's a noticeable step up from my 1095 five channel amp. Much more clarity and smoothness no matter what volume. If your speakers or room need a lot of power then the 1090 is perfect. I'm also using DH Labs Q-10 bi-wired silver speakers cables.

Good luck on your new found power!

Be sure to write about your impressions of the amp.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Darrel.

I am looking forward to the addition of this amp. There are plenty of 200x2 amps available, but when you get into the 300+ amps...the money can become significant.

Rotel amps have always impressed me at their price point. I'm happy to make the step into seperates, but it will be a while before I replace the 5800 as a pre/pro. It's amazing how well it works together with outboard amplification. Are you using the balanced or RCA inputs? Is there any benefit to using the balanced inputs if the interconnect runs are short (

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
"There are plenty of 200x2 amps available, but when you get into the 300+ amps...the money can become significant. "

I agree. Parasound makes a 300+ amp. Or at least they use to. It may be discontinued now. McIntosh has always made big amps but.....it hard to justify the price. But, I do love their big blue meters.

Rotel has been called " the poor mans highend equipment". I can live with that.

The 1090 has also gotten a lot of praise in magazines.

What speakers are you driving?

"Are you using the balanced or RCA inputs? Is there any benefit to using the balanced inputs if the interconnect runs are short (

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Things that make you go hmmm.....:)
I've had a 1080 in my house for the past couple of weeks. The amp is off the B&M's shelf and I've had no troubles with it. It is powering a pair of B&W 604s from the same B&M store that I am buying the Rotel from. They had a pair of Nautilus 802s come back on trade-in from a fella that bought the new 800 signatures. They allowed $5500 on trade-in and I'm in negotiations with them to trade in my 604s for the 802s. If I can get the deal done, those will be the mains...if not, I may buy a pair of 803s, new. Hence, the need for the extra power that the 1090 offers. In the meantime, the 604s will benefit as well, I'm sure.
I may have waited a little to long on my bartering, since the series 3 600s were just released, but they are still very willing to get a deal done. Regardless, spending the money now on the 1090 can only benefit me down the road... whichever speakers I finally end up with.
My wife and I have just finished our new HT room, so its time for a couple of upgrades. Its very nice to have a room ONLY for the gear....it's opened up a lot of space in the house and the acoustics of the new room are phenomenal. BTW, I'm using StraightWire Maestros...silver interconnects as well...single ended from the 5800 to the 1080 (soon 1090) and bi-wired to my mains with StraightWire speaker cable. I will be doing some other cable and interconnect tweaks/auditions when my new amp comes in. I'm as excited about this purchase as I was for my 5800 AND my widescreen TV.
How much ventilation are you allowing for your 1090? I have mine on the bottom of my rack with about 2 feet of clearance on top and an open back....however, there is only about an inch of clearance on either side. Will this present a problem, In your opinion?
Jeremy

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Both the 1095 and 1090 are on their own amps stands. One on each side of my RPTV. The 1095 gets a little warmer than the 1090. Having only one inch on each side isn't much. But, the clearance on top and back may work out. I'm sure whatever speakers you power with the 1090 will make you very happy.

Walt Meger

Auditioning
Jeremy:

I have had my 1090 for over a year and a half and enjoyed every minute of ownership. It drives my B&W N804s with ease for a clear, detailed, open sound. I am planning on adding the 1095 to drive my HTM2 center and N805 surrounds later this summer. I plan on using the extra two channels to drive a 7.1 system if the need ever arises. I have my amp on the bottom of a rack of equipment squeezed in between the built in recessed RPTV and side wall. Clearance amounts to 1" on either side, 6" in the rear and 4" on top. I have a 12v 5" pancake fan running on 9v behind the amp blowing across it's top. I've monitored the unit's temp and have not had any hot spots. I love the look of the Rotel amps. In my opinion, build quality is excellent as is the value. Usually dealers who handle Rotel & B&W offer excellent customer service and support after the sale. You should also be able to negotiate the price to 10% below MSRP with a credit card.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Walt, from a guy who has CDm7NTs, with the CDMCNT, I must tell you, you have my dream speaker setup!!! Not that I am complaining (I am a poor boy), My speakers I LOOOVE, but I Lust over those 804s. (don't tell my wife-tic)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks gentlemen, very valuable information.

The dealer is telling me early next week, so I'll let you know how it works out.

I may very well end up with a pair of the 804s instead of the 802s. For the price difference, even with the used 802s, I will be able to add the SVS Ultra combo...which should easily take care of what I'm missing on the bottom end with the 804s vs. the 802s. I agree, the service I have gotten from my B&W/Rotel/Krell dealer is phenomenal.

Jeremy

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The Rotel 1090 has been reviewed a few times, and I seem to remember that they've all been good reviews, but then again, there are rarely bad reviews around. I think I remember a particular review on The Absolute Sound(TAS) comparing it and the Odyssey 2 channel amp, and the conclusion was that they were very close in quality.

Anyway, I have the 1095 5 channel amp, which is already very satisfying, so if the 1090 is any better, more power to you.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Sihan,

The reviews at audioreview are not always trustworthy, but in the case of the Rotel reviews, I think there is enough reviews of their amps...from knowledgable individuals to believe their comments.

All of the Rotel models reviewed 10 times or more have better than 4.5 stars.

Jeremy

W

Will

I have a related question to Jeremy's. I'm looking to go from 5.1 to 7.1 and so want to get a 2 channel amp to use in addition to my trusty old Sunfire Cinema Grand. My problem is I have it in a relatively enclosed space so I don't want a two channel amp that gets too hot. I also don't want one that's too expensive, like Sunfire's 2 channel amp is. But I do want at least 200 wpc x 2.

Which 2 channel amps should I be considering? I would be pleased to buy a used amp. I apologize in advance about this being off topic and don't want this post to in any way, hijack the thread.

Will

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Jeremy, no problem. Rotel doesn't make the best stuff, but they are the perennial leaders for price/performance, and they do sound very good too.
Will, you might want to also check out the Odyssey Stratos amp, it was raved a couple of months ago, but I don't know why lately there hasn't been much talk about it...all the talk seems to have been shifted to the speakers - norh, Diva, SVS, Adire...
edit: the Odyssey Stratos does only provide 2x150W amplification though, not 200W or more, so you might want to take that into consideration if you strictly want at least 200W of power. Anyway, the review on TAS can be accessed at http://www.odysseyaudio.com/review_absound.html

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
An Adcom GFA-5500 amp would be an excellent choice. It will deliver 200 WPC at 8 ohms,
or 350 at 4, continuous. Nice amp for a great price (around a 1,000, give or take). Very solidly
built. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks