Rotel 1080 or Panasonic RP91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Smith, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

I have my choice narrowed down to these 2 players. I have a Pioneer Elite 710 HDTV and I need to know which player does a better job or getting around the "Lock in Full"mode of the Elites. I've only heard that the Rotel has zoom modes. I'm not sure if it does the same as the Panny with regards to the lock in full.
    Thanks in advance.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I can't tell you anything about how the Rotel or Panasonic players handle the "lock in full" feature of your Pioneer Elite TV. What I can say is that the Rotel should outperform the Panasonic with CDs and DVD-Audio discs. However, the Panasonic is probably better on the video side. The Rotel player is an older unit, and as such, the progressive-scan video is likely not state of the art. The Panasonic unit on the other hand has garnered high praise on the video side. It does not show the chroma bug, for example.

3. Ken Smith

Keith H,
    You say probably and should do certain things. Do you have any experience with these 2 players or not? You say that the Rotel is an older unit but I think the Panny 91 has been around just as long.
    I was at my local dealer yesterday and they had the Rotel ($900.00) but it wasn't hooked up to anything and I can't find the Panny anywhere. Any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I have used both players, but the Rotel dealers I've been to do not carry Panasonic, so I have not compared them side-by-side. The Rotel player is older than the Panasonic. The Rotel is based on the first-generation JVC XV-D721BK/D723GD and was released in 2000. The Panasonic is a second-generation player released in 2001 and is similar in sonic performance to the first-generation Technics DVD-A10, which I own. The 'A10 and 'RP91 are good audio components, but not at the level of the Rotel. I am basing this on my experience with Matsushita and Rotel products and what I have read.

As for picture quality, a couple dealers and owners of the Rotel player have told me that it is not quite up to par with some of the current players. It is not uncommon to find that older progressive-scan models are not as good as newer models like the Panasonic 'RP91 and Denon '1600, which do not show the chroma bug.

I am just giving my opinion on these players. Admittedly, I do not extensive hands-on experience with either one. I have more experience with the Rotel unit. Perhaps someone else here has more experience with them. Based on what I have read and seen, the Rotel is better for audio, but the Panasonic is better for video. If these two players really interest you, the only thing you can do to satisfy yourself is try both models at home. Nothing anyone here can tell you should be enough for you to make a $500+ purchase on.

5. Newell

Newell Extra

I'd appreciate your opinion on the best choice between the Denon 1600 and the Rotel RDV 1080 (please explain in more detail the phrase "...not quite up to par with some of the current players."

Is this something I will notice? I'm interested in the Rotel, but there are not many reviews. I have a 55" Mitsu Diamond HDTV.

Thanks

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Newell, compare the Rotel and Denon '1600 if you can. The '1600 got an excellent review both for audio and video over on the Secrets to Home Theater web site. Some have said that older progressive-scan players like the Rotel or Sony DVP-S9000ES don't stand up to newer players that don't show the chroma bug. The Denon '1600 is one such player. That is not to say that the Rotel or Sony do not provide a good picture or that you will see the chroma bug or other deficiencies on your display. I have just read time and time again that the current non-chroma bug players often beat older models. I am not saying that the Rotel will not be suitable. The thing to do is try them both out. If I were looking for a progressive-scan player, I would start off by checking the picture provided by non-chroma bug players like the Denon '1600, Panasonic 'RP91, and Kenwood '5700. I think those models would be a good start for quality video for the money. Do a search for the Rotel player and other models to see what has been said about them here.

7. Ken Smith

For the record, the Rotel 1080 doesn't have the chroma bug either.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I thought the Rotel player did show the chroma bug. My bad.

9. Newell

Newell Extra

KeithH,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. What I was trying to elicit is an opinion on the video of the Rotel. I have spent three days searching for a review of the 1080 without success (there were a few user comments at audioreview and epionions, but nothing else that I could find).

Incidentally, I'm using a Mistsu 55" Diamond RPTV.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Newell, the Rotel '1080 does not seem to get a lot of talk here. Perhaps it is the price and the fact that Rotel products are not the easiest to find. The fact of the matter is that there are $200 progressive-scan players out there today that exhibit outstanding video capabilities. In my opinion, the major benefit of the Rotel player over these budget models is the audio. The Rotel unit is a better DVD-Audio player than most. It is also a better CD player than a lot of DVD players out there.
    The Rotel player has been discussed a bit from time to time over on the Hi-Rez Highway board on www.audioasylum.com . However, the Hi-Rez Highway is dedicated to SACD and DVD-Audio, so I don't recall the video side of the Rotel player being discussed much. Do a search on that board. It would be worth the time. Also, Audio Asylum has a home theater board. Perhaps the Rotel unit has been discussed there more. I don't frequent the home theater board there.