What's new

Rotel 1075 or Adcom GFA7700 (1 Viewer)

Bob Watson

Auditioning
Hey all! This is my first post on this forum so I wanted to start off by saying hi! I'm looking forward to many interesting AV conversations. :)

I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to a Rotel 1075 or an Adcom GFA7700 (trying to stay around $1000 with this). I'm using Energy Veritas speakers (2.2s, 2.0Rs and a 2.0C) and will be using a Denon 3803 as a processor. I will be able to audition both of these eventually but would like some opinions all the same. Also, if there's a better amp out there for the money, please let me know as I'm pretty clueless about amps.

Thanks!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Hey Bob welcome to the forum,

If audiogon is any indication of the value of the rotel 1075 then I would consider it for that reason. everytime a rotel 1075 hits audiogon its usually gone in a couple of days, seriously they seem to sell better than any amp I have seen.

I just ordererd one myself It has great reviews, it sounds very nice and personally I dont think it has any competition in its price range.

The only real way to decide is to listen to both in your system at home, then you will know for sure.

good luck, Bob

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I run a 1075 with Veritas 2.1 fronts and the rest is from a Take 5.2 setup (for now). It sounds absolutely fantastic and will be a HUGE upgrade from your Denon receiver on its own.

Of course, an audition is always in order, even if only to confirm what you already know. Find a dealer that will let you take the demo home overnight. I'm sure you'll be impressed. :)

Marc H

Second Unit
I'm running an Adcom GFA5802 on Veritas V2.8 and have been pleased with the combination for several years now. No complaints, keeps me grinning.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Rotel. Sounds very good and a bargain. If you later decide you want something else, its very easy to sell for top dollar.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Bob W,
If you do compare these amps, please post back as I am lookng at these for a friend set up and I am curious about how they stack up too.

That way I won't have to do anything myself and then I can blame you if it doesn't sound good.

Thanks.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've been running my Rotel 1075 for awhile now and its amazing...ton's of power, great looks and runs very cool. There's a bunch of guys in Club Rotel running the Energy speakers with that amp as well.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I would suggest buying three QSC amps in the range of $300 or so each that will give you almost 1000W x6 of power. You will never look back at power amps again. You will be able to run any kinds of speakers with these amps plus you will be able to jump start your VW on a cold winter morning with these. Pro amps are the best value in amps, period.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well someone recommended the oulaw amplifier to me 7 channel x 200watts and i looked it up and it got VERY good reviews. I think that i am going to go with the Rotel-1075 myself, with a RB-1080 also.

I know that i sound like a woman and all, but i want the amp and pre/amp pro to sorta match. The outlaw is available in your henry ford black only.

I just got a silver sherwood newcastle P-965 and would like to get the silver middle rotel that way it looks half way decent.

Eric

outlaw 770 $1799 (7 channel)
outlaw 755 $1299 (5 channel)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Personally I think that's a very smart move as the 1075 is more then enough amp for the surrounds and the 1080 is a great 2 channel amp

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well chris, you asked if someone would recommend amplifiers to you, correct? and i am doing the exact thing right now myself

Oh yes, i am very excited, and incorporate my decision into everything i guess..haha.sorry

again i think that the outlaw combo would be very nice for you. Denon is good because it doesn't really have a lot of quirks. I have searched ENDLESSLY for a reasonably priced pre/pro that would not have issues with hiss/hum etc. I know that some of them are just ground loop problems, or whatever, but i don't want to deal with it really.I also wanted a tuner built into it

Look at Sherwood Newcastle. I have heard a LOT of good things about them. I am getting a P967 or whatever the current one is. They are very reasonably priced also.

Bob Watson

Auditioning
Well, I'm back after a couple days of auditioning. Thanks for all the comments guys!

My local store was nice enough to let me try the amps out with my 3803+speakers both in store and at home for a few days. After much deliberation over movies, music (mostly rock and blues; Dire Straits, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, BB King) I went with the Adcom. To me it put out a warmer, fuller sound than the Rotel. The Rotel was an improvement on my 3803 for sure, but I thought the highs were a little strained and the sound was a little thin compared to the Adcom.

Heh, I'm actually a little dissapointed by the result because the Rotel 1075 is definitely a well built unit. It's slick, from the heat sink fins on the front to the clear binding posts on the back. The Adcom looks cheesy by comparison, kind of like a big black brick that you could fry eggs on after watching a movie (it runs much hotter than the Rotel). But it sounds better to me so I guess I'll just deal with the brick look.

Don't blame me if you wind up liking the Rotel more than the Adcom. :p) I can definitely see how someone might love the Rotel's sound and it is a very nice product. I was sure I would buy it myself until I noticed the Adcom sitting in the back corner of my local store and decided to do a little research.

Again, thanks for the input guys! I've appreciated all of your responses!

Drew_W

Screenwriter

They are some of the ugliest amps I've ever seen; Rotel some of the best looking. But I'm glad that you enjoyed the Adcom...may it bring you many fine years of audio bliss.

Aww hell, who am I kidding. The upgrade tinge will hit again soon...maybe you'll be better equipped to resist the urge the next time around :)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
which is one of the reasons why i didn't think further at the adcom. I do hear a lot of nice things about it, but it just does again "look 'WAY' cheesy by comparison"

I'm glad that you went for the adcom. I am going to go with the rotel for amps, but i am glad that i did not go with it for an pre/pro. Also i wanted a tuner, which was a downside to looking into the rotel.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Bob W,
Thanks for replying back with your results.
Adcom has been around as long as anybody (what?) and they make great stuff. They've just been gone for a bit and now have come back and nobody really talks about them. That's why I was curious as to how they are stacking up lately.I guess I am not that surprised you liked them.

Eric, too bad about the tuner thing as the Rotel 1068 has turned out to be a great sounding pre for my friend. It has a great feature set too.

As for my original friend, he has decided on a Parasound 1205 and a Rotel 1068 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks