Rotel 1066 Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentPollard, Jun 30, 2002.

1. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I thought maybe it's time for a stremlined thread for troubleshooting as the "Logical Discussion Thread" is getting kinda hard to wade thru.
    I just received my Silver 1066 on Tuesday and have been averaging 3 movies a day with vinyl spinning in between.
    What's the quickest way to switch between inputs. Right now to switch from DvD to LD, I have to go to the osd / listen / choose. Why can't I just tap the AV2 button to access the LD. I have AV1 as the DVD, AV2 is LD, AV3 is PS2. [​IMG]

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, can't help you on the troubleshooting, but I'm curious what the Silver 1066 looks like. Can you post a picture???

Thanks

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I'd love to and will when I can get a digicam. Hopefully soon. But it is sweet. lookin' [​IMG]

4. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

SLide the little cover down on the remote and you have 10 buttons that are instant access to your source of choice. They are labeled CD TUN(er) PH(ono) TAPE 1 TAPE 2 V(ideo) 1
    V2 V3 V4 V5.
    I relabeled V5 to TV and Relabeled V4 to be dvd. You can do yours as you please.

5. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

The buttons at the top are only to transfer control of the remote to that unit...if you want to control the TV you press TV, it's not to select a source. The source selection is under the little slide cover as I previously explained.

6. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Doh.:b thanks

7. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

8. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

9. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I like the look of the silver.

10. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Legairre, that's a thing of beauty. For those Outlaw 950 owners/to be owners, the Rotel 1066 is the "Good", not sure about the "Bad", and the Outlaw is the "Ugly". No offense intended, just an opinion.

11. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Nice value added input Laurence_C!

12. TomH

TomH Second Unit

The 1066 is definately nice looking for its price range. However, there is a $600.00 difference between it and the 950. Is it really fair to keep slamming products that are not in the same dollar class? Maybe it would be just as appropriate to compare the 1066 to the Anthem where it would not fare so well.

13. Legairre

Since the 950 is sold for $899 and that is the price of a purchased 950. I think it's only fair to compare it to a 1066 at it's purchased price. Mine was $1275. So that a difference of $376 in my case. No sense figuring the tax versus shipping, because it's a wash. In my case I think it's fair to compare units with a $376 difference in price, but with a $600 difference it may not be fair. I think it all comes down to what you can get each unit for.

14. David S

Legairre said "Since the 950 is sold for $899 and that is the price of a purchased 950. I think it's only fair to compare it to a 1066 at it's purchased price".

Its totally fair to compare the two, even in looks. But in this post "Rotel 1066 Troubleshooting", above poster had zero input.

Thats the problem with these comparision posts out of left field.

Anyway, to add to the thread fart, in the 10+ instances I've shown someone a (picture only) of the 950 and 1066 (Evans post from awhile back), 10 of 10 people have chosen the 950 over the 1066 (in black) on its "look". I would have to agree the silver looks great, but if one has all black equipment already, not so sure.

15. David S

And by the way, I do agree with TomH here. Problem now Tom, is all the Oulaw bashers will claim its Outlaws fault for making such "bold" pre-sale statements claiming the 950 will compare favorably with those +$2K pre/pro's.
    My guess is they should have made "claims" that the 950 will be bright sounding, hiss, and have several disappointing features in their pre-sale hype, that would have really stirred things up[​IMG]

16. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Hey guys, I have a slight problem with my Rotel 1066 and I'd like to get your advice.

I picked up the unit a little over a week ago, and so far have been quite pleased with it. However, I have noticed an unusual amount of hissing coming out of the unit, especially out of the center channel speaker. I also get a bad hum on my subwoofer if I turn up the amp gain.

In an effort to locate the problem disconnected everything in my system, including my Outlaw 750 amp and found that the source of the hiss was indeed the Rotel. Even more unusual is that the hiss completely disappears when I send the 1066 a digital audio signal.

I called up Rotel last Friday and asked about the problem, and they were somewhat unsure what it could be. Mike at Rotel suggested that I contact my dealer and ask so that we could hopefully have it looked at and possibly repaired. The dealer told me that the problem probably resulted from the increased power requirements of having a separate amp, and he suggested that a power conditioner would fix the problem.

Still, I'm not completely convinced that the problem lies with the amp. I can unhook it from the Rotel, unplug it from the power strip I'm using now, hook up my sub to the pre-out on the Rotel, and get a hum from it. I doubt that the hiss is a result of the system being fed "dirty power."

I posted this same problem at another board and someone there suggested that I take the Rotel back to the dealer and hook it up with and without a power strip. If the hiss disappears completely with the power strip, we have the answer. If not, we know something is bad with the unit.

Does anyone second this suggestion or have any other ideas?

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sounds logical to me. Try and elimite as many variables as you can.

18. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Legairre,

Damn, that's a beautiful piece. I had some doubts about the silver finish, but after viewing your pics, my mind's made up! I hope you don't mind, but I've pulled them down to my PC at work. At least once a day, I view them to keep my money-saving plan on track and also to keep me from spending money at lunchtime or after work!

19. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    David S., I apologize if what I stated was out of line in your mind, but as I clearly stated, "No offense intended, it's just an opinion", was just that, AN OPINION. I must be in the minority when comparing the two black units but the RSP-1066 still would be my choice between the two. Again that would just be MY CHOICE.

20. Legairre

David S. Sorry if it upset you, but several people in this thread have commented on things not related to trouble shooting. I think you forgot to point out a few people.

Ron,
    No problem. When a unit looks as good as the 1066 it's understandable. Oops, did I just say something that had "zero input"?