rotel 1066 questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennethF, Feb 15, 2003.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

can anyone explain to me in basic terms what the bass management issues are with the 1066?
    my current setup consists of deftech 2000tls, clr3000, and bpvx/ps. i'm also planning to add the denon 2900 universal player to my system when released if it is as good as it sounds.
    i'm about to jump over the edge and buy the 1066 and 1095 amplifier, and i was wondering if the above mentioned parts may clash over any unresolved bass management issues in the 1066. my general impression is that all of my speakers are close to full range (the bpvx/ps even produce great lower frequency sounds when playing the dts music discs that i have). i may be wrong, but my understanding from reading earlier posts on this and other sites is that the analog connections on the 1066 are not necessarily straight pass-throughs, but have the signal altered in some way by the unit that cannot be disabled.
    if anyone that has the 1066 or has a better grasp on this situation can offer some sage advice, i would be thankful.
    the upgrade bug has buried his teeth in my rear end to get rid of this base model sony receiver, and i also have the approval of my wife. feel free to offer alternative suggestions as well (the budget ceiling for the preamp i'll say is $4000). thanks for all your help in advance!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Check out www.htguide.com, and then forums, and then club rotel. A couple of threads in there talk about it.

Basically, the 5.1 inputs, in addition to passing through each of the 5 channels of the 5.1 stream, also sums all of the bass (below 120 Hz I believe, maybe 80) from the 5 channels and *adds* it to the 0.1 LFE channel. Stupid. And in your case, with moderately full range speakers everywhere, the problem is worse.

A low price suggestion is the Outlaw 950. As far as higher priced units, there is the B&K Ref 50 (my personal fave), and the Anthem AVM-20.

3. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the response.

i just wanted to make sure that i didn't make a problem worse with my setup.

do these other alternatives offer good management of lower frequencies in the analog inputs? and can i just send an unaltered signal through those inputs without altering from the preamp?

4. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

And the Outlaw has something that no other pre/pro that I know of has at *any* price: analog BM on the 5.1 analog inputs. [​IMG]