rotel 1066 questions part 2...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennethF, Feb 17, 2003.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

has anyone out there actually hooked up an sacd and/or a dvd-audio player through the multichannel analog inputs of the 1066, or the cd analog inputs, and what has your experiences been with the sound?

my understanding is that the digital connections appear to have adequate bass management, but the problem appears to be with control over the analog connections.

please correct me if i'm wrong, and i would love to hear some real-world experiences with listening, particularly with dvd-audio and sacd.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Kenneth,

I own the 1066, but, as yet, haven't used it for DVDA or SACD. To find others that have, I'd strongly recommend that you pay a visit to HTguide.com, Here and post there. I'm pretty sure you'll find the information you're looking for if you do.

Cheers

3. Jeff AW

Jeff AW Stunt Coordinator

Here some honesty...

I have a 1066 with an Earthquake Cinenova amp. I have a cheapy Sony SACD/DVD player. I have one SACD, Miles Davis. You know what. It sounds nice. Multi Channel is OK, but to me I am not into all the extra channels for music. I really didn't like the effect. Compared to a CD I really can't tell a whole lot of difference, nothing pops out as being heads and tails above what I already hear... I guess I don't have golden ears or I am missing something...

Jeff

4. KennethF

thanks for your posts.

has anyone noticed a problem with the bass when using sacd or dvd-audio? i'm just trying to reason whether this is more of a theoretical problem, or if its a real-world difference.

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Kenneth,
    I have a DVD-A player hooked up to my 1066 and the sound is outstanding. Far superior in quality to CD. Several friends who are not stereophiles even noticed the difference. I know there are some who are concerned with the "double bass" issue on the multi-ch. inputs and i'm sure their concerns are justified. I however have never noticed any type of bass problem on the multi-channel inputs. In fact, DVD-A has never sounded better to me. Over the last 18 months i have gone through at least 1/2 dozen receivers and the Outlaw 950. The 1066 was the best sounding to my ears. I would definetly suggest a demo in your home if possible. The 1066 is a great pre-amp/processor for the money. I finally have a piece of equipment i will keep for a while(i no longer feel i am missing something)! Here is my setup for reference:

Rotel 1066 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB 1075 amp(center and 4 surrounds)
    Rotel RB 981 stereo amp(used for the mains)
    Klipsch RC7 Center
    Klipsch RC7's mains(yes i use 2 center channels as mains, incredible sound)
    Klipch KSF 8.5 towers for side surrounds
    Klipsch RB3's for back surrounds
    SVS 20-39 PC+
    AR Master series interconnects
    Monster 10 gauge speaker wire

Feel free to ask anymore question via this thread or email.

Take Care,
    Dalton

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Nice post Dalton. To be honest, you've made me less hesitant about diving into the DVDA and/or SACD thing.

Now, if we can only decide which is heaven.
    Rotel + Rotel + Klipsch = heaven
    or
    Rotel + Parasound + Klipsch = heaven. [​IMG]

7. KennethF

thanks dalton...

thats the kind of information i'm looking for. i've heard all of the theoretical arguments regarding bass doubling, but never heard a real experience with playing these multichannel hi-rez formats through the 1066.

i just ordered the 1066 and the rotel 1095 amplifier today, and i am salivating to hook them up to my system. i'm amazed at the patience that i have, because i am waiting until the denon 2900 universal player comes out to choose an upgrade for my three-year-old sony interlaced-only dvd player.

thanks again, dalton, and if anyone else has any real-world experience with the 1066, please feel free to share.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Your Welcome Kenneth. I am going to be picking up the Yamaha CC940 Universal player when it comes out next month. I have the CC920 now which is progressive scan and DVD-A and i love it(it is basically a multi disc changer version of the Denon 1600). My local tweeter is gonna let me trade my 920 to get the 940 so it will only cost me about $100 difference.

Dana,
    I love Parasound amps also. I had the 855a but i sold it before i got the 1066. It is a little warmer than the rotel 98/1075 combo i have now but i am extremely pleased with my current equipment. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Parasound amp again in the future though. Parasound makes excellent amps also. You have to ask yourself if want warmer or slightly more detailed(Rotel has a slight edge in detail IMO). Parasound has a great warm sound. Both are excellent choices.

Take Care,
    Dalton

9. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I was using a Yamaha RX-V3200 (with an ICBM) with DVD-A, and really didn't like the sound of it. I had 5 DVD-A. Then I sold the Yammie AND the ICBM, and got a Rotel RSP-1066, a Denon DVD-3800 and a Paradigm X-30. The Denon is doing the BM internally (cross-over at 80) and I put the X-30 at 80, so no BM issue anymore.

The RSP-1066 made me rediscovering DVD-A, and I now own 24 titles, and really enjoy them. Riding with the King (BB King and Clapton) sounds incredible. It's like being in a Blues Club. The Yammie was really awful for DVD-A.

The only DVD-A that it's giving me problem is Emerson Lake and Palmer. There is really to much bass there. I just turn the X-30 way down until it's ok. So not that much of a problem.

I just made a deal with my DVD-3800 dealer, to receive 100% credit on it when the new Denon palying DVD-A and SACD will be out. [​IMG]

By the way, if you buy the RSP-1066, aim for a DVD-player with BM. It's reducing the double-bass issue alot. the sound is so good for the price with the RSP-1066, that this "small" (almost inexistant for me) issue didn't justify missing the incredible sound/value of the RSP-1066. You can consider the Paradigm X-30 to help (100$ CDN...lol).

BTW, I think that the biggest difference between a 1000$ DVD-player and a 300$ is the quality of the sound. I don't undestand this RP-82 paranoia everywhere. For sure, it's an incredible PQ, but the sound...urgh... So don't skimp on the DVD-player, and invest in a good one. The PQ will probably be almost the same, but the 700$ more dollars will make a night and day difference with the sound quality.

I MY OWN OPINION, I don't think that the double bass issue can justify the decision not to buy a RSP-1066. But it,s only my opinion...[​IMG]

10. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Kenneth,

I know this does not directly address your question but it is related.

Just a little FYI regarding SACD'S as I don't have any experience with DVD-A's. If you listen to SACD on a 1066 or any other piece for that matter, just like CD's the recording quality is just as important to the final result. SACD alone does not guarantee better sound.

Obviously many re-releases on SACD were originally analog (not a bad thing) or digital recordings other than DSD. I have several SACD's from an audiophile label that were originally mastered in 24/96. These 24/96's do sound better than regular CD, but to get the most from SACD, you would want a DSD master. I don't think there are many available yet.

My point is: don't fall into the trap of making a judgement of SACD (and DVD-A) or a component's abilities to render high rez audio after you listen to just one SACD. They are not all created equal.

11. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Let me start by saying that I have a Rotel 1066 and love the sound of it. The one thing that I do dislike about the 1066 is that you have to switch the speaker settings if you want to listen to your speakers in full range 2 channel mode. I have my speakers crossed over at 80hz for DVD listening by I prefer for music to listen in 2 channel mode without a sub. That means that everytime I want to listen to a CD in 2 channel mode I have to go into the menu and turn the fronts to large. Does anyone else find this annoying? Is there a way around it? Other than that one thing I really like the 1066 and will be keeping it for a while.

12. KennethF

thanks for all your help...

i can't wait to get my 1066 and 1095 hooked up to my system. i suppose this thread started as a "give me a little reassurance" post about the only real issue that i've seen with the 1066. until a decision is made by the industry about digital connections for high rez formats and hdtv, i plan for this to be my last upgrade (at least thats what i'm telling my wife...at least until may, when i'll need a new universal player... and then maybe a bigger hdtv...).

after reading your posts, i still feel like i made an excellent choice! thanks again guys!

13. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

A question to all those using the 1066 and are NOT having an issue with the bass doubling. Are you using floor standing speakers set to "large"? Thanks.

14. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

15. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Joe,
    I am using Klipsch RC7's as mains. They are very large center channels and i use them as monitor speakers(talked to Klipsch and they said the RC7's would work fine as monitor speakers). They go down to 45hz so i guess you could consider them semi-full range but they are not floor standers. Since i have no bass management either in my DVD-A player or the multi-channel inputs of the 1066, my speakers get a full range signal when listening to DVD-A. They perform exellently IMO. I listen to mostly rock/metal so the Klipsch speakers were my first choice because i love their sound with rock music.

Dalton