Rotel 1066 benefits Vs Outlaw 950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cooke, May 2, 2002.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Hi. I had been planning on purchasing a Rotel RSP 1066 but now I think the Outlaw 950 is both a better bargain, and more in my price range. My question is, is there any specific benefit, or quality that the 1066 possesses that the 950 does not. I know there's been a ton of posts on both of these recently, but i don't care one bit about bass management (i don't have DVD-A or SACD and have no desire to listen to 5 channel music). I also don't care about the reputations of the respective companies, or whether or not i can actually get either of these machines as of today, only what they are capable of doing once i do have one. I would appreciate it if someone could briefly outline any benefits of the Rotel or point me to a link where i could find that information. Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

Hi Aaron,
    I dont think you can go wrong with either one. Merc's got a very good "feature to feature" comparison on his website.
    http://www.kgjack.com/pre-pros.htm
    (Merc, if you see this post, there are 2 minor errors in your chart. The 1066 has analog bypass on all of the 2 channel inputs, not just the CD. And, under the global cross over settings, the values you have are correct, but there is also an "off" setting)
    The Outlaw distinguishes itself by having the 80Hz analog bass management switch. The 1066 does no bass management on the analog inputs.
    The 1066 distinguishes itself by being software upgradable using a PC and a serial cable. Rotel just made their first software update available over the internet last Friday. It added Dolby Digital EX decoding to the 1066. The Outlaw is purported to be updateable as well, but it requires Outlaw to send you a new ROM chip that you would replace.
    Outlaw will give you a 30-day money back trial. Many Rotel dealers will give you an in-home audition period. Try them both and get the one that best fits your needs and budget.
    The biggest problem you'll face is actually getting one. They are both very popular.
    Gregg

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gregg: Thanks for the info on the 1066. I've corrected the items you mentioned.

4. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John,great idea setting up that page.Looking forward to your reviews so I can finally get my butt off the fence and choose.

5. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

The Outlaw also has a tuner and the triple crossover feature. Does anyone know if the 1066 memorizes different speaker settings on different inputs or if it's capable of setting independent distance values for each speaker? If it can, those would be advantages for the 1066.

6. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Hey Merc,

I've seen Outlaw post on their forum several times that the 950 will not be upgraded. Do you have info from them that they might change that stance, or are you just speculating that they might change their mind down the road?

7. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

OK, a question about something i know absolutely nothing about. If it came down to just the DAC's in each unit, am I going to be able to tell a differnce in sound quality between the 24/192 DAC in the Outlaw versus the 24/96 one in the Rotel?

Thanks for the link to the comparison chart. That's exactly what i wanted. I think I'll be going with the Outlaw. The only negatives i see about it are 1. I think it's relatively ugly in comparison to the rotel and 2. I don't like not having direct source access buttons on the faceplate. But aesthetics and laziness certainly don't outweigh the apparent advantages.

8. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

:b Oops, I did forget to mention the tuner. (merc, you really must be swamped right now, you should have caught that [​IMG] ) That is a definite advantage for the 950, especially if it will the centerpiece for your primary stereo system. In my case, and several other 1066 owners on the forum, we have dedicated theater rooms and the tuner would get little to no use.
    Gregg

9. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Dzung, the 1066 does remember different speaker settings for each mode. I'm not sure it's input specific because each input is assignable, I think a more correct term would be mode specific. I hope someone will correct me if my thinking is wrong. If I tweak CD mode then switch to TV and back to CD it will rmember all the settings I had for CD. So yes is the answer to your question. The other question is yes also, with some caveats. The center channel is adjustable in 1ms increments, each surround is indivdualy adjustable in 5ms intervals, and the rear surrounds are paired and adjustable in 5 ms intervals. There is not setting for the main speakers, I assume they think these will be furthest away.

Jeff

10. brian a

brian a Second Unit

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

12. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Dunno, someone asked if the 1066 could do that and I was just replying.

Jeff

13. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Camp,

I think that's correct. As I recall, this was one of the early complaints with the 950, no memory by input or mode. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob

14. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Merc,

Can you clarify your point about the Outlaw doing upgrades? After doing the upgrade on the Rotel this week, it's a big factor in my decision. I have to decide if I'm going to keep this thing by Sat, and I'd like to know if Outlaw has decided that they will offer upgrades to the 950.

Fingers crossed on Outlaw getting the estimated delivery date e-mails out this week, or it might be a moot point.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Aaron- I was in the same boat as you. I (think!) that I have decided to go with Outlaw for 2 reasons: I want the analog crossover on the 5.1 analog inputs, and my perception is that the DACs (and maybe the ADCs too) are better on the Outlaw. (The tuner is somewhat of a plus too, if it's strong enough; I listen to some local college stations that aren't the most powerful. Cheaper price is a bonus too. All the positive reviews are important too.)

I like the philosophy of the company too.

Incidentally, one more difference between the 2 is that for the Rotel, you can name the video (audio) inputs. (You know, change the name that comes up in the software on the pre/pro's display when you switch to that input.) You can't on the Outlaw.

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

As I've been reading posts on both pre-amps it seems to me (without doing an actual listening test, which I can't do) that the Outlaw Model 950 might have a quieter noise floor than the Rotel 1066.

Dan

17. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

18. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

Merc I'm not very familiar with the other pre-pro there but I am with the REF 30 and I found some errors in your specs/feature comparison regarding the Ref 30 off the top of my head.

The DSP is a 56362 not the 56366

The Direct audio inputs are 7.1 not 5.1 also any of the stereo inputs can be set as direct inputs.

The triggers can be assigned to any zone or headphones with any input.

There is not a switchable remote AC outlet

It does not have DTS ES Discrete yet

For the DSP and ambience formats---It can do Stero 2,3,4,5,6,7. The DSP also does simple room correction

The crossover while Global can be set in 10hz increments from 20-200 hz and the slopes are also switchable.

There are 40 tuner presets/zone

19. Han

Han Second Unit

What about high-def component video switching? The Outlaw's is like 45MHz in bandwidth. Is the Rotel only 10MHz, or does that number apply to something else?