Rotel 1066/1075 -vs- Marantz 8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aaron.r, Aug 14, 2002.

1. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Trying to decide... here are the questions:

1) Will the Rotel separates sound significantly better (enough to justify the extra $1k or so)?

2) What speakers are recommended in the 1-2k range? I've been looking at B&W, Kef, Energy, etc... any impressions?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Aaron,

First, welcome to the forum. I have not heard the Marantz, but I have the 1075 amp (Yamaha 995 as preamp), and am hoping to the 1066 around Christmas. Adding the amp resulted in a huge improvement in the sound, so I would say that going with the Rotel would be worth the money.

As to speakers, I run a Kef Q series setup, and the sound is great. You asked about speakers in the $1-1.5K range. Is that for the mains, or all 5? If only the mains, give the Kef Q7 (floorstander) or RDM 2 (bookshelf) a listen. If all 5 I would say the Kef Q9 center and two pairs of the Q1 - and then either the Adire Audio Rava or Hsu VTF 2 sub.

Hope this helps.

3. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Thanks for the welcome!

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the Rotel 1075? I've seen it for about $1000, and the 1066 for about $1500... not sure if those are good prices.

Regarding speakers, the 1-2k price range was for front/mains only... the plan is to add surrounds/center/sub as budget permits. I like the Kef Q7's a lot (I'm actually going for a 2nd audition this afternoon - this time with a bunch of CDs... ) but I wasn't sure about the 4x6 woofer. Are you pretty happy with yours for both 2-ch and 5-ch? What types of music do you like?

Thanks for the reply,

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The Rotel combo definetly would sound better both in 2 and multi channel. Also B&Ws mate very well with Rotel.

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Aaron,

The list price on the 1075 is $999, and you should be able to get a 10% discount. I actually won my 1075 in a contest, but was saving money to buy one anyways (saved me a lot of money).

I do not own the Q7s as I run the older Q series (Q55, Q15, and Q95c). I briefly heard the Q7s and they sounded great - they will go down to an honest 40 Hz.

Yogi is right, B&Ws supposedly mate very well with Rotel (although they are not my cup of tea for speakers).

Have fun auditioning, and let us know what you get.

6. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have the Marantz SR-8200 and *really* like it. But if you have the disposable income for the Rotel combo I would jump all over it, without question. [​IMG] The extra grand for the Rotel stuff would have gotten me killed by my wife. It's tough assembling an HT when you are also remodeling your house room by room! Wives just don't have the same priorities!
    Good luck!
    Pete

7. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

$1500 for the 1066 and $999 for the 1075 is full list price, you should be able to get a better deal than that. I paid $1350 for my 1066, and we only have one Rotel dealer in town here, who usually doens't deal much on price. If you're buying both from the same place, they should give you a package discount of at least $100-200.

8. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my 1075 this May, I compared 1075/1066 combo with Marantz 9200. While the difference was not ground-breaking, I still could hear more fuller midrange and more defined bass from 1075/1066 resulting in quite warm sound. Considering that Marantz sounds warmer than Denon and most others, I was pretty happy with the sound that I was getting. So, I can say 1075/1066 combo will sound, of course, better than 8200, which is a lower model than 9200.