1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotel 1056 vs Marantz 7400 vs ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Zach Nelson, May 15, 2004.

1. Zach Nelson

Zach Nelson Agent

Spent a few hours at the shop today to audition the Gallo Diva's and when I asked the salesman what he suggested I should drive them with his first option was the Rotel 1056, then the Marantz 7400 since it's $400 cheaper.

I'm really relying on you folks because honestly I've been out of the picture for 3-4 years now and have no idea what to choose. Online research can only take me so far and I don't have alot of time to audition everything.

I would really like to stay below $750 for the receiver, but I don't know what my options are that would be suitable to drive the 5 Gallo Diva's (100W) with enough power to really make them shine. When I brought up Harmon-Kardon he laughed, so that was the end of that.

On a side note, I know this isn't the proper forum but, the Gallo sub is a joke. He recommended doubling them up but no way, it's weak to my ears. So we looked at the Martin Login Depth ($1800) and the Grotto ($1000). Auditioned the Grotto with the Gallo's and it matched well.

Thanks in advance for your advice! [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For those speakers, I think either of these receviers will have no problem powering even a full 7.1 setup. They are low sensitivity, but they also are only a single driver and should not be tough to drive.

I've seen A'Divas and Due a few times, but have not had a chance to listen to them for any length of time. Nice looking. I'd probably opt for the Due's for the front three, but that is me.

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

If the Rotel don't hiss and your dealer ain't a pr!k,it does sound nice.

4. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

The Rotel is great and does not hiss. The Marantz is ok but has had some problems according to threads here and AVS. Only you can decide if any purchase is worth additional money. In regard to a sub, suggest you go to AV123 and look at a Rocket sub, UFW-10. Great sub for both music and movies and much less expensive than the ones you are looking at.

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Either receiver will work fine... both Rotel and Marantz have experienced a few production problems in the last few years, and sadly this has become increasingly common with most manufacturers... but these are generally few and far between - just make sure your retailer will be responsive to potential problems.

Good catch on the Gallo subs... they are strangely sub-par compared to the rest of their excellent products... e.g., the bass on their Reference III is glorious!... I'd enthusiastically recommend any Gallo product but subwoofers.

You might consider bang-for-the-buck subs from the 'big 3' online manufacturers: SVS, Adire, Hsu.

6. Zach Nelson

Zach Nelson Agent

gregD: I'm considering an SVS, but not sure which model because my room is about 4,000 cubic feet of volume plus it's open to the kitchen, etc. Working with the SVS engineers on that issue.

I'm wondering what everyone's opinions are on this scenario: I'm looking at both the Marantz 6400 and the Harman Kardon 330. Just starting my dive into the forum history to see what's been discussed thus far. But maybe someone can sum it up for me?

The salesman laughed when I brought up HK, and I haven't been around the scene for 3-4 years so honestly I don't have an opinion, yet.

I think the Rotel (while great) may be too much for me and my small room. Btw, that 4,000 cu. ft. of volume is because the room is 2 stories high, in actuality it's 14'x16' so that's kinda small and I don't need so much power. Nor do I want to spend $1200 on the receiver [​IMG]

I'm also wondering if the (underated) 330's 55W/channel is sufficient to drive the Diva's rated at 100W. Since 80% of the mid-low range will be offloaded to the SVS, I would assume that the 330 is more than enough for the mid-highs. Am I wrong?

7. Zach Nelson

Zach Nelson Agent

bump

Suprised no one has opinions on HK 330's considering the war that erupted on the hardware forum over the dvd players. [​IMG]

This is my last post if no one follows up, then I'll let the thread die and take my chances on the HK.

8. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Zach

You should be good with either the H/K or Marantz to drive the Diva's... I suggest going with the one which will provide the best retailer / manufacturer support.

I have no H/K experience, but will suggest that the X30 series is still relatively new, and maybe that's why you haven't had much feedback there.

As far as Marantz goes, the forums don't seem to be reporting troubles with the X400 series... there were a few with the X200, X300 series.

Time to pull the trigger.

9. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Zach, I suggest you reconsider your budget for the receiver. $750 is not much to spend if you want really good sound. I do not understand your statement that the Rotel would be "too much" for your room. I do not think that you can ever have too much power for any system. Most bad sound and speaker damage occurs from too little power when the amp clips causing irritating sound and speaker damage. The receiver is the centerpiece of your system and if it does not sound great and operate without a hitch, it becomes a constant irritant. Suggest you look at the Rotel again since it is an excellent receiver with great sound and useful features.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The speakers in question are not that tough to drive, however, if you are serious about music, you may be considering a speaker upgrade after sometime. Lower midrange will be lacking with speakers like this, and this will cause the SVS to be working a little harder (higher) once you have crossed them over to achive a good blend, IMO. I think the 7400 would be about the right point, but the 6400 should do the job as well, though if you were to upgrade to more serious speakers in the future, you may need to consider a receiver upgrade as well. The 6400 has preamp outputs for all channels, so adding external amplification is easy.

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Opinions on the HK 630?