What's new

Rotel 1055 vs Marantz 8200 as pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have experience comparing these two? I would actually use an external amp for the front L/R channels and use the built in amp for the rest.

How is the two channel stereo sound?

I can tell you about my experience, when I switched from a Rotel rsx1065 (which is better than the 1055) to a Marantz SR9200.

At all points the Marantz is much better. More details in the total sound. But specially a much better and more detailled sound from the surrounds. Which gives a better balanced surround sound.
Also the (LFE) bass from the Marantz is thighter.
The 8200 has the benefit that Marantz offers an upgrade for DTS96/24 and CSII. Rotel lacks DTS96/24.
Then, the 8200 lacks HDCD decoding, if you need it.

My advice would be, go for the Marantz 8200.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I own a 1055 and love it, but your ears will tell you what to get. Try both and get the one you prefer.

earle

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
isnt the 8300 out now?

not sure about the marantz, but the rotel allows you to reassign the front channel amplification to rear channed.

Rich

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I own a 1055 and find it has superb two channel performance to some separates.The RSX-1055 is a RSP-1066 processor with five high current amps and a tuner after all.All 1055's will pass a hi def signal through its component switching too.G o for the Rotel for the bargain it is.I paid $965.00 new.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
$965 is a sweet price, they list at $1300, rare you get a rotel with more than 15% unless its older, demoed, etc....

Rich

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Do you already have the other amp for powering the mains? I considered doing something very similar to this. I had originally considered the Rotel 1055 but later decided on the 3803, as a pre/pro it has more surround formats than most of the other units on the market and actually uses the same processors as the 5803. For 2CH and the mains in HT I was looking at a Musical Fidelity integrated amp that has an HT bypass. In the end it was just a wee bit more than I could afford at the time so I went with Outlaw.

Arron H

Second Unit
FWIW, I would hesitate to purchase any recent products from Marantz. I dealer who is discontinuing the Marantz line indicated that they had a ton of relability issues indicating that he experienced more returns than sales. Like I said, FWIW.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Isn't it interesting how much dealers badmouth a line when they stop carrying it? I would bet they were singing its praises the day before that decision was made (for one of many reasons).

Most of the known reliability issues are with the 7200/7300 series and below. By most accounts, the 8200/9200 have been workhorses. I have never listened to that Rotel, but from everything that I have read and heard, they sound really great. I think your decision, though a tough one, is a win/win either way.

Chris

Nick V

Second Unit
The RSX-1055 is a RSP-1066 processor with five high current amps and a tuner after all.
While I agree that the RSX-1055 is a hell of a deal compared to the RSP-1066, that's not entirely accurate. The processing stage is EXACTLY the same, but where they differ is in the pre-amp stage. The 1066 uses higher quality caps, and better quality op amps. This is all according to my dealer who took them both apart side-by-side to verify the differences.

BTW, I think I'd go for the Marantz, but I'd definitely check them out against each other (preferably in my own room) but at the dealer's for sure. Then I'd buy the one that sounded the best to me!!!

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
A Rotel rep was the one that told me the 1055 and 1066 were identical.He also told me that Rotel will no longer be using JVC transports in their DVD players,since JVC has sold its DVD player division.Rotel will also be coming out with a DVD/DVDAUDIO/SACD player for around $1500.00.Sorry I strayed from the receiver topic of the discussion.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks