Rotel 1055 owners: Report In

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by skip marr, Jan 11, 2003.

1. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

Any owners of a 1055 - let me know how you like the unit, what you are running with it, what else you looked at. I am looking at HK, either the new 7200 or the new digital piece (1001), and Marantz. Thanks for anyones comments!

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Skip,
    The 1055 is a great receiver. Im using one as a preamp only, its basically the same as the 1066 + amps.
    The amps in the 1055 are stable at 4 ohms, there is no switch on the back of the receiver.
    The 1055 is easily upgradable. The current firmware is ver. 1.48. Takes about 5 minutes with a laptop with Windows 98.
    If music is important to you then youll love the 1055. Sounds great for HT too.
    See Club Rotel for a lot of helpful info.
    Any questions, fire away
    Earle

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I will say this about the 1055 (i have one)

very good sound
    flexible
    easy to use

somewhat, not significantly, but somewhat limited interms of inputs.

if you get the 1055, make sure it has the extended bandwidth for component video switching, otherwise you have to pay to get it updated.

If you ask me if I am completely satisfied with the rotel, my answer would be no.

if you asked me am I happy with it, my answer is yes, and yes I would buy rotel again.

they seem to have good dealers and good service.

Rich

4. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

This Rotel piece is infinitely better than HK...IMHO. I have an hk520 (yes, I know it's old) and I auditioned a 1055 at home and it made me very angry that I spent money on the 520. Not only was the rotel more smooth and involving it also has more kick. Needless to say I'll be trying to get myself into a rotel piece asap.

5. Rich Wenzel

Ben, they are at very different price points. The correct comparison is roughly the H&K 8000 vs that. I mean the 1055, usually trades for aroun 1170, the 8000 is around 1300-1400 online...the 520 is around $500....

Rich

6. Ben Hanrahan

Ben Hanrahan Stunt Coordinator

Rich, that is a good point. But up here in the great white north they were similarly priced at the time. Except the Rotel piece at that time was a 976...I think. I really feel that Harman has taken a few steps back in recent years, I guess that's what happens when you go mass market. Even the 8000 is not without its problems...heat being the main one. I hear the replacement model for the 8000 will have a fan....That would not be welcome in my home theater!

The 8000 would have to compare to the 1066 and I would say it has no chance to compete with that piece. Quality wise or sound wise. MHO of course.

7. Rich Wenzel

I am not sure about the replacement of the AVR 8000 having a fan, but the replacement of the 520 (the 525) does. And I agree, fans are the suck.

Rich

8. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

Most new HK's have fans, and although they say they are noisy, it may be something else to go wrong. Have any of you had a chance to audition the HK or Marantz? I am looking at the new HK7200 or the new all digital HK 1001, and the Marantz 7300. Have heard good things about both, but hte more I look at Rotel, the more I think a 1055 is the answer. Thanks for anyones input.

9. Matthew Ar

Matthew Ar Auditioning

Hi Rich,

You mentioned that newer versions of the 1055 have extended bandwidth for video switching. Do you know how to tell whether a unit has this functionality (s/n, etc) or where I can find more information on it? I have searched all everything I can think of and have found nothing except this thread. I'm asking because I'm considering buying a 1055 used and I want to know exactly what I'd be getting.

Also, I've read quite a bit about the double bass problem, and that Rotel was supposidly taking it seriously. However, I haven't found any posts saying it was fixed. Does anyone know if Rotel has either a) fixed it, or b) given up?

Thanks,
    Matt

10. Simon Barnard

Simon Barnard Auditioning

Matthew
    It doesn't seem that anyone is sure yet, it seems to be a serial number thing, but the cutoff point is not known, see here -
    http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...50455&Forum=25
    As for the bass issue, the latest f/w addresses part of the problem, it allows the sub to be disabled. I don't have a sub so not something I have looked into too deeply, but some more details here -
    http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...=25&StartRow=1
    and if you haven't already found it, some discussion about the bass mgmt issue here -
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=87633
    HTH
    Simon

11. Rich Wenzel

I would find out the serial number of the rotel you were considering buying and sending them an email or calling to ask if it is an updated one or not, i am sure they will tell you...i mean if they dont, they probably just lost a sale...it might be better to email them, then you have a record of it.

also, let us know what you find out if you do go this route, we will all be interested...

Rich

12. Matthew Ar

Matthew Ar Auditioning

Simon and Rich, thanks for the replies. The unit I was looking at has already been sold, but I'll probably buy one eventually. If I do contact Rotel about another unit, I'll post the result.

Matt