Rotel 1055 or 972

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bullis, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jason Bullis

Jason Bullis Auditioning

I am in the market for a Rotel 1055 or 972, what should I expect to pay for these, or people who have these what have you paid, I need some ammo when talking to my dealer. Also people who have owned these what are the pros and cons of one verses the other?

Jason

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

i am sure that Andrew will have better info...
    You can get the 972 for about 750-800 now as its an older model.
    You can get the 1055 for about 1200 and its a brand new model.
    They both have the same rated power and same amount of inputs for audio (both digital and analog) although I am not sure if the 972 has 5.1 or 6.1 audio in (the 1055 has 6.1).
    1055 has component switching (not a bid deal for most people I would think)
    1055 has 10 pre-outs (not sure on the 972 but I am betting its less) and has basically all non-brand specific formats, DD, DTS, DPL2, DTS:Neo 6, DTS ES, DTS ES Discrete, DD EX, etc. etc. it also has HDCD. the 972 has some but not all of these formats (refer to Rotel's web page www.rotel.com to get the specifics)
    They have the same rated power.
    1055 has a rs-232 port the 972 does not
    they have the same remote (i kind of like the remote, very easy to teach it commands)
    1055 has software upgradeable firmware, I don't think (but i am not sure) that the 972 does.
    Good luck
    Rich

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Rich summed it up pretty well. IMO if you can afford the 1055 its well worth the extra cash over its smaller brother if for no other fact then the 1055 is virtually identical to the 1066 pre amp and is firmware upgradeable. Those dollar figures seem pretty close though in Canada we get a little price break so it shouldn't be hard to go under $1200 US on this side of the boarder (not incl tax)

4. Arnold van Oostrum

I would recommend you go for the RSX-1055. It's a complete different machine where as it comes to the DSP chipset. I've had the opportunity to audition them both. The RSX-1055 has much better detail with surround material.
    The RSX-1055 has DPL-II which in my opinion makes it even a better choice than the older RSX-972, which only has DPL.

5. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I maybe going a little off-topic here, but I was reading the specs on the rotel website, and it states the rotel 1055 as having a power consumption of 850 Watts.
    I was pretty impressed by this figure and went on to check the power consumption of the 1065: 550 Watts?!

What's the deal here? Is the 1065 much more efficient, or is this an error?

6. Arnold van Oostrum

According to the manual of the RSX-1055, the powerconsumption is 450 W. So, I think an error in info on the website.

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I don't think the 972 has an analog bypass mode for the 2 channel inputs and it certainly doesn't have adjustable crossover or extra decoding modes (DPLII, ES, EX). It would all depend on how good a price you could get on the 972 vs the 1055.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Jason,

The question to be asked is: "Do I want to have to upgrade 6mths from now??". More than likely you would be pleased with the 972 and what it has to offer. But for a few more $$$ why not get the latest and greatest so you don't come across that question. I personally went the other route when I moved to separates. Spend $1500+ for a pre/pro or get a NIB Marantz AV560U of Ebay for $600. I went with the latter. Definitely wasn't disappointed.

Kevin

9. Jason Bullis

Jason Bullis Auditioning

Well it looks like I broke down and bought the 1055 today I paid 1169 out the door, well let me mess with for a couple of days to get the hang of things.
    Jason[​IMG]

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

good news Jason.

11. Rich Wenzel

out of curiousity, what speakers do you have?

and you did better than me, i paid 1180 before tax which was abut 1300 after tax...

and it had a nick on it.

Rich

12. Jason Bullis

Jason Bullis Auditioning

I am using Paradigm Monitor 7's v3 for the front, mini monitor v3 for the rear, I am going to get a cc370 center, I am not going to use a sub at this time. Rich what are you running? What verson of software does yours have on it? Mine has 1.3.7, I am trying to figure on how to update--do you know how to, when I asked my dealer they had no idea this was the first one of these sold.

Jason

13. Rich Wenzel

Click on Andrew's HTGuide link. On his message boards he has a detailed explanation of how to do it. You need a pc and some special cable (Andrew "I should be receiving checks from Rotel" Pratt even has a way to build your own cable). I haven't updated it. My dealer will do it for me.

My firmware is 1.4.1 june 02.

I think the current version is 1.4.6 or something. Again you can find out about that on Andrew's page.

I am running B&W 605s2's front and rears and the LRC6s2 center.

I think your speakers are brighter than mine, so you should get better sound than I do, at least imo.

Keep us updated.

Rich

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

[​IMG]
    Jason I'd be happy to walk you though it if you'd like. Email me and I'll get you going.

15. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

Wanting a quality AV receiver for music as well as HT and with HDCD, I just setting my heart on the Rotel 1055, when a deal too good to be true appears... Harman Kardon AVR-8000 listing at $2,800 and going for $1,227!?!?!

Any informed opinions of HK AVR-8000 vs. the Rotel 1055 for actual music sound quality (not bells and whistles)...?

-Steve

16. Rich Wenzel

Tough call Steve. When I saw the onecall thing for 1280, I got some buyers remorse. Then I remembered how ugly the H&K is and I lost my buyers remorse [​IMG]
    If you put a gun to my head, I would say that the H&K is a better value at that price. Having said that, i have never heard it.
    Rich

17. Steve & Karen

Steve & Karen Stunt Coordinator

fyi that is at OneCall:
    http://www.onecall.com/Shipping.SHP?...VR8K&PMNID=241
    See also at http://www.gotapex.com./deals.php
    ...scroll down to Oct 3 for listing at OneCall
    I spoke with guy at OneCall who said that model 8000 is about 1 yr old and being discontinued soon... still sounds like a good deal... listed as out of stock but they are taking back orders at special price... so anybody know how it actually sounds compared to say Rotel 1055?
    -Steve