What's new

rotel 1055 or 1066 (1 Viewer)

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
I need to upgrade my receiver"Denon 3600". Should I go with a 1055 or the 1066? Do they have the same features? Will there be a significant improvement over the 3600? What is the street price on these two pieces? Thanks in advance Mike

DanaA

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that this is coming from a 1066 owner, but I'd seriously consider the 1055.

First off, its msrp is a couple of hundred dollars less.

Secondly, many who use it hear little if any difference as a pre-pro when compared directly to the 1066, although for some differences do exist as the specs on the two units indicate.

Third off, you get the pretty nice power amp section of the 1055 and, if you listen to radio through your system, the 1055 has a tuner. With the 1066, youneed to add a dedicated power amp. With the 1055, if you choose to add a power amp, the main channels of amp from the 1055 are reassignable to the rear channel.

Functionally and operationally, the two units are identical, as far as I know.

The reason I personally use a 1066 is because I already owned a power amp, wanted that extra little bit of sonic performance, don't use tuners, and only go 5.1 in my system.

You should go over to Club Rotel and search through some of the threads. This issue has been debated (in the usual friendly, helpful manner of Club Rotel posters ;), and there are people who can justify either choice.

Hope this helps and here's your link to Club Rotel

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks DanaA, What about the sound difference between the 3600 and the Rotels? Will it be a Big difference? I've had the 3600 almost 7 yrs. Thanks

DanaA

Screenwriter
I don't know about the older model Denons, but at Club Rotel, an awful lot have changed over from Denon to Rotel or opted for the Rotel over the Denon. Of course, a product specific site is going to have biases tilted in the direction of that product. I don't want to upset anyone here, because Denon is a very fine product, but, when I compared the two, I noticed a big difference between the two when doing two channel and very little difference with regard to HT applications. Just my opinion.

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
DanaA, The system would be 95% hometheater use. I have a separate setup for music. Thats the main reason I ask about the upgrade. If it is not that big of an improvement in HT then I'll just keep the old Denon.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mike your Denon doesn't have DTS does it? Sound wise it will sound cleaner but you'll also gain other processing modes like 6.1, 7.1, Pro logic II, DTS, DTS:Neo and of course Rotels XS processing (works similar to Logic 7)

Mike.D.K

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew the Denon doesn't have DTS. Whats a good price for the 1055? That way I can bargain with the dealer. Thanks Mike

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator

In this case I would say DO get a new HT receiver as you will notice a difference in processing abilites inputs etc etc.

I would not spend the $ for Rotel if you are 95% HT use and have a dedicated music system. I own a Rotel RSX 1055 and I still would tell you for HT only use you can get as good if not better performance for less money with NAD, Denoon HK etc. Plus they will have more HT type features. I love my 1055 but it is my only system.

Now if you plan to have a pre pro/amp combo no reason that I can see NOT to chose the cheaper 1055 and have a tuner as well as some amplification to drive other speakers.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I will be selling my mint 1055 in a few days if you're interested. Its got the bass management fix and the lastest firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks