Rotel 1055/1075 or 1055/1080

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arron H, May 18, 2003.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Does anyone out there have a strong opinion either way when choosing between these 2 options?

Pricewise, these two combinations are equivalent. Both can be configured for 7.1. The 1080 allows you to throw more power at the mains for 2 stereo listening. The 1055/1075 gives you an equal amount of power to all speakers driven for 5.1 HT.

I will be using N805s, HTM2, and 601s for surrounds. The N805s are supposed to sound significantly better in 2 channel stereo with the extra wattage offered by the 1080. If I could go with a 1070 instead of a 1080 and still do well in 2 channel stereo, I could save about $300.

I am probably missing some of the pros and cons for each so, please help me out. This is a decision that I plan to live with for quite awhile - I do not want to upgrade again for at least 5 years.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You'll likely find your answers here

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

First question, do you listen to more music or watch more movies?

if you listen to more music, I would go with the 1080 and the 1075 if you watch more movies.

You know, the more I think about it, unless you are going for 7.1, I would get the 1080...

My reasoning is that the RSX1055 is 5*75, I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 channel modes its like 3*100 or something.

So that would mean that your fronts would have 200, and everything else would have 100. but if you got the 1075, you would be at waht 120x5?

Btw, what are you using for a sub?

Rich

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Rich and Andy, thanks for your replies. I'm using an Adire Rava sub.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Who's andy[​IMG]

6. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Whoops, Andrew [​IMG] BTW, this is for 50% music, 50% HT.

7. GenoM

GenoM Extra

Not sure if you are familiar with Rotel's stereo performance....If you are and you liked it then please don't read on.....

The only experience with Rotel I have is with the 1055 RSX model which I returned 'cause the stereo sound was the worst I've heard yet. I listened to top of the line NAD models, Marantz and Arcam. All had significant better stereo reproduction. Rotel even had trouble producing a stereo image altogether. Upper high registers were so harsh sounding as to make prolonged listening very unconfortable.

8. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Geno, what did you end up buying? I notice in one of your posts it looks you were going to buy a 1055. This is the first really negative comment I have read about the 1055, where did it come from?

9. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

GenoM - I'd think that unit was defective. You can not like Rotel's sound - that is fine by me, but if it was very harsh something dosen't seem right.

10. GenoM

GenoM Extra

Hi Arron, Hi Kevitra,

To best answer your questions, I'll have to give you some background...please bear with me[​IMG]

Arron: I ended up with an Arcam Diva 200. Although not very sophisticated technically, it does sound much more how music should sound in comparison with the Rotel. I bought the Rotel in Amsterdam (where I live) at Hobo HiFi, an authorized Rotel dealer.

Kevitra:

I took home the Rotel which was still in its sealed box, let it play non-stop for two weeks (thank God for radio[​IMG] and then started to listen critically. I invited friends over and asked them to bring their favorite CD. Even the HiFi neophytes joined the sessions I did over the next week. We all agreed the upper high registers (Drum high hat, soprano's "s" and "t" and especially saxophone) sounded so harsh as to become unpleasant to prolonged hearing.

Remember, I was so proud of my new Rotel's dolby capabilities I found it impossible to believe its stereo sounded....well....inadequate. Although the dolby sound was somewhat sharp and aggressive, it in no way matched the harshness we heard when playing CD's in regular stereo. To give you an example: The Master recordings made from Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side Of The Moon". I used Perry's Saxophone solo as some of the audition material. The Rotel made the upper saxophone registers sound like a concert trumpet. One of my session companions is a professional musician who plays next to a saxophone in his band. He agreed the sound was at times unbelievably harsh and piercing and made prolonged listening very demanding.

I auditioned several other receivers of course....Marantz, 2 models of NAD, Arcam. My old amp was a Accuphase P-400 which I don't own anymore unfortunately. It never sounded remotely like this, nor did the receivers. Mind you, the Rotel has its merits...it's a very fast and dynamic sounding amp with very good, controlled and unspectacular bass.(Which is a real pro in my book[​IMG]) Spectacular sound has a way of becoming tiresome after a couple of weeks of auditioning. Like the sound of an instrument played by a talented musician never becomes tiresome.

In the end it's all about taste, I agree. My sessions with the Rotel made me suspicious if taste was what drove the engineers at Rotel. I tried very hard to like the Rotel as did a lot of my friends. We didn't manage. Stereo imaging never quite seemed to happen, no matter how we positioned the speakers. Solo instruments were smeared over the two speakers and the sound stage of an orchestra lacked depth. I've got a theory about how this must happen: Left and right channel in a stereo recording differ slightly in phase. It's this phase difference that two speakers use to create the illusion of a sound stage in front of you.(Like the way you perceive depth when looking at a distant object; because of the separate images the eyes relay to the brain, it processes these images into depth perception.) Probably Rotel's SP chip slightly but noticeably processed something within the phase difference of the two channels. I used three sets of speakers: My own home-build's consisting of a dynaudio super tweeter, an Eton dual voice coil hexacone and zero-ohm transformer coils in the x-over circuits with silver soldering throughout. Cabinet is 22mm braced MDF, open port design. Then a pair of ready made Dynaudio audience 82. My room has been acoustically treated to flatten out some peaks in the bass response and reduce flutter echo. I used Bruel&Kjaer equipment to measure the room's acoustical response. (A friend of mine is a sound engineer who likes to help out every once in a while[​IMG]) Apart from the measuring equipment, he also supplied the third set of speakers: The Duntech PCL 25 studio monitors.

My guess is all of the used speakers are very analytical and perhaps is the reason for the perceived harshness by all "review members". Who can tell?

11. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

GenoM - Wow, thanks for the detailed reply!

I had the 1055 in my home for a couple of weeks and found the soundstage to be very tight (using ACI Sapphires). I didn't find it harsh, but I often listen at very low volumes. I also have a very 'plush' room, which could have reduced the brightness.

I'll have an NAD T762 in the next week or so. I am intersted in seeing how it performs compared to the Rotel. I obviously won't have them to do side-by-side comparisons, but swapping receivers takes 10-15 minutes anyway so quick A/B comparsions are almost impossible.

12. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

GenoM, yes, thanks for the reply. This is somewhat discouraging because as I mentioned above, I listen to about 50% music 50% HT. I really need to pay closer attention to the 1055 in stereo mode with a pair of 805s during my next audition.

13. GenoM

GenoM Extra

Kevitra,

I get carried away sometimes...[​IMG] Well, then again, HiFi was and always will be my sweetest frustration[​IMG]

Actually, after doing some extended listening with the Arcam Diva 200 I own I found it to be sonically almost identical to the T761. It also uses the exact same setup menu software.

The follow-up on the T761, the T752 I auditioned afterwards had something that constituted bass management whereas the T761 had none - the x-over frequency was fixed at 100 Hz and SPL calibration was downright impossible due to the test signal cycling through the speakers without stopping long enough for me to take measurements. All these problems -together with the famous fan trouble- were (after some time) fixed in the T752. At 5x75W it's not exactly a powerhouse but it has some reserves stashed away.

As the Arcam has the same software as the discontinued T761, it also has no bass management and has its LFE x-over frequency fixed at 100 Hz. The Arcam I'm auditioning suffers from a mechanical problem with the tape input's right channel: I had to wiggle the input cinch connector to get it working. It sometimes still drops out so I had to tie the VCR input cables together to put some pressure on the cinch connectors. This works pretty well. Although it's a demo model, it's not very trust inspiring.

Now the T762 has arrived I think I want to check it out 'cause if its stereo is at least as good as the T752 then I'm halfway there. I checked out the specs and it has the same setup software as the T752. Bass management with x-over points at 40-60-80-100 or 120 Hz. Nice touch are its 6x100W (6 actual amplifiers) output stages; sounds decent enough for my small dwelling. It is the only NAD with a toroidal transformer, keeping power high and case height low. (Also gives the transformer better power saturation characteristics.) It has two fans which could present a problem when turning up the volume.....but as I mentioned before, I'm sure they fixed the old fan problem on this one so fan noise should be a thing of the past. (The NAD models have a tendency to run pretty hot.)

Keep me posted on your findings with the T762. We could exchange our experiences on this model. Thanks again[​IMG]

14. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I am also hoping that the fans are quiet. From what I have read, users of the newer 752 have said the 'new' fans are very quiet.

Enough hijacking of this thread. I will start a T762 thread once I have my unit and get to listen to it enough to make a judgement.

15. GenoM

GenoM Extra

Kevitra,

Ok, great! Let me know when you've posted.

16. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

GenoM - My receiver is arriving on Friday. Check this forum Sunday night or Monday night. I should have a good idea of what it can do by then.

17. GenoM

GenoM Extra

That's a coincidence! Today I got word from my dealer and he's got one for auditioning ready for me to pick up in two days. That should be fun, talk to you. Thanks!

18. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Oh well, this thread went off in a different direction but it is interesting. Kevitra, are you considering using a 270 or 370 with the 762 or an amp from a different company? I notice both of these amps are reasonably priced but am not that familiar with them. How do they stack up against the Rotel amps?

19. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I already have a Rotel 1070 amp that I will be using for the front 2 channels.

20. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Well, hopefully your 762 won't compromise it's stereo imaging superiority by pairing it with a Rotel amp. Good luck.