Rotel 1055, 1065 0r B&K 305??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gianni, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Greetings all-new comer here.

Am looking for input on my current dilemma:

I am shopping for a new receiver and was really leaning towards the Rotel rsx 1055. I then discovered a placard on back reading " SPEAKER IMPEDANCE 8 OHMS MINIMUM ". This was a surprise considering Rotel is so well known for their ample power supplies. Turns out (as far as I can tell) this is the only product in the Rotel line not using a toroid type transformer. I am planning on using this with 4 OHM M&K speakers. What to do? Is this for real?

Since this discovery, I have started looking at the Rotel RSX 1065 and the B&K 305 which are becoming available at close to Rotel prices with the new models coming out.

I know the B&K is shy a few processing modes but this isn't a huge deal to me (or should it be?) as my emphasis is more on music and than movies. On the other hand I do like the Rotel products and don't know if the B&K will offer substantially better sound for the extra dollars.

Anyone familiar with these models? Rotel or B&K? Any input or comparisons are appreciated.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I wouldn't buy the 1065 since its going to be replaced shortly. I'm surprised the 1055 isn't rated for 4 ohm loads but I should be able to test it on my new speakers in a week or so when I get them finished (I'm building them) I normally use seperate amps but it wouldn't be to hard to switch over to the internal amps for a demo. Depending on your budget I'd think you could likely buy a 1055 and a used 5 channel amp cheaper then the 1065.

3. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Andrew,

Thanks for the idea. If you get a chance to test your speakers with the 1055, I'd be curious to know the outcome.
    Good luck with your speakers.

4. Harold A

Harold A Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at the Rotel and something caught my eye. On the web page and in their product brochure it states the power consumption of the 1055 to be 850 watts. This at first said to me that it would have ample power. However, after looking at the back of a unit it says 450 watts. So maybe the amps are as beefy as they claim.

5. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED BITH BRANDS BUT AM SOMEWHAT MORE FAMILIAR WITH B&K, SO I WILL PASS ALONG THIS JUICY LITTLE FACTOID THAT MAY (ALTHOUGH I'M NOT SURE ) BE ALSO TRUE OF THE ROTEL RCVRS.....B&K is adamant about pointing out that most rcvrs REALLY, REALLY skimp on their pre-out section and that the quality thereof is quite a bit less than what you find on a REAL stand-alone pre-amp. They , however, use the exact same components and signal pathways in the pre-out section of their rcvrs as they do on their stand-alone pre-pro's......
    So ,if you ever upgrade to outboard amps, you would have an excellent pre-amp............

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

As a side note, how much is everyone paying for their 1055's?

Aaron

7. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Got my silver one for $1170. Combined with a RB-985 MKII amp, makes a great combo.

Earle

8. morrisjones

morrisjones Agent

I bought the 1065 just recently with no regrets. I'm in a room that could never support 7.1 (though the 1065 does), and it's a marvelous receiver. I really wanted the extra power over the 1055.

Mojo

9. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Has anyone seen or know of any reviews on the Rotel RSX 1055?

10. EricT

EricT Auditioning

To bring back Gianni's question:
    I purchased the 1055 and I'm bringing home a pair of Thiel 2.3's to test out with it but they are 4 ohm speakers. Should I not do this? That would limit my choice on my final 3 speakers. (2 out of the 3 are 4 ohm). Anything I can do?

11. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I use Rotels 985 THX mk2 5 channel amp, for a time my 2 front speakers were Definitives early BP20s without the impedance mod., these guys were basicly a 2 ohm speaker, along with Paridigms which are not 8 ohm (compatible with 8ohms) before the Rotel I was using the top JVC reciever (don't remember the model)The JVC would shut down almost imediatly, never had a wimper out of the Rotel. Also my Subs are 2-4ohm compound loaded 10 inch drivers (2 of these) I drive these with a Rotel 2 channel (135x2) no problems.
    There is a lot of difference between seperate amps and reciever amps, I don't care who's name is on it. Been there done that too many times, so much more flexibility with seperates. Buy good amps to start drive them briefly with a reciever untill you can get your stand alone pre-amp. Think about it do you really think a 800 dollar reciever has the same componets that its big brother has at 3000 dollars. I want that reciever real bad.