Roswell

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brody Bergen, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Brody Bergen

Brody Bergen Auditioning

i was wondering what people thought of the t.v. series Roswell, i borrowed it from a friends sister who'd bought the first and second season, i liked the first season and havn't watched the second yet, i was told there are 3 seasons, is anyone else waiting for a dvd release of the third season? and what did you think of the show?

2. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I just finished watching the first season on DVD. I decided to take the plunge when I had an opportunity to pick up the box set for $14.99. I recalled enjoying the show quite a bit when it aired on the WB, but I was unprepared for how well it plays out as a full season. I know that Katims was forced to substitute many of the songs due to licensing issues, but I did not in any way find this change objectionable. The new music choices sound fine, and more importantly, work well in context. Also, the transfers look and sound terrific, boasting some of the best 5.1 mixes I've yet heard on a series TV program.

The season one storyline is great, too. This is well written television, especially when you view episodes consecutively as on DVD. The acting is surprisingly strong for a "teen drama," and there is a sustained sense of tension and intrigue right from the very first episode.

My recollection of season two is that things began to unravel by mid-season and the WB chose to not renew the show for a third season. A then struggling UPN, hastily picked up the program, but it never gained any traction for the netlet. They moved it on the schedule a time or two and bumped it many times as well. Eventually UPN burned off the remaining episodes of this truncated season, including a season finale that was shot as a two-hour episode, but cut down to a single hour before it aired. And that, was the end of the line for Roswell.

I can only speak for the season one DVD right now, but if you can find it on sale for $15 like me, I'd say it is a 'no brainer' to pick up.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

They didn't edit the finale down from 2 hours, the hour was cut in the writing phase. Toward the end of the season, the network cut the total # of episodes ordered down, so the writers had to wrap things up much more rapidly than they had planned. Despite that, I was happy with the finale--I mean, I would have liked the show to go on longer, but, at least we got some closure instead of a cliff-hanger.

I adored Roswell. I find the music changes pretty unbearable--I have such strong associations with the music that I just find it jarring to hear unfamiliar songs when my memory has the familiar one playing.

4. Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner Stunt Coordinator

actually i'm pretty sure it was edited down.

this is from www.tvtome.com

"This episode was filmed as a 2 hour finale, but the network didn't want to give them a longer timeslot, so the episode had to be trimmed down to the 1 hour finale."

So UPN did make them cut the episode down.

5. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I keep hearing that two hour versions of the season 2 and season 3 finales have been shot, buT I don't believe it until either version shows up on DVD (if anyone from FOX is listening, please include the extended version of Graduation if it is real- you have time since season 3 doesn't hit DVD in the US until summer).

6. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I have to admit that I was more or less a casual fan of Roswell. I watched much of the first season, but little of the other two. I remember that contemporary songs were often used to help establish a mood or generate an emotional response. What specific songs were used, in all honesty since I saw these shows just once, I would be hard pressed to say. Besides the Dido theme song, I think I related more to the Roswell score than any individual song. Thankfully, that score is included here as originally presented. I certainly understand how you feel, and if I were a bigger fan, then I might react the exact same way. But, I think that most casual fans or the uninitiated can sit down with these box sets and receive much enjoyment. That's all I was trying say. As always, YMMV. Cheers![​IMG]

7. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Since the third season already has fewer episodes, it sure seems like a natural (and compelling!) bonus addition. Sadly, it was not included in the Region 2 set released late last year. Perhaps we will be luckier, but I doubt it.

8. Andreas_K

Andreas_K Stunt Coordinator

There is a nice "complete" (not music) set of the 3 seasons out in the UK. I got that one when I fell in love with the show after having bought the first season from the US a few months ago.

Roswell is a very nice show that has one of the strongest 1st seasons I've seen yet, compared to the rest of the show, which is still good ("24" would be another example of this 1st season phenomenon). Also it has great cast with some good actors I hope to see/hear more from in the future.

I'm watching "Smallville" 1st season as well at the moment and I must say I don't like it nearly as much as I liked Roswell. That goes for both storylines and characters.

The first season of Roswell is its best because it has a great sense of danger for the characters which the following season really doesn't manage to recreate. OK, sometimes a few planets are in danger but aren't they always? [​IMG] .

The show was a blind buy for me - I knew there were music changes since the producers informed us beforehand, but at that time I thought it was an exception rather than the norm which it is now. I don't know if I would buy it again because music changes have become a curse by now, I try hard to avoid modified sets. In defense of the changes on this set I must say that I listened closely to the music because I knew it was changed (don't know from what though). I thought the choices they made are adequate. I would say they fit the mood of the scenes. Also they were smart to keep some key songs I would imagine. For example the important song in the 2nd season Christmas episode must be the same it originally was, because I can't imagine a different song there. It is perfect and they had the good sense to keep it.

I would recommend the show, if you can live with the music changes - it even is possible to just get the strong 1st season because it is pretty much stand-alone.

9. Cory B

Cory B Extra

I thought the first season was great, but I disliked them making it more "sci-fi". While season 2 still had some reasonable episodes, there was enough that bothered me that it soon feel off my "must watch" list. By the time season 3 came around it dropped to "never watch"... [​IMG] Maybe I was too harsh, but for now I'm happy to just have my Season 1 set.

10. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Gary's post- Wow, I'd forgotten (or just didn't notice-?) that the show moved from WB to UPN between 2 and 3. Huh.

The show declined in quality, but still had some good bits, and the girls were always cute...

My girlfriend LOVED the show.

Yeah, a longer version of the finale on dvd would be nice, since it definitely DID feel 'short'...

11. Don Giro

Don Giro Supporting Actor

Don

Seeing as I've only seen this show on DVD, the music changes haven't bothered me a bit, obviously, until the "Surprise" episode in Season Two, where Liz is discussing the music she's listening to, and the background music is CLEARLY not "Wish" from "Run Lola Run."

I've visited several sites that list the original music used on the series, but can't find a single one that lists the music that replaced the original. There's music playing at the beginning of Isabel's surprise party (in "Surprise" on the Season Two DVD), and the only lyrics I can make out are "What's that you say?" I'd LOVE to know what this song is. I've spent much of the morning Google-searching myself silly, and to no avail.

12. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

Here I am, watching a TV show on DVD, again, that has long past been talked about. *sigh*

I'm in the middle of Season 1 right now and it took me a little while to get into it but I am now hooked. I'm wondering if I will have anyone to discuss the show with when I feel the need to express myself about something? Or will I be SOL like I was when I was watching "Felicity" on DVD?

13. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

This is one series I really enjoyed and I hope to pick up all 3 seasons sometime in the near future.

14. ethanTo

ethanTo Stunt Coordinator

This was a good show, I liked the characters and actors (Shiri Appleby has sort of a weird 'style' which I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but I felt it worked for this character at least ,and haven't seen her in much else). It was at times a little sluggish and slow-paced, but overall enjoyable.

The third season, I'd still watch it if I had watched 1+2, but god, it's terrible, from start to finish, the Isabelle and Jesse plotlines were really a struggle to get through...

15. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I have to admit that I really loved the first season but I really never cared much for the second season although I had purchased the set. It was just a crying shame that they ended the series way before it had a chance to really develop. There's been a lot of fans who have been anxiously awaiting for a movie about this series. But some of the cast have expressed their desire not to do a movie or return for a continuation of the series.

16. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

a lot of people hate season 2, I think s2 is the best. Without any spoilers, I personally liked the show focusing more on the supernatural/action side of things, whereas 1 spent WAY TOO MUCH on the relationship angles. Season 2 of Roswell was fantastic from start to finish. I agree with the consensus that season 3 was the worst and destroyed what could've become a minor classic.

Roswell is just below Buffy, Angel and Supernatural for my favorite WB series ever.

17. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I think it's funny that this thread is resurrected considering I've been having some Roswell marathons lately as well from scratch.

Is it me or was there some prerequesit that Julie Benz appears at least once in every WB supernatural drama? lol

18. John*D

John*D Second Unit