What's new

Pre-Order Rosemary's Baby (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is the first time that I’ll be disagreeing with you, TravisR; which, I hope, you’ll find to be a good thing.

In terms of Physical Media, Paramount appears to be quite active, these days. Yup, it’s the big classics finding their way to 4K/UHD; such as “The Ten Commandments” and “My Fair Lady”. But then we’ve also got their newer BD line with their “Paramount Presents” program; with numbered spines, which is an indicator of many more, ahead. And then we’ve got the not-exclusive-to-Criterion outputs becoming available, as well; plus surprises like “Bagger Vance”.

For such an ever-rumored Physical Media funeral march, I’m finding it hard to believe that the casket even has an actual corpse in it.
I'd love to be wrong but like I said, I think the future for the studios on UHD will really only be key catalog titles and new releases. On the plus side, I think that smaller companies will be able to license titles so smaller movies will still get released and it won't be the END of physical media.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'd love to be wrong but like I said, I think the future for the studios on UHD will really only be key catalog titles and new releases. On the plus side, I think that smaller companies will be able to license titles so smaller movies will still get released and it won't be the END of physical media.
They’re still selling hard-cover books, despite the past closures of many major outlets and the advent of Kindle; so I remain confident.

If physical media becomes a thing of the past, it will only happen once something is firmly in place that offers equal or superior PQ, with selections that don’t disappear into thin air. There shall be endless experimentations trying to steal our attentions and the thunder of other competitors. But in good times and in bad, motion pictures are here to stay; as are our accesses to this medium. After all, how many times has it been said that “the theater is dead”? That day, that statement, will only be true when the membership of Actors Equity is no longer paying their dues.

The rollercoaster ride of ebbs and flows is a good one, but always, always, the audience ends up on top; which is why we reach into our pockets to take that ride, again.

Last edited:

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I can only state that Sony who re-released the film referenced on in the picture in my current post on blu-ray carried over the bonus features that were on the Twilight Time blu-ray of the film. Also, they released Mr. S's Taxi Driver on blu-ray featuring the Criterion commentary.
I recall Cliff MacMillan of Shout/Scream Factory saying that one of the conditions of licensing from Sony is that they get the special features you produce for the title (which I imagine is why their Dr. Strangelove UHD carried over all the Criterion Special features.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They’re still selling hard-cover books, despite the past closures of many major outlets and the advent of Kindle; so I remain confident.

If physical media becomes a thing of the past, it will only happen once something is firmly in place that offers equal or superior PQ, with selections that don’t disappear into thin air. There shall be endless experimentations trying to steal our attentions and the thunder of other competitors. But in good times and in bad, motion pictures are here to stay; as are our accesses to this medium. After all, how many times has it been said that “the theater is dead”? That day, that statement, will only be true when the membership of Actors Equity is no longer paying their dues.

The rollercoaster ride of ebbs and flows is a good one, but always, always, the audience ends up on top; which is why we reach into our pockets to take that ride, again.
Like I said, I don't think physical media is going away completely but studios are clearly moving away from it for their catalog but smaller labels licensing titles will help keep catalog releases alive.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Back in stock at Criterion.com. Wont say its a false alarm yet, but I've learned not to trust the "currently unavailable" as a sign that something is going OOP. I mean how many should you have learned that lesson from the BBS Box?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
"Currently Unavailable" which you can't order was never meant to mean OOP.
Even items like Zatoichi which were out of stock from months (maybe over a year) between replication cycles/restock, this is how they were listed.

or occasionally they just list an item for Backorder which you can still create an order -- I'm assuming the difference is Criterion has a reasonable idea when the next batch will be available,

Criterion.com pretty much labels items OOP for items no longer being produced.

They even have a specific section for OOP items. To be honest I'm shocked that after nearly 25 years this list is as short as it is given the 100 of countries and studios to deal with,

Only 1/46 OOP Eclipse Release

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Back in stock at Criterion.com. Wont say its a false alarm yet, but I've learned not to trust the "currently unavailable" as a sign that something is going OOP. I mean how many should you have learned that lesson from the BBS Box?
That's good to hear. It's weird that their Rosemary's Baby, Days Of Heaven and Don't Look Now were all out of stock though.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ow I feel somewhat foolish.

Criterion OOP list changed drastically in the last 24 hrs adding 6 BD titles to the list including Rosemary's Baby. I guess they'll still sell current stock rather than pulling all the old discs. Unfortunately I'm not how many will survive at B&N shelves until July

Harold and Maude
Harold and MaudeHal AshbyUnited States1971
Rosemary’s Baby
Rosemary’s BabyRoman PolanskiUnited States1968
Nashville
NashvilleRobert AltmanUnited States1975
La dolce vita
La dolce vitaFederico FelliniItaly1960
Don’t Look Now
Don’t Look NowNicolas RoegUnited Kingdom1973

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, for those who feel the need -- a lot of these items are still available to order at some stores including B&N and AMazon. FWIW many of the B&N stores appear to have in-store stock though it may be at full MSRP.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I doubt it will ever disappear completely. Back in the mid 90's, who would've predicted we could still buy vinyl records at Walmart in 2021?

I don't remember seeing vinyl records there in the mid-1990s, nor Best Buy when it first opened.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it will ever disappear completely. Back in the mid 90's, who would've predicted we could still buy vinyl records at Walmart in 2021?

I don't remember seeing vinyl records there in the mid-1990s, nor Best Buy when it first opened.

That was Malcolm's point. Vinyl was dead in the mid-90s and no one would've predicted a resurgence 2 decades later...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That was Malcolm's point. Vinyl was dead in the mid-90s and no one would've predicted a resurgence 2 decades later...
Wish it hadn't. Around this time 10 years ago, you could get anything that wasn't Floyd or the Beatles for not much money. Now you gotta spend the big bucks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wish it hadn't. Around this time 10 years ago, you could get anything that wasn't Floyd or the Beatles for not much money. Now you gotta spend the big bucks.
Yeah, I used to be able to get random soundtracks or old rock or soul records that looked cool for less than a buck, and now pretty much everything is relatively expensive.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah, I used to be able to get random soundtracks or old rock or soul records that looked cool for less than a buck, and now pretty much everything is relatively expensive.
And now you know why 75% of my record collection is classical.

Its CHEAP.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Harold and Maude is also Paramount. Just watched that disc the other week. If Paramount were preparing a 4K, I’d consider it.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Many Criterion releases have been released at a fraction of the price overseas by other labels- with the same transfer as the Criterion... just missing the extras.

Paramount released "Rosemary's Baby" years ago in the UK I got it myself for 6 UK pounds.

More recently, Amazon Italy had Alfonso Cuaron's "Roma" for 7.99 euros (Warner Bros.)

There are lots more available if you are not too bothered with extra features but still want the excellent Criterion video transfer.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
IF you are overseas that might be an option, but with current shipping costs, that fraction of the price is now 120+% of the usual $20USD most Criterions could be bought (not counting the new OOP items).

I dare say there are more than a few Criterions that may have superior releases from certain labels with either better transfer and/or same or more extras. BFI and Eureka do excellent releases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks