Roseanne season 6 - 12/5

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jay_B!, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

by years end, we will have the bulk of Roseanne's finest moments on DVD. 5 and 6 were the ones I was most excited about owning. It's so nice how we've already passed the midway point with this show when you consider it wasn't really all that long ago when season 1 came out, just over a year, and now 2/3 of the series is either out or been announced.

While the DVD's got off to a shaky start with the edited season 1, I think Anchor Bay has really made up for it with the speedy UNCUT followup releases, and each set thus far has a few nice extras, nothing Seinfeldish, but a little something for the fans each year. I think season 1 being edited didn't bother me so much after I found out season 2+ would be uncut because frankly, I don't like season 1 that much. There are a few episodes that year I like (such as the dead salesman and the tornado episode) but to me, it wasn't quite Roseanne yet the way it became in subsequent seasons. Season 1 and season 7 are the bottom of the barrel for Roseanne to me, so I didn't feel the gut kick that I would've had it been seasons 4-6 that got edited to hell and back.

2. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

:O What about 9? I'd put that in my barrel, right at the bottom.

I am glad they are coming quick, and with uncut episodes and some nice features.

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I definitely predicted we'd see season 6 by December. If they stick to this schedule, the series should be completed by next summer. How cool is that? I love how most of the shows I'm currently collecting are either completed or nearing completion. I'll have to start looking into collecting some new series' pretty soon. [​IMG]

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

season 9 isn't one of my favorite seasons, but I think time has been good to it. I'd probably rank it about the middle, alongside seasons 3 and 8 in my book (but below 4-6 and above 1, 2 and 7). In terms of being another season of Roseanne and keeping the Conner family storyline, it's lackluster, but if you see the season as autobiographical to Roseanne's life and career, the way she intended it, I think the appreciation for the season is much better. There are some series nadir moments in the last season, but there's also a lot that I enjoyed immensely.

5. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    The quality of the series does start to drop with this season. But there were still fabulous episodes from this point to the end of the series. Even the last, much maligned season has some great eps.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

well, I don't think the quality drops until about the last 1/4 of the season, which was about the same time Roseanne and Tom Arnold were divorcing. It really took a lot of the aim and edge out of the show, but even then there were some good episodes. IMO, season 7 is the worst because you could tell Roseanne didn't want to be there that season, she was newly divorced, pregnant and took ill several times (she actually didn't appear in several episodes this season) and she was also famously depressed that year. It took a toll on the show and I think a lot of viewers abandoned it. But IMO, while season 8 was a far cry from the show at its peak, you could tell that Roseanne was back to herself and the show once again became fun to watch.