Roseanne Season 3

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jakeDust, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jakeDust

jakeDust Extra

Anyone else excited about Roseanne Season 3 coming out? I'm pretty sure this is the season that had a lot of guest appearences. I think Leonardo DiCaprio isone of them.

Does anyone know if Roseanne Season 3 has uncut episodes? I sure hope so, I was so bummed with Season 1 episodes that were syndicated.

2. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I don't see any reason why they'd go back to syndie cuts after season 2 were full-length episodes. I am looking forward to it too, but even moreso season 4 on June 27th, which is when the show really got great IMO

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    It's already been stated that all future sets will consist of network episodes. No more syndicated ones. I'm really looking forward to this set. I've loved this show for many years and was ecstatic when I first heard it would be available on DVD. Of course, I was royally upset about the 1st season release (as per the aforementioned reason). But since all sets following the 1st consist of network episodes, my disappointment decreased. I recieved both 1st and 2nd seasons for Christmas. Although highly unlikely, but if they did go back and re-issue the 1st season with complete episodes, I'd gladly double dip. But since, for now this is what we have, I've learned to live with it.

I'm really happy with how quickly this show is getting released. Especially with season 4 coming in June. I can't wait.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

personally, I am a lot more offended with Cosby than Roseanne. IMO, Cosby only had three great seasons in it (1-3) and one of those was edited... the first season of Roseanne is one of the weakest seasons of the show, so I can't say I was all that torn up when I found out about season 1 and almost immediately afterward heard that season 2-9 would be unedited. The first season of Roseanne bares little resemblence to the show I loved.

5. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I really like the sleazy arc of Roseanne (Seasons 4-6) the best.

The first arc seemed too family friendly and more of a family sitcom, espceially season 1. Though I enjoy Seasons 1-3 in their own right.

Seasons 7-9 I felt just dragged the show into the ground and got worse and worse until the show decayed completely.

Gilligan's Island episode followed by the horrible lottery episodes for example.

So, I would get up to season 6 is what I am trying to say.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I hear ya, 4-6 were my faves too. I don't think seasons 8 and 9 are quite as dreadfully bad as people make them to be though. They were a far cry from the show at its peak, but I still liked them, as opposed to the last couple seasons of Cosby which bared no resemblence to the best seasons.

7. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    The last season of Roseanne may have become infamous for it's outrageousness but there are some excellent stand-alone eps in that year with some major plot points. As a general rule, casual fans should avoid the fantasy eps of this season and stick to the ones that are just about Roseanee & Dan's marriage, his heart attack recovery, and Dan's problems with his mother. However, if you see Roseanne on top of a train . . . RUN FOR YOUR LIFE !

All in all, i say keep em coming. This is one of my favorite shows ever. And it was groundbreaking to say the VERY least.

8. ethanTo

ethanTo Stunt Coordinator

I love Roseanne, and am anxiously waiting for Season 3 (bought s1 + s2 as soon as they came out). I loved both!

I stopped watching the show during its primetime airing, and never really saw how it all ended. But they just recently played the entire series as far as I can tell on Oxygen (ended sometime within the last month).

Man, oh man. As much as I love the self-proclaimed 'domestic goddess' the 8th season was really up and down....and the 9th season....I'd read bad reviews of it, but didn't want to believe, and hoped to find some redeeming quality to it. It was just absolutely terrible in all respects. I liked the premise that led into the final revelation in the finale (a teary-eyed moment with Dan's chair at the dinner table), and the concept could have been something great if executed well, but that last season was just...words cannot describe...

I don't get why sitcoms in general like to do those types of episodes where they take all the characters and put them into another place and time. I mean, it sounds good in concept, but those episodes are always the worst. In season 2, that episode with the the Roseanne promotional musical, that was just garbage! And season 9 was basically 25 episodes of THAT.

9. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Season 1 was really too 'sitcom', it feels so much like Home Improvement (its first seasons) - you can tell Matt Williams was still working there.

The Season 3 extra's are terrible, Anchor Bay are getting worse (3rd Rock Season 4 has a terrible list) - they are so weak, how hard is it to get somebody (any castmember) to record some Audio Commentaries - even if its not Roseanne. You throw a mic and a glass of water down and play the episode.

10. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    At this point commentaries are probably more difficult to do as people want to be paid for them.

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

personally, I think appreciation of camp has to do with if you enjoy season 9 or not. Season 9 has a lot of episodes that are more campy than serious, if you enjoy camp, you like seeing the Conner's mingling in the Hamptons, Roseanne and Jackie hanging out at a NY party with the AbFab girls, and the like. If you only liked Roseanne as a family sitcom (which it had stopped being long before that point), then that stuff is torture to watch, but a lot of us love it.

12. RoyWilbury

RoyWilbury Stunt Coordinator

There are elements of the final season that are funny, but they tend to involve other cast members. The stuff with Roseanne and Jackie during that seasons just seemed too eccentric, dry, self-indulgent, etc. Even some of the stuff with the other cast members seemed ridiculous. Most of the dramatic stuff seemed out of place as well, as I feel it usually is in sitcoms.

It's one thing for a creative person (whether on TV, or movies, music, etc.) to thumb their nose at what is "commercial" in order to give fans what they like. But with the end of "Roseanne", it didn't seem like some sort of artistic liberation for fans who wanted a more unique show. It seemed more like what Roseanne felt like doing. It kind of reminded me of seeing a live music performance and watching a band jam endlessly, where it's clear that the actual band is enjoying it more than the audience watching it. I think Roseanne enjoyed doing those episodes more than the viewers enjoyed watching them.

13. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

I can't wait for season 3 to be released. I loved the Rodbell's diner story line, especially the first appearance of Martin Mull as Leon. Hopefully they'll get an interview with him for season 4 extras. Did anyone else ever notice that in a very few episodes, the sign on the wall in the diner read "We reserve the right to serve refuse to anyone" rather than the usual "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? Loved the diner.

14. Sean D.

Sean D. Agent

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. I'm looking forward to owning the entire series of this show.

15. MichaelFA

MichaelFA Stunt Coordinator

Concerning the discussion of Season 9:

It is my favorite season, by far. There were a couple episodes that were duds, but I'd rather have 20 or so episodes that I consider to be pretty creative and brilliant, compared with a whole season that, while still very funny, is just consistent and relies on the same themes.

Where else on television do you see the type of storytelling/storylines that you saw in Roseanne Season 9? Almost nowhere. It's unique. It's different. And if people don't like that it's different, or feel it's too far-out, then it doesn't really hurt the show much, because it's the last season anyways. But I personally love it. It's probably one of my favorite seasons of all television shows, and definitely (for me) the most creative.

Those are just my opinions, but there are a lot of fans who absolute love Season 9, and even some people who don't really like the show who could really enjoy the last season. So maybe it's a love it or hate it type deal?

16. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I dislike when people use the "love it or hate it" thing. Honestly is there really anything out there that EVERYONE either loves or hates?

I definitely don't hate the final season of Roseanne. It had some really funny episodes and ultimately worked, but it went against the mission statement of the show and definitely felt out of place.

If anything, I'm sure people would like the season more if Roseanne ended at season 8 and season 9 was some kind of spin-off.

17. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

personally I'm glad MichaelFA came out of the woodwork and praised season 9. It gets old when the general 90% of the consensus is that "season 9 sucks" and they always are quick to point out why they hated it, I'm glad someone is quick to point out what they LIKED about it instead. I would rather watch season 9 over the first two seasons ANYTIME.

Season 9 is not a very accessable season to the Roseanne newbie, but it is definately a very watchable season and a lot of fans have come back around and given it another chance and found out it really isn't that dreadful. Personally, I found the last season of Roseanne more exciting and eventful than the last four seasons of Friends without a doubt.

18. jakeDust

jakeDust Extra

Did anyone hear about the season 3 contest from Anchor Bay. I entered but havent heard anything back yet. Heere is the email i got.
    __________________________________________________ _________

Roseanne Fans,

Who’s ready for another contest? This one is really going to pay off. Roseanne is planning something special for the Season 5 release of Roseanne. As a bonus feature, she will be answering your questions! Email us at RoseanneFan3 at marsusa dot com with a question you’ve been dying to ask Roseanne, and if yours is chosen, Roseanne herself will be answering it on the Season 5 DVD!

As an added bonus, the first 50 people to submit a question will receive a free Season 3 DVD! This disc set has all 25 original UNCUT episodes from Season 3, plus great extras you don’t want to miss, including:

- Laurie Metcalf Interview: “The Sister That Never Leaves”
    - Lecy Goranson Interview: “I Was a Teenage Becky,” and
    - The Best of Season 3

We look forward to reviewing your questions. And remember, you won’t know if your question has been selected until Season 5 is released. Good Luck!

19. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I had thought about picking up the series but after watching the final episode of the series and the fact that it was all a dream sequence of Rosanne reminescing about Dan I was very disappointed at the shows producers.

20. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

By that point Roseanne was in full creative control - she often penned the story, some times the script and often directed the last season. She was also showrunner.