What's new

ROSEANNE reboot — what are your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first two episodes tonight. I’m also watching the original on Amazon Prime. What a contrast! The new show is shrill, the majority of the humor is forced and the cast are caricatures of their former selves. There seems to be so much anger between the characters as opposed to the original when Roseanne and Dan would crack each other up despite all the problems they faced. Not going to give this much more of my time.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'll give it some time. I saw it last night. It was typical "Pilot Syndrome" where, in this case, the cast is trying to find their way back into a regular sitcom schedule after years of being off the air. I'll know for sure if the show's worth watching after the third or fourth regular episode.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Loved it and the audience it favors. The networks are shocked that such a conservative show is so high in ratings. But all anyone really cares about is MONEY so they love it too. Now if they would just bring Tim Allen's Last Man Standing back, which I wouldn't be surprised at now, then I would be even more thrilled. :D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Loved it and the audience it favors. The networks are shocked that such a conservative show is so high in ratings. But all anyone really cares about is MONEY so they love it too. Now if they would just bring Tim Allen's Last Man Standing back, which I wouldn't be surprised at now, then I would be even more thrilled. :D

Last Man Standing, living in their richy rich million dollar mansion was a joke, not surprised it was cancelled. Hard to believe Modern Family is still running, do these people have some magic money tree in their backyards? At least Roseanne is little bit more believable, living in a more normal, middle class home.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
It's garbage. Just what people like today. Barr does a good job of playing "trailer-trash"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Last night's episode was a shocking ditch of her earlier show. This article really sums it up:

https://decider.com/2018/04/04/new-roseanne-advocates/
In between remembering their own misspent youth, Roseanne directs Jackie to the spot on the wall where their father used to hang the belt he would regularly beat them with when they misbehaved. The Harris sisters’ complicated relationship with their father was always alluded to, but here it was being made explicit. Their father used to beat them as punishment. “Let’s face it, Jackie, our family was totally screwed up,” Roseanne says. “Which is probably why I got fat and why you can’t have a decent relationship with any man.” The lesson Roseanne takes away from these memories are to be a different kind of parent for Darlene.

The tendrils of an abusive childhood were a subject often revisited on the show, always with a hard-line stance against physical punishment. This was a show that did not take kindly to abusers of any stripe. No matter how loudly and harshly Roseanne would yell at her kids, she drew a line. In the season 6 episode “The Driver’s Seat,” Roseanne impulsively spanks her pre-teen son D.J. after he took the car out and crashed it. She’s immediately wracked with guilt and ends up tearfully apologizing to D.J. She tells him she got hit when she was a kid and promises to never do it again. It’s one of the more affecting scene in the show’s history.

In the (original) series finale, as the Roseanne character reminisces about the life that she had written about, she put it plainly: “Dan and I always felt that it was our responsibility as parents to improve the lives of our children by 50% over our own. And we did. We didn’t hit our children, as we were hit. We didn’t demand their unquestioning silence.”

Here's the thing: and this isn't liberal/conservative. I've never once hit any of my kids. Not once. They grew up to be pretty good, well mannered kids. I've never had issues. Roseanne suddenly flipping where she stands on physical punishment is like rolling back one of the core concepts of the original series, where Barr would talk about how physical punishment messed her up; how there had to be a better way; etc. Now she's going after her daughter for not beating a kid after the granddaughter uses the kind of mouth you see in this show over and over and over again?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Last night's episode was a shocking ditch of her earlier show. This article really sums it up:

https://decider.com/2018/04/04/new-roseanne-advocates/

Here's the thing: and this isn't liberal/conservative. I've never once hit any of my kids. Not once. They grew up to be pretty good, well mannered kids. I've never had issues. Roseanne suddenly flipping where she stands on physical punishment is like rolling back one of the core concepts of the original series, where Barr would talk about how physical punishment messed her up; how there had to be a better way; etc. Now she's going after her daughter for not beating a kid after the granddaughter uses the kind of mouth you see in this show over and over and over again?

I thought maybe I was misremembering because Roseanne and Dan’s attitude struck me as very odd.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I thought maybe I was misremembering because Roseanne and Dan’s attitude struck me as very odd.

No, this one is very odd. Not at all like the original which I really enjoyed. Watched the first episode and gave up. I may try one more, but wow, it has changed so much.

Reboots like "Will and Grace" are fantastic. This is awful.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn't find the show only conservative. The lead character is, but Rosanne's sister is liberal. We have a young boy who is not your standard male kid, but the conservative Rosanne is open to allowing him to be different. Dan's worries are largely his concern for the kid's safety.

I don't think my wife and I are in the "constantly struggling to get by" category, yet I enjoyed the original and the rebirth.

I think it's been mentioned, but one thing I noticed is that the actors seemed self-conscious. It was like "we're on stage playing the people for the first time in years." I think that'll get better. We haven't watched the 3rd episode yet.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I didn't find the show only conservative. The lead character is, but Rosanne's sister is liberal. We have a young boy who is not your standard male kid, but the conservative Rosanne is open to allowing him to be different. Dan's worries are largely his concern for the kid's safety.

I don't think my wife and I are in the "constantly struggling to get by" category, yet I enjoyed the original and the rebirth.

I think it's been mentioned, but one thing I noticed is that the actors seemed self-conscious. It was like "we're on stage playing the people for the first time in years." I think that'll get better. We haven't watched the 3rd episode yet.

I agree. I only watched it after reading a comment from Sara Gilbert and I actually found it pretty even handed, politically. And according to Sara, politics doesn’t play any more of a part in the remainder of the season.

I found the premier very funny (reminded me of the heyday of “All in the Family”) and the other 2 eps quite funny as well, especially the third. I did notice the change in Roseanne and Dan’s characters a bit, but that happens in life as well sometimes as people get older. It obviously seems to have happened to Roseanne Barr in real life.

So far I am enjoying the reboot immensely. Just separating the program from it’s titular star and her off-screen behavior and statements.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
So far I am enjoying the reboot immensely. Just separating the program from it’s titular star and her off-screen behavior and statements.

That's the hard part, to separate her off-screen behavior, because it still comes through in her performance and the writing.There are many "celebrities" whose shows I no longer watch because of their out-spoken, often un-educated views on life. Being celebrities, they think they can preach and spout their opinions to the rest of us.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Depends upon your own personal views. Yours are no more valid than those on opposite side and are from those equally qualified to make them. I find her and those with courage enough to speak their mind a lot more likable than those that don't.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, so likable and courageous. :rolleyes:
roseanne-hitler.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depends upon your own personal views. Yours are no more valid than those on opposite side and are from those equally qualified to make them. I find her and those with courage enough to speak their mind a lot more likable than those that don't.
I never thought of Roseanne Barr as being likable even back when she was doing stand up comedy.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
This week’s episode was a bit closer to the original Roseanne. But some of their “acting” needs to be dialed down several notches! Go back to season one where you acted like a believable family.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Most of these people have actors have been out of the game since the first run, or are brand new to TV acting so I think we can give them a pass for a few episodes, to allow them to get their sea legs.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Maybe I'm just getting old and sappy, but I thought the latest episode was brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks