1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

ROSEANNE reboot — what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MatthewA, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Message #441 of 466 Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I wish this new incarnation success.
    I was not a viewer of Rosanne;
    but I felt that the cast and crew were dealt a nasty hand.
    The off-set actions of one and EVERYONE ELSE gets canned, too?
    I hope that the new premises and dynamics of the cast are given their due time to grow and develop.
    There's a lot of talent in that room and its their time to shine even further.
    Win, lose or draw; it was the right thing for ABC to do.
    Good luck to them all !!!

Hollywoodaholic likes this.
  2. Message #442 of 466 Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'll be more interested to see the ratings over the next couple of weeks. I expected them to be high for last night's debut because of the curiosity factor. As a viewer of both the original Roseanne series as well as the revival from earlier this year, I watched last night's show to see how things would be handled, and I don't plan on watching any of the remaining episodes.

Outside of a couple of John Goodman-centered moments and the Estelle Parsons cameo, I thought the show was awful. They should have just renamed the series "Everybody Loves Darlene". It was clear last season that Sara Gilbert, also a producer, was wanting this to be a more Darlene-centric series. Now with Roseanne gone, it's definitely going that way. Gilbert was a major part of almost every scene in last night's episode, with her character being portrayed as the go-to person who can do everything and encourage everyone. Sorry, but while I would have watched another season of Roseanne's show, I'm not interested in watching the Sara Gilbert vanity project.

I don't typically wish for a show's cancellation, even if I don't want to see it. But in this case, I hope it has a huge drop-off in ratings over the next few weeks and does not get a renewal. I look forward to seeing Goodman and Laurie Metcalf again in their next projects.

3. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Well, the numbers refers to how many people watched the episode.and the site where I got those numbers from, some entertainment website, pre-reported the numbers I posted without checking their sources.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I watched it last night. To be honest I thought it was be worse than it was. Yes, it’s Darlene-centric but some of it was funny and true (Jackie, for example). I found the reboot wildly uneven so we’ll see where this goes.

5. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I am disappointed in the direction they have taken Darlene and David's son, Mark.
    Last year he seemed to be a kid that like to wear flamboyant clothes, perhaps transgender or transsexual, perhaps not. This character was interesting, with a wide path for development, and many different possibilities.
    Now, they seem to have made him into a stereotype: "The Flaming Gay" kid. BORING!
    I have zero problem with the sexual orientation of any character. I just hate that they made this boring choice rather than pursue another path.

6. tempest21

Mark
    Hollywood has never been able to treat certain groups of our population with any kind of respect. It happened a lot with black characters in the 70's and 80's in Hollywood. Your typical black character was always portrayed as a thug or part of the criminal element. Today, Hollywood has just shifted the momentum to other groups.

How many times has Hollywood white-washed a Japanese anime property from predominantly Asian characters (think Ghost in the Shell movie) Major Motoko Kusanagi, portrayed by an American actress (Scarlett Johansson). LGBTQ characters are no different, Hollywood just focuses to another marginalized group.

I think Hollywood doesn't know how to write these characters and they become too pigeonholed before they figure it out.

Dheiner likes this.
  7. tempest21

Mark
    Doesn't look like "The Connors" is doing very well in the ratings. Deadline reports that the spinoff sitcom "was down 29% in 18-49 (-26% from the fast national) and down 26% in viewers from the premiere." Looks like the executives at ABC should have rethought their plans regarding Roseanne Barr before they killed off her character and paid the actress a large sum of money. Speculation is that the series might not survive past this first season.

Johnny Depp beats the hell out of wife, they keep him as an actor with the studio. But, they fire James Gunn and Roseanne Barr? ABC is in the same boat as they were in when they were talking about bringing Dan Connor back from the dead. This time, it's Roseanne they need to bring back from the dead (or ignore The Connors series and bring Roseanne back for a second season).

8. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Nonsense. The Conners is actually holding up well. From EW:

“The Conners had 7.7 million viewers and a 1.8 rating among adults 18-49, which is up a tenth of a point from last week, which was up against the World Series.

The series’ strong premiere number was largely chalked up to curiosity about how the show would resolve the departure of star Roseanne Barr. But that the subsequent two episodes have delivered a roughly similar (and still very good) number is definitely a positive sign suggesting some degree of stability, with The Conners once again coming in second place to NBC’s This Is Us in the demo. The next few weeks will continue to be crucial, but at least at this point the comedy is doing very well while out from under the shadow of its former star.”

The Obsolete Man likes this.
  9. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    Did they also mention the show is the highest rated sitcom ABC has by far, won the 18-49 demo at 8 PM and was second in the night only to This Is Us, and is virtually stable from last week to this week?

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-final-ratings-oct-30-2018/

I'm betting ABC wishes they had all their shows "not doing very well" like that.

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’ve noticed that Mark (tempest21) occasionally doesn’t let the facts get in the way of a good story.

11. tempest21

Mark
    I don't let facts get in the way of what I'm posting and I don't consider facts about information to be inconvenient either. I'm just careful about how much I post from another new media website. I don't post it unless I have a source where that information is coming from. I try to stay away from posting entire snippets of a new article because news media sites have the tendency to get irate when people cut and paste the entire length of their story on another website. That's why I also post links.

While some media organizations don't go looking for it, they tend to allow their lawyers to file complaints against the website where their entire articles have been reposted at. Check out the many articles about C&D letters and intellectual property lawsuits filed against websites quite frequently. techdirt.com is always reporting on this and there are free speech lawyers who are always taking up these cases to defend websites from.

I'm just very careful about how much I post from another article from those sites, as everyone should be careful when reposting.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Since the topic has come up, it's as good a time as any to remind members that we have a section on that very topic in our rules:

tempest21 likes this.
  13. tempest21

Mark
    Thanks, Mike. That's something that many forum members on many websites don't realize and exactly why I also don't allow it on my own anime community forums. These days, with all of the lawsuits being filed by news organizations, you can;t be too careful. Fair use only allows brief snippets of a news article, if you're cut and pasting contents of said article. ;)

14. Message #454 of 466 Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Channing Dungey, the executive who fired Roseanne, has left ABC. Meanwhile, the novelty of what is essentially Roseanne without Roseanne is starting to wear off; ratings are still down from the season 9 and 10 premieres, and the cast is taking a pay cut.

Bottom line: don't expect this show to last as long as Valerie did without Valerie Harper; that also involved a network change to get it a sixth season to push it over the 100-episode mark.* This is damage control and everyone knows it. I honestly think this season may be it. EDIT: Unless Katey Sagal can salvage it.

*The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Blossom replaced it and ALF on NBC's Monday night line-up. Yet again, Jason Bateman got pushed out for Alfonzo Ribiero. Somehow I don't think that'll happen a third time.

15. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    Technically, Too Close for Comfort was over and done with. It was its spinoff The Ted Knight Show that was interrupted by his death.

16. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Malcolm R likes this.
  17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Well, the ratings did fall off a bit, but it's still the highest rated show on ABC other than "Grey's Anatomy".

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    That being said, why wouldn’t it be renewed?

19. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    I went to watch an episode of THE CONNERS due to the show's high ratings but I had to turn it off after 5 minutes. The continual canned laughter was ,in my opinion EXTREMELY off -putting and VERY DISTRACTING.Who was responsible for this atrocity? When will Producers learn that canned laughter ruins a show and is totally unnecessary.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It's not always "canned". Some shows are filmed before a live audience which, hopefully, will laugh at the punchlines.

Plus some people are not bothered by it. After all, that's how most sitcoms were produced until more recent years.

As someone who grew up in that era, I actually find the silence of modern single-camera sitcoms rather distracting at times.