What's new

Rose Marie has passed 12-28-2017 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
She recently began posting on twitter.
I think she was promoting a doc that she was part of.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the trailer for "Wait For Your Laugh', the new documentary just released in November . Hopefully it will be released on DVD and/or show up on Netflix or HBO.

Here is the NY Times Review of the documentary.

By Jason Zinoman
Nov. 2, 2017
Rose Marie has been famous for so long that “Wait for Your Laugh,” a charming documentary about her nine decades as a performer, doubles as a history of 20th-century show business, focusing on vaudeville, early radio comedy, the birth of Las Vegas and the evolution of the female sitcom star.
Now 94, Rose Marie, who proudly asserts that she went by her first name before any other celebrity, started singing for crowds at the age of 3, pairing an adorable child’s face with the brassy belt of a grizzled diva. That distinctive voice would later become a terrific vehicle for punch lines. After gaining fame onstage, where she sang a duet with Evelyn Nesbit (the chorus girl whose husband killed the architect Stanford White, setting off a media circus), she moved to radio, film and most notably television. There she co-starred as a wisecracking comedy writer on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” and later for many years on “Hollywood Squares.” In between the successes of Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, Rose Marie, this movie argues, was one of the most important female comic voices in America.
Carl Reiner and Mr. Van Dyke provide colorful personal testimony about working with her — and Dan Harmon, the creator of “Community,” displays an insightful critic’s eye — but the heart of this movie is Rose Marie talking you through her own life with the same attention to pleasing the audience as she shows onstage. Her steely good cheer is good company as she relates taut, action-packed stories about run-ins with Al Capone and Jimmy Durante with a minimum of introspection.
Jason Wise’s documentary, which relies on re-enactments and backstage footage with sparing use of performances, is a love letter to the performer but not the business, in which she managed to achieve a measure of fame for nine decades, while still being overlooked. Her single-minded focus on work is presented as admirable but also something of a curse. As in the documentary “Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work,” this is a movie about a star never at peace unless she’s performing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/...augh-review-gilbert-gottfried-rose-marie.html

In the clips from the trailer you can see the Writers Room and Petrie living room sets in color. They are both just shades of brown. Not as portrayed in the colorized shows. Again the sets were done to look good in B &W. If the show had switched to color the sets would have been redone.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Luckily, I was able to see her introduce the new documentary on her life earlier this month at a screening here in L.A. While a bit frail, she was still sharp as a tack. And what a treat to see her enjoy the acclaim and praise being lavished on her for her remarkable career. ❤️

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Just a couple of weeks ago, I heard Rose Marie on the JIMMY DURANTE radio show.
12-24-1948.
She did a sweat impression of Durante. Very well done.

Rest In Peace!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is an article Rose Marie wrote for the Hollywood reporter December 7, 2017.

Dick Van Dyke' Star Rose Marie: What Happened When I Publicly Shamed My Harasser (Guest Column)
6:30 AM PST 12/7/2017 by Rose Marie

The trailblazing actress, who has a new documentary out about her 90 years in showbiz, reveals how a moment of standing up to a producer's sexual harassment impacted her career.
I started in this business when I was 3. From the beginning, I was co-starring or headlining with the major male and female acts of the day, and all of them treated me wonderfully and respected me and my talent. I believe because of how I began, I always walked into a job or an audition assured of my talent and expected to be treated like a lady and an equal.

With one exception, I always was.

That one exception taught me what was happening to other women in the business. It occurred when I was about to wrap filming on the 1954 musical Top Banana. The producer of the film came up to me after I'd run through the song called "I Fought Every Step of the Way," which had boxing references, and said that he could show me a few positions. He wasn't referring to boxing.

I laughed it off, but he said he was serious and that the picture could be mine. Well, in front of everyone onstage, I said, "You son of a bitch, you couldn't get it up if a flag went by." Needless to say, that didn't go over well with him, and all my musical numbers were cut from the film. I had no idea that his reaction to my refusal would be so bad.

I realized then that the rumors of the casting couch weren't jokes and why some actresses were getting breaks and why others, sometimes way more talented, weren't.

Nothing like that ever happened again — maybe because of how self-assured I was or because of how I played things off with my comedy. Certainly it never happened on the set of The Dick Van Dyke Show, but there was some friction that developed that does speak to the perception of women and what is expected of them in Hollywood.

I'd been told when I was hired that the focus was going to be on the writers room, where my character, Sally Rogers, was a television writer, and I would be co-starring with Dick [Van Dyke]. As time went on, I realized that the focus was actually on the home life and on his TV wife, Mary Tyler Moore. I didn't like that. I was disappointed. I wanted to work more. The situation was made more difficult because Mary was younger and prettier than me and, I'll admit it, I was jealous of all the attention she was getting.

Carl Reiner, the creator of the show and whose life it was based on, says in the November documentary about my showbiz career, Wait for Your Laugh, that we both had great legs, but "they" wanted to look at her legs. I'm not sure who "they" were. Men in our audience? Women in our audience? Studio execs? Show producers? Advertisers? Whoever it was, I didn't fit their bill.

Sally was a groundbreaking character in part because it wasn't expected that a woman would be equal to men in a professional setting and make the same salary. At the same time, the "ideal woman" was still whichever one was younger and prettier.

I find it interesting that so much of the talk today about our show isn't about either of our legs, but rather what a trailblazing character Sally was. There are so many people, especially writers and comediennes, who were inspired by her. She has had a tremendous impact and even paved the way for the characters in That Girl and Mary's next series, The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

I'm always asked if I knew the impact Sally would have, and honestly, I didn't. I just did it. I didn't spend time thinking about the fact that Mary Tyler Moore was playing a character who stayed at home and waited for her husband while I was at the office working with him.

I'm not really sure if things have gotten better or worse. I'm not on a set every day. On the one hand, now there are more women directors, producers and studio execs, and I think that is wonderful. On the other hand, there's a new "casting couch" story coming out every day.

I guess it's improving in that they're finally talking about it and standing up and saying, "No more," much like I did many years ago.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A beautiful message from Rose Marie's daughter, Georgiana "Noopy" Rodrigues...

26165194_1969631916385863_1987575232653627139_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks