What's new

Roscoe Lee Browne has died (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Actor Roscoe Lee Browne, whose rich voice and dignified bearing brought him an Emmy Award and a Tony nomination, has died. He was 81.

Browne died early Wednesday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a long battle with cancer.

Browne's career included classic theater to TV cartoons. He also was a poet and a former world-class athlete.

In movies, he was a spy in the 1969 Alfred Hitchcock feature "Topaz" and a camp cook in 1972's "The Cowboys," which starred John Wayne.

"Some critics complained that I spoke too well to be believable" in the cook's role, Browne told The Washington Post in 1972. "When a critic makes that remark, I think, if I had said, 'Yassuh, boss' to John Wayne, then the critic would have taken a shine to me."

On television, he had several memorable guest roles. He was a snobbish black lawyer trapped in an elevator with bigot Archie Bunker in an episode of the 1970s TV comedy "All in the Family" and the butler Saunders in the comedy "Soap." He won an Emmy in 1986 for a guest role as Professor Foster on "The Cosby Show."

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Oh man.. I had to look him up, but once I saw who he was.... I agree... sad day....

RIP Mr. Browne....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Until I read his obit I didn't realize that Mr. Browne narrated Babe & Babe: Pig in the City.

BTW, if you've never watched that second film, do yourself a favor. I love that movie.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Henry, I didn't watch the first movie.

Box: Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
He was in some horror movie when I was a toddler, and I remember being totally spooked by his presence! (A credit to his acting and wonderful, deep voice.)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Cool...The Kingpin on the 90s Spider-Man series was white, but voiced by a black actor, then the live action Kingpin was played by Michael Clarke Duncan in Daredevil. I think the 90s Spider-Man series was often very cheesy and doesn't date well (certainly doesn't have the timelessness of the 90s Batman animated series), but there was some perfect voice casting, and Roscoe Lee Browne was an example. The same goes for Ed Asner at Jameson...I couldn't hear their voices in anything else without thinking of them as their Spider-Man characters.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, as a kid growing up in the 70's I remember him best as the voice of Box: "Overwhelming, am I not?"

R.I.P. Mr. Brown.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wow, just saw this.
We have been watching all the SOAP eps. in order and we are in S4 and the other nite we watched an ep. where Billy's ex tries to blow everyone up with a grenade. The colonel takes it into the kitchen to "disarm it", it explodes and Saunders, (Roscoe..) said a line that almost had us in tears...
"Madam, dinner is on the stove. Unfortunately, the stove is in the swimming pool..." delivered so perfectly and dryly...

What a talent.

RIP, sir. :) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks