What's new

Roots Box Set and Toshiba Player SD-2109 (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Hi,

Just received the Roots box set today, whacked it in my Toshiba SD-2109 to start watchng and, after 8,9 minutes the subtitles come up. So, I go into the subtitle menu and it tells me that the subtitles are off? So, I switch them on/off and the subtitles go off... then about a minute later, they come on again. It happens all throught the duration of dics 1 and disappointingly, this is the same problem on ALL 3 discs.

Anyone shed any light on this - has any mention of it occured anywhere else on the net? Anyone else experienced it?

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not specifically with ROOTS, but I used to have a SD-2108 (since given to mother-in-law) and this problem occurred on some discs.

Specifically 2010 (MGM) and EMMA (Miramax) had problems in specific chapters with subtitles coming on and no way to turn off. I sent the player in for the latest firmware upgrade at one point but it did not solve this particular problem.

It seems to be a common problem with certain Toshiba models.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Hi. Thanks for that info.
On further inspection, disc 3 ( eps 5 & 6 )is ok... but disc 1 + 2 just can't turn'em off... :frowning:
Still, the dics's work fine on my PS2 and in my PC dvd drive.
If anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Andy W

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem Neil described above. It happens on both my Toshiba SD-1200 and Toshiba SD-3107.

Does anybody have a Warner Bros. DVD customer service phone number?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
You can try talking to Warner, but my guess is you won't get very far. They will see this as a Toshiba problem, since it only seems to happen on their players.

On the one hand you could argue that studios should provide discs that any player meeting the DVD specs can play successfully. On the other hand, when only one manufacturer's players seem to have a particular problem you could argue that they must be doing something wrong and should fix it in their manufacturing or firmware.

I think your best bet is to try to get Toshiba to develop a firmware update.

Brian O

Second Unit
Any 3109 owners out there having problems with Roots too? I can get this for $30 but dont want to hassle with the issues.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I have a problem with the feature pausing and backing up about 20 seconds, I'm guessing at the video branching points. I've never had any other problems with my Pioneer DV-414

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks