Roots: 25th Anniversary DVD - Beautiful but ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Gardner, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

For a 25 year old mini-series - this DVD looks awesome. Just seeing all of the actors is outstanding (since a lot have passed away).

However, I was all set to watch this miniseries this weekend and am somewhat annoyed that Warner Bros has decided to release them on flippers. Episode 1/2 - Disc 1, Episode 3/4 - Disc 2, Episode 5/6 - Disc 3. Each disc episode does not fill the disc.

Was planning on putting the series in my changer and watch non-stop. Now I can't.

The packaging is nice - 3 disc gatefold. For people who care - the box set is the same height/width of a snapper - so it stands out from other non-Warner boxsets.

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    You where planning on watching Roots from beginning to end without getting out of your seat? Yikes! [​IMG]

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Larry,

I second the opinion of Mr. Lawrence.

Unless you planned to sit from beginning

to end without getting out of your seat, I

don't know why the side division is a problem.

Actually, the division works out very well.

In a lengthy miniseries such as this, I'd rather

have the opportunity to stretch my legs after

watching an episode and then flip the disc over

to watch the next one.

I'm not condemning your preference to want to

be able to switch episodes on the fly without

getting up, but I just don't see this as a major

hassle for anyone.

4. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Sounds like a few people need a little slack in their lives. Praise Bob! [​IMG]

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I think I know what Larry is talking about, though. It's nice to watch continuously when you can and then pick up where you left off, leaving the discs in the player over however long you are watching them. I know if the baby cries and I have to interrupt my viewing 10 minutes before the end of a disc side, it's convenient, if not exactly essential, to be able to keep watching without leaving the ol' Barca lounger. [​IMG] The fact that it is episodic television makes the breaks logical, at least.
    Regards,

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Larry and I are alike. He doesn't have a player. It's a changer, so they go in - AND DON'T COME OUT! I am a little ticked off too. I figured that they could have put 3 hours on a side, and the only way out is to fork over another fifty bucks. Sheeech!

Glenn

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

8. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

For me, the lack of the ability for any DVD changer to play both sides of a DVD just means that I don't even consider the purchase of one. I say that this is the player manufacturers' fault for not addressing this need. This feature was available on many laserdisk players, so should be less of a problem for smaller DVDs.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    PLUS WHAT ABOUT DUST CONCERNS that always concerned my on CD Changers, the discs get dust, no way to avoid it.

10. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

I beleive the Sony CX860 (300 DVD changer) plays both sides, it's been out ages, fairly cheap too, but in price not in quality.

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I keep my cases on some shelves for easy access if I need to see/read something. I just don't have to pull them out.

As for the flippers, which these are, I just buy a second copy. Some of them get to the end of the first disk and automatically eject, go to the next DVD and start playing, which is really nice.

I don't understand the 'dust' problem. Ok, I know that they are not airtight, put they are pretty close to it. I never have had to clean any of mine. No fingerprints or taco dip to deal with too.

Glenn

14. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I don't know about Larry, but I do. You have to realize that there are not that many flippers out, and they are all old, so they sell for like $10.98 or whatever. I have six, and three of them run automatically. Besides, pulling a disk out of a 300 unit changer isn't all that fun.

I did have to look around in order to find the 3 disk version of the 10th Kingdom. That one saved me from buying another set, but I figure that in 50 years, when the flippers will become collector's items, I'll have 2 and make a killing.

Glenn

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'm with the folks who are annoyed by the fact Roots is a flipper. Would I ever want to watch all 567 minutes of it all in one sitting? Of course not, but there was no reason for the breaks to be forced on us. It looks like the third DVD needed to be double-sided; side six is dual-layered, so I guess it needed extra headroom. (This is probably because of the video commentary; the sixth episode is only about 95 minutes long, and the "documentary" on side six doesn't run very long.)

However, the first two discs could and should have been RS-DL. It's not a major complaint, but I still thought it was an unneeded nuisance...