Roone Arledge died!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Roone Arledge, one of the great pioneers in sports television died today. Read about his contributions in not only sports, but in network news coverage. His contributions certainly affected my life as to my enjoyment of watching the news and sports on television.
    http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/arledgeobit.html

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A loss indeed. While Wide World of Sports is way past its time due to glut of programming available via cable/satellite, Monday Night Football remains an institution.

Who else would have hired Cosell? Or allowed Don Meredith to sing (badly) as a game degenerated?

A visionary for sure.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was watching ESPN Sports Center tonight and was saddened by the new of his passing. He left an indelible mark on how sports and news programming were broadcasted on TV, and knew that once you focus on the people that participated in sports and current events, you gave the viewers a reason to care about not only the outcome of the events, but the people as well.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I think Arledge's greatest accomplishments were ABC's telecasts of the Olympics in the 60s & 70s. Having grown up watching these amazing broadcasts, I find it hard to watch what they have become lately. ABC under Roone Arledge did the Olympics right; no one since has come close.

R.I.P. Mr Arledge.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer