What's new

Room Size & Speaker Size (1 Viewer)

Dave_QP

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Hi All

I really like the Focal Aria speakers but their website says "ideal for rooms measuring from 215ft2 (20m2)" with my room being a little under 16m2, should I continue my search else where?

Thanks
Dave

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not at all. I've never seen a suggestion like that before. If you like the sound of the Arias, then absolutely go for it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only issue with speakers relating to room size is perceived bass output.

For instance, a bookshelf speaker with 5-1/4” woofers might sound perfectly balanced in your bedroom, but “thin” and “weak” you move them to a large, open-concept living room or den. Conversely, larger speakers that sound balanced in the living room will probably sound bass-heavy in the bedroom. Axiom used to make recommendations for appropriate room sizes for their speakers. Frankly, I’m surprised more manufacturers don’t do it.

Bottom line, it appears your room is well under the Focal recommendation, so I don’t see any reason not to get the speakers you’re considering.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
All got to do with room gain. There is a solution to the problem. If you like the sound get it and do room treatment to fit them. You have the power.

Dave_QP

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
All got to do with room gain. There is a solution to the problem. If you like the sound get it and do room treatment to fit them. You have the power.

I might have the power

Thus the potential room gain effects are √2 greater than for a monopole woofer when operating at
the quarter wave frequency. However, Φ goes to zero as the frequency drops and, since cos(0) = 1
and sin(0) =0, we find that there is no net volume change over a cycle; the same result as for a
dipole, as the frequency goes to zero. The question then arises as to the behavior of ∆X between the
quarter wave frequency and zero Hz

I don't have the math though lol

Samuel1122

Auditioning
Real Name
Samuel
For example, a bookshelf speaker with 5-1/4" woofers may sound splendidly adjusted in your room, yet "thin" and powerless you move them to an expansive, open idea lounge room or cave, alternately, bigger speakers that sound adjusted in the parlor will most likely solid bass-overwhelming in the room...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks