Room Size & Layout

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Domonic A, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I am debating on wether I want to divide the room or leave it open. If I leave it open it would be roughly 33 X 14', divided would be 21 x 14'. I am also thinking of doing a bookcase in the front to conceal equipment so that would take off 2' from the length of the room. If I leave it open it allows me to to do more entertaining and things in the room, but I am not sure if I can acheive good sound with this sinario. I need your advise on this.

The back wall is the furnace room and bathroom and a 5' opening to the right that goes upstairs. I do not know If I can effectively mount speakers on the back wall to achieve 7.1 or if I should just stick to the 5.1. I currently have a Marantze 8000 reciever. I do not think it would be big enough to power a large room so it may need to be upgraded. I am also unsure at this time if I am going to utilize a drop screen and projector or a large screen plasma.

I have a drawing of the basement at the link below. Please take a look and give me your feedback

am debating on wether I want to divide the room or leave it open. If I leave it open it would be roughly 33 X 14', divided would be 21 x 14'. I am also thinking of doing a bookcase in the front to conceal equipment so that would take off 2' from the length of the roomIf I leave it open it allows me to to do more entertaining and things in the room, but I am not sure if I can acheive good sound with this sinario. I need your advise on this.

The back wall is the furnace room and bathroom and a 5' opening to the right that goes upstairs. I do not know If I can effectively mount speakers on the back wall to achieve 7.1 or if I should just stick to the 5.1. I currently have a Marantze 8000 reciever. I do not think it would be big enough to power a large room so it may need to be upgraded. I am also unsure at this time if I am going to utilize a drop screen and projector or a large screen plasma.

I have a drawing of the basement but do not know how to get it posted, can someone help me. This will definetly help to visualize.

Apperently I can not post the link to the drawing as I am new and have not posted enough to have access. I can email to who ever would like to look.

Thanks for your help,

Domonic

2. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I am not a pro installer, but if you would be happy with a 5.1 set up you could place/mount/install your surrounds about 2/3 of the length of your room from the front angling them slightly to the listening area.

That would give you a listening area 14 x 21 approx. The area 'behind' the sound 'circle' would still be open.

I think there are movable curtains for this sort of set-up if you still want the space, but prefer to have a more reflective sound from a rear surface.

Just a thought...