Room shape totally messing with bass, help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by NickSo, Mar 22, 2005.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay i need some advice here (ill have a drawing of the room when i get home, at school right now)

The room used for HT is also used for 2 ch audio (with the JBLs, Paradigms are for HT, which is fine. Sub is not used for 2ch audio). However, the way the speakers are positioned, and the room is shaped, is causing huge bass cancellation at listening position.

The room is somehwat rectangle, except for the left there is a small area that extends out about 3 feet, and the back of the room, where half of the back wall is a closet, the other half is indented about 2 feet a nook. and in the nook is a book case.

[​IMG]
    (not to scale)

On the couch at listening position i can barely hear any midbass, but if i sit up on the 'back' of the couch and lean back towards the back nook i can hear all the missing bass. This is where the RED is.

I have a few sound-absorption tubes (i forget what they're called at the moment), normally the larger ones (for lower frequencies from what i understand) are placed at the two front corners of the room. I tried, however, placing one of them in the nook where the bass is loud to absorb any bass from reflecting back out and cancelling, with no luck. I tried sticking in blankets and pillows in the bookcase to try and do the same thing with no luck.

Any ideas on how i could remedy this?

2. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ethan's link, and also you will have to move your speakers and/or your listening position.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Chris: Any ideas/refrence links for moving the speakers for getting rid of this null? Like farter away from side walls, farther back, forward, etc? Or any methods i could try before trying to make some bass traps

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nick, have you tried the sub in different locations? Your current location looks like a pretty poor choice to me. Also, I assume you’ve tried different phase settings?

P.S. You need to get that picture in your signature fixed! I always thought it was really cool. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Wayne: The sub in that location works pretty decent (i have played around with it, the position there seems to be the best in terms of sound and convenience) with movies, but the problem i am having right now is the bass performance of 2ch (no sub) out of the JBLs (used strictly for 2ch audio).

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, I have no idea, the cheapest way is to just start moving them all around and keep measuring sweeps to see what happens. The other idea would be to model your room with acoustical software, but with an oddly shaped room that's difficult, so moving them around may be your best route anyway.

Second, bass traps are *ALWAYS* a good idea. [​IMG]