room setup question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_UXM, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

i have a basically square room, and i'm trying to figure out where to put the couch, TV and speakers.

the room... picture this:

C = concrete
    | = plain wall
    _ = plain wall
    : = window
    B = breakfast bar
    s = speaker

CCCCCCCC
    B............|
    B............:
    B............:
    B............:
    ..............|
    _________|

the east wall is bare (painted, but no sheetrock or anything) concrete blocks, the west wall is a large flat, plain old wall, the north 'wall' is a breakfast bar into a small kitchen, and the south wall has a large window in the center. rough dimensions are 13' x 13'

i'm wondering which wall would be best for the couch and TV, or if it matters at all. i'm also quite interesting in knowing if have the conrcete wall behind or in front of me will make a difference.

thanks,
    -Matt

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Put the concrete wall behind the TV. The sofa and rears on the west wall. Firing your front speakers into concrete will cause massive reflections. The sound will be all over the place, and very bright. You might consider going to a fabric store and getting some cheap fabric to cover the wall with. You can make it a dark color for behind the TV. You might even want to put folds in it(Like movie theaters) to cut back reflections.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

On the concrete wall, put some furring strips up and then cover it with sheetrock, not hard or expensive and you will equalize the room, remember the "Clap" test clap your hands and listen for ecoes, other alternatives are traps, baffles etc, I have taken 2x4 sheets of plywood cover with carpet attach to the concrete wall so they extend out a few inches, clap test, move your baffles and furniture around, clap your hands, kinda sounds like a dance. . . works though.

4. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

thanks for the insight, although, i can't very well start building walls in my apartment. well... actually... however, i don't know if i'm dedicated enough yet to do that anyway. but i'll move my furniture around, and get some fabric. actually, i had already thought about that, but i didn't know if it would make any difference.

-Matt