Room Placement Admission...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hotch, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Dan Hotch

Dan Hotch Agent

I confess... ...originally, I told myself that speaker placement wasn't that important.

Last summer I went to visit a friend in Detroit and we listened to his new setup (Denon 3801 and B&W 602s). I was instantly turned on to quality audio (both HT and music.) So I decided to replace the outdated college special in my living room.

I could only justify Paradigm Atoms and a Sony SAWM40 run by an Onkyo 494 so I felt that my setup was not as good.

Well, I visited my friend again recently and he has moved his setup due to a new couch and a new girlfriend. Now it is cramped in a corner and the main speakers are too close together. When we listened to some music this time I new for sure that my setup sounded much better. His setup had almost no depth or soundstage and everything sounded very plain. I had to hide a smile when he commented that his receiver cost about as much as my whole system.

Just goes to show that speaker placement is important. I think I will spend a little time this weekend further testing my setup.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Dan, don't fault your friend for the compromises he's had to make. Everyone here on this forum has at one point in time had to make concessions of this sort unless they have negotiated a dedicated theater room with their SO. For me, my speakers have to be closer together than I would like simply due to room constraints. I think the ability to maximize performance with optimal placement of components is more the abberation than the norm unfortunately. Kudos to you for being able to have this flexibility.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Whats fun to do is take an afternoon and dedicate the room to your system. Pull the speakers out, toe them in, move the central seat, etc. Just to hear how good your system could sound without SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) issues.

A handy tool is a laser-pointer. Try and get the "pen" style with the long body. Roll it on a flat surface with the beam on and notice the spot on a nearby wall. If the spot moves back/forth without making circles, the beam is aligned with the body. Just hold the pen against the speaker cabinent to "see" where it is pointing. (You may be suprised how far off you are without using the laser pointer).

Good Luck.

4. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I agree with Evan, seeing as I am in this situation. The wall that my entertainment center butts up against, has a closet to the left, and a hallway to the right. Its a perfect fit, but does not allow me to place my bookshelf speakers to the sides.
    Well, Bob, wouldn't you know it... the wife goes on a business trip, and I rush home, I mean fly home.. I couldn't wait to rearrange the living roomm. I moved the couch, which is normally in the sweet spot, and put my leather rocker recliner and ottoman in its place. Moved my surround stands and brought out my bookshelf stands that normally rest in the computer room closet. Luckily, my sub sits in the rear corner, and works great even with SAF. I popped in one of my favs and cranked it up.. I will have to discuss rearranging the room under the guise of It's boring this way or something, because now I feel like I am missing out on what my system could sound like, and settling for what is has to sound like. [​IMG]