Room Layout

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gary TP, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm almost done planning out my room...
    What I need help from you guys with is any suggestions for the layout and the lighting i'm planning on putting in...

I already have the speakers (unmounted rears) and audio equipment..and i'll be getting the rest over the next few months...

Here's the layout & lighting:

Room Layout

Proposed Lighting

The words at the bottom are blocked in the image - Room is 21x16 and 1 Block in the image = 1 sq. ft.

Any tweaks or suggestions, especially when it comes to the rear placement, seating, and Lighting layout that I will be deciding? I have yet to get the actual chairs and screen, but i'm pretty sure the layout is how i'm planning on going....

Thanks guys!
    G

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The layout looks pretty good. Have you made accomodations for a possible future rear centre?

3. Gary TP

Well- what I was thinking is mounting my direct radiating rears to the side walls - maybe 1 ft behind the seating...

then eventually i'll swap them out for bipoles on the sides and moving the minimonitors (direct radiating) to the rear for 7.1.

This should work fine assuming that the layout presented works with bipoles on the side and in the exact same position (1 ft behind the seating)...

Either way, i'd be mounting the rear ported mini's on the wall with a clamp that holds it around 4-5 inches from the wall which should be ok being they are set to small...

4. Gary TP

bump...

any other comments?

lighting?

5. Gary TP

guess not...

6. JoshuaT

JoshuaT Stunt Coordinator

Are you going to add any wall lighting? What lighting controls are you going to use? I would suggest a panel from lutron if that fits with the way you are going to control the room. They offer several different panels that will allow you to do multizone dimming as well as full program one touch... I have been very happy with mine. Also, I assume that you are going to be using the red/blue dots as your zones... You may want to give more thought to your lighting zones. Now it may look fine, but lighting control is often one of the most overlooked parts of HT. It can completely change the mood of the room from PRO to OH NO! ;-) Overkill now will save you the "man, I wish I had done that" feeling in six months!

~josh

7. Gary TP

Well this is a prebuilt house and I don't want to run any wire...so I'm stuck with two switches...
    Therefore, I suppose I am stuck with two zones...

I thought maybe a front and a back would be best so I can do:

All on: no movie, just look and work in the room
    Front off, back dimmed - tv watching
    Front off, back off (or nearly off)- movie watching

I will be doing movie posters on the wall so maybe a few eyeball lights on the back switch would be nice...but I really don't think there's a lot two do with two switches on the wall (What I mean by two switches is that the wall currently has two switches, one that controls the light in the center of the room, and the other which does nothing- in place meant for a ceiling fan control)... I'm assuming both are wired to the junction box in the top middle of the room where the light is...