Room Layout troubles \ sound

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MartySa, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MartySa

MartySa Auditioning

Please help me. I am planning my htmedia room. I have decided to buy a projector, but I have also decided to buy a plasma for everday tv watching. I would like to put the plasma on one wall and project the projector on the adjacent wall. That way on game day (march madness) I could watch both at the same time or use one of the displayers to display fantasy football stats.

The question is what do I do for sound? Do I need to buy two receivers, and 10 speakers (seems a abit much)? I have read several hundered posts but it seems most people just have one display in their rooms. I can post a picture later if it helps.

Thanks.

2. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Do you really need sound for both? I would think that would get a little annoying, unless this is a really, really big room.

But yeah, if you want full surround sound for both sources, you would need 10 speakers. If you only want stereo, you'd only need 4, obviously.

As for receivers, many of the mid- to high-level (even some low-level) receivers have the "2nd room" feature which allow you to choose audio sources for two different rooms. I would think that running both at once would limit your power for each source though.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A retractable screen that would come down in front of the plasma seems like the simplest approach. The money that you would spend on an entire secondary audio system could be allocated to a nice tensioned motorized screen.

Moved to HT construction

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Neil, that’s a great “either/or” solution, but he wants to view both simultaneously.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt